Mid's Reborn: Hero Designer

Metalios

12 hours ago, magicjtv said:

I was hoping to pull the source code for this so I could experiment with it. Is this the repository? https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

The most recent code is found here: https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

The one you found is the slightly older Pines edition I believe.

mrb-social2_mini.png.464409b4404c13db31506dbe99d59609.png

Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer

The build planner to make your awesome characters even more awesome!

Into the Night "... and so we went into that dark night, for we knew our dawn would come again..."
~ The Meowcronomicon

Currently tried 2.6.0.7 but I can't get over the all blue color theme. Before, when I clicked on Villain, it would switch to the better red color theme. Seems with 2.6, this doesn't work and I can't see how to change the colors myself in any of the options.

4 hours ago, Rikis said:

Currently tried 2.6.0.7 but I can't get over the all blue color theme. Before, when I clicked on Villain, it would switch to the better red color theme. Seems with 2.6, this doesn't work and I can't see how to change the colors myself in any of the options.

It was changed to blue to aid with color blindness, IIRC.  I prefer the red theme as well, but c'est la vie.

9 hours ago, Felis Noctu said:

The most recent code is found here: https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

The one you found is the slightly older Pines edition I believe.

Thank you.

I'm guessing I'll need Visual Studio Community Edition to build it? It doesn't seem to want to build in VS Code. It's complaining about not being able to find System.Resources.Extensions.

4 hours ago, Apparition said:

It was changed to blue to aid with color blindness, IIRC.  I prefer the red theme as well, but c'est la vie.

A shame. I'm all for helping out with visual impairments, but since this was already an option that could be switched to back and forth, I'm not sure why it needed to be removed. After all, if the red was causing some difficulties, the user could have left it as blue/switched it to blue. Oh well, thanks for the heads up.

So, got some random error and Mids won't run

Nullerror.png.63f6c8c1550afa0c23de28af3b5da57f.png

Windows version, and that the entire story

Well, its a long story short.  Kinda funny really.  Working on a funky build.  Left the room, took a dump, and monitor took a dump on me.  Only gone 5 minutes. 

Monitor flashing, turned off into "sleep mode" and monitor powered up like hitting a key repeatedly.  Went to sleep mode again, rinse repeat every 10 seconds.  Could not turn off from the task menu, so had to hold the power key on the tower (monitor turned off fine normally, picture kept flashing of desktop).  Same thing happens after computer reboots.  I was not happy, worried it as the vid card.  Luckly I had my old monitor, plug it in and no problem so it has to be the monitor.   Kinda pissed, didn't get a chance to save that funky build after spending almost 2 hours on it; probably not a great combo anyway.

But Mids doesn't work, anything else seems to run normally until I find it weeks later I bet. I get similar results for another build program (similar concept, entirely different theme) for an entirely different game, but that one just doesn't load at all.

Anyone got an idea to problem solve it?

Edited by Outrider_01
  • Like 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

I did, several times.  Got it to work.  Finally reinstalled to the suggested spot instead of on another drive.  PRESTO, no problem.  Still not sure why the failing monitor, forced restart pulling the plug, and reinstalling like that worked.  Got to test that other monitor again, probably that excuse "swamp gas reflected off a weather ballon" while the moon is aligned with a bowl of fried chicken reason causing problems; it just had to happen 😖

Still wished I had that funky build, been brain farting random farm builds by combining different combos of not normally used together from; from the popular farm builds.  They look sorta impressive.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

(crosspost from MRBU thread)

On 3/28/2020 at 9:25 AM, r0y said:

As always, great work keeping the database updated and as close to the game as humanly possible!

Is there any plans to completely re-vamp the interface?  I mean, ground-up type re-invention / re-imagining level stuff?  This (theoretically) can be done separate from the database / numbers stuff, by a separate team...?

Just curious.

5 hours ago, Zed said:

(reading the whole thread)

Whoever asked about an interface revamp: our top priority right now is to squash bugs and inconsistencies in the database. But it seems to me making cosmetic changes or dusting off the UI would be like re-building a skyscrapper from scratch, the same, but using rods of titanium instead of steel.

Yeah, redoing the interface probably isn't worth the effort involved to get a roughly similar result. A lot of it is tied to the functionality directly, so it'd be a lot more than just changing the visual forms involved.

7 hours ago, Redlynne said:
12 hours ago, Apparition said:
17 hours ago, Rikis said:

Kind of wondering why Blue/Red/Gold wasn't made an option to deal with the color blindness issue ...

The color scheme seems to be built primarily with images (really just one) and some color values for things like the text of selected powers, the summary box, etc. While doing an overhaul of the interface like mentioned above probably isn't worth the time, adding color schemes probably wouldn't be all that difficult. The only thing the Hero/Villain button seems to do at this point is change the names of Accolades and some Temp powers.

I'd say this is something we could probably add to the MRBU docket if @Procat is up for dealing with the code. Or at least the compiling if I can find the right lines. 😛 It just isn't going to happen until after we're satisfied with the state of the main functionality. I miss the villain theme myself, and adding a Praetorian golden theme would be neat.

Into the Night "... and so we went into that dark night, for we knew our dawn would come again..."
~ The Meowcronomicon

Well guys, I downloaded the source and got it to compile and run. I have to say you folks have done a really nice job with this. I was able to go in and understand the code without any outside help.

My plans are to add some AI to the program to assist with slotting enhancements. You'll be able to tell the program that you want your build optimized for (say) S/L defense and it will give you enhancements in your build selected for that.

While I'm interested in this, I don't know if there's a general interest in such things. If there is, I could post updates on this thread or in a new thread, whichever would be best.

5 minutes ago, magicjtv said:

Well guys, I downloaded the source and got it to compile and run. I have to say you folks have done a really nice job with this. I was able to go in and understand the code without any outside help.

My plans are to add some AI to the program to assist with slotting enhancements. You'll be able to tell the program that you want your build optimized for (say) S/L defense and it will give you enhancements in your build selected for that.

While I'm interested in this, I don't know if there's a general interest in such things. If there is, I could post updates on this thread or in a new thread, whichever would be best.

Probably best in a new thread, but if you do get working AI then I think people will be interested in checking it out. It would be cool to feed it a list of priorities and have the AI optimize a build with those priorities in mind. Good luck

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

I think that sounds like an awesome idea.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Not sure if this is the right thread, but here it goes.

Was looking at the Hybrid effects on one of my toons. Seeing if I should go with Melee and the +Def, but when I turned it on Mids showed no change to me toons Def Stats. They are not capped. When I change it to the +Resistance option my Res Stats definitely change. 

Question being is Mids Reborn not reporting the effects correctly or are the buffs just the insignificant for Def vs. Res? 

Inquiring minds. 

Cheers,

Chris aka Questor

8 minutes ago, Questor said:

Was looking at the Hybrid effects on one of my toons. Seeing if I should go with Melee and the +Def, but when I turned it on Mids showed no change to me toons Def Stats. They are not capped. When I change it to the +Resistance option my Res Stats definitely change. 

Question being is Mids Reborn not reporting the effects correctly or are the buffs just the insignificant for Def vs. Res?

Melee Radial has a slider from 0 to 10 in the Info window.  It defaults to 0.  Change it to 1-10 and defense will show up.

9 hours ago, magicjtv said:

Oh I'd absolutely love to see this. I would like to warn you though that while it may seem simple on the surface, it is still the product of a number of different devs with different ideals and programming styles. You may run into some oddities in the process! Don't let that discourage you, just keep in mind that things may not always be what they seem.

• Like 1

~ The Meowcronomicon

On 3/20/2020 at 3:36 AM, Herotu said:

I can't launch this program, I get this window:

MissingMethodException

Method not found '!!0[] System.Array.Empty()'. 

...with an OK box. Upon clicking OK, I get this window:

I am receiving this same problem.  Though when I click Okay it pulls up a window if I want to check online for a solution or close the program.  Checking online doesn't do anything at all.

Any assistance in getting this working?

I do believe that is because you do not have the right version of  .Net Framework installed. It's why I cant use program.

MissingMethodException

edit:damn quote boxes not where I wanted them,cant figure out to move or remove .
Edited by SuperPlyx

On 3/29/2020 at 6:37 PM, Outrider_01 said:

So, got some random error and Mids won't run

Nullerror.png.63f6c8c1550afa0c23de28af3b5da57f.png

Windows version, and that the entire story

Well, its a long story short.  Kinda funny really.  Working on a funky build.  Left the room, took a dump, and monitor took a dump on me.  Only gone 5 minutes. 

Monitor flashing, turned off into "sleep mode" and monitor powered up like hitting a key repeatedly.  Went to sleep mode again, rinse repeat every 10 seconds.  Could not turn off from the task menu, so had to hold the power key on the tower (monitor turned off fine normally, picture kept flashing of desktop).  Same thing happens after computer reboots.  I was not happy, worried it as the vid card.  Luckly I had my old monitor, plug it in and no problem so it has to be the monitor.   Kinda pissed, didn't get a chance to save that funky build after spending almost 2 hours on it; probably not a great combo anyway.

But Mids doesn't work, anything else seems to run normally until I find it weeks later I bet. I get similar results for another build program (similar concept, entirely different theme) for an entirely different game, but that one just doesn't load at all.

Anyone got an idea to problem solve it?

What a curious problem.

I don't have the same error. Mine is this:

MissingMethodException

...with an OK box. Upon clicking OK, I get this window:

BUT here's a thing... Sometimes my screens go into standby mode, and the fans on my GPU turn to full. I can't do anything because I can't see the screens, BUT I know the computer is still fine because I can still talk to people on teamspeak or whatever. So I press windows key, right arrow, enter and I can do a normal shut down. I've reinstalled windows, so I "know" it's a hardware issue. Dunno what tho.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

This has literally none of the new content, like the Electric Affinity Powerset or Experimentation pool.

I downloaded the Windows (main) version from the intro post and the instructions for the weekly update show:

"Click __"Source code (zip)"__ under __"Assets"__ section of most recent Weekly
* Open downloaded file
* Extract contents of __"MRB-Updates-######"__ to Mids install folder, overwriting as prompted
  * _For a clean install, only extract the __"Data"__ and __"Images"__ folders_"

Mids install folder only has 1 thing in it... Mids Reborn.

Putting Images and Data in the same directory with Mids Reborn does nothing... updates nothing...

Does anyone have a way to get Mid's or Pine's with the actual latest information that doesn't require knowledge of complex depositories for downloading? - I'm not a computer programmer lol

10 minutes ago, DreamingLove said:

Does anyone have a way to get Mid's or Pine's with the actual latest information that doesn't require knowledge of complex depositories for downloading? - I'm not a computer programmer lol

There is a 2nd sticky post with an unofficial update to the Mids installed from this original post.

Pine is working on an official update, maybe, based on some info later in that thread.  Felis Noctu also has some more database updates in process to merge into that update when/if it happens.  Reading the last couple pages of that thread will fill you in.

If you have trouble installing that update, I have a post in that thread on how to do it manually.

4 hours ago, DreamingLove said:

This has literally none of the new content, like the Electric Affinity Powerset or Experimentation pool.

I downloaded the Windows (main) version from the intro post and the instructions for the weekly update show:

"Click __"Source code (zip)"__ under __"Assets"__ section of most recent Weekly
* Open downloaded file
* Extract contents of __"MRB-Updates-######"__ to Mids install folder, overwriting as prompted
  * _For a clean install, only extract the __"Data"__ and __"Images"__ folders_"

Mids install folder only has 1 thing in it... Mids Reborn.

Putting Images and Data in the same directory with Mids Reborn does nothing... updates nothing...

EDIT:

Actually it just occurred to me, what operating system are you on? The below is how it works on Windows (and Linux as well I believe), but I have zero idea how it would look on a Mac. I know Macs use app containers and secondary directories, so the setup may be different.

ORIGINAL:

Are you sure you're looking at the actual install folder, and not something like the shortcut folder? This is what a fresh installation of Mids typically looks like:

oXsMWic.png

Also, for the MOST recent version, you're going to want to download MRBU's Bleeding Edge instead. You can grab this link to make it easier, it's always up to date with the current repository: https://github.com/zethriller/MRB-Updates/archive/master.zip

The installation instructions are the same. Open that zip, then copy/drag the Data and Images folders into the Mids folder that looks like the above. It'll ask you if you want to overwrite things, which is a big "yes".

Edited by Felis Noctu

~ The Meowcronomicon

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before. Currently, as best I can determine, one can only open one Mids window directly from the program. I'm wanting to open a second window, such that the first window (and its current contents) remain available while the second window is open. I know it's possible, and doesn't crash the program, as I have many times had 3 or 4 builds open at the same time (downloaded from different forum links). Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a direct way within the program to do this. Perhaps I've overlooked it?

If some kind soul would point out what I haven't yet found, my enthusiastic thanks. If there isn't currently a way to do what I'm asking, I humbly suggest that such be built in. In every case, thanks for your attention!

Edited by tripthicket
Added the word 'do' in the next-to-last sentence.

Well, piffle. Windows 8.1 here (still), and your instruction worked immediately. Thank you, Caulderone!

I would like to continue my suggestion for a specific command, contained within the program itself, to open a new window without 'overwriting' the window already open--a second (or third, or fifth, etc.) window. But maybe that's an outdated way of doing things.