Could self flagging for pvp in any zone be a thing?

Without wanting to drag drama from another thread up, an interesting insight from a regular poster was offered in one that made me start pondering. If we as players have the right to ask others to leave us be in open pvp zones if we are just there to badge hunt, and can report them for harassment if they do not, then perhaps could the DEV team have it in their power to instead make open world pvp something we engage in via an option we toggle off and on?

I ponder this because from both camps Ive seen kind of the other side of the coin wants back on live and even now on HC, and that is the non pvper who wants to go into the zones to grab badges and run the mission content there, but go unbothered by pvpers, and pvpers who yearn for more open world pvp like the ability to bring a villain blue side and hunt down their nemesis. As it would all be opt in, opt out it would both expand pvp for those who want it, and remove the threat of it entirely for those who dont want it.

And since apparently all we need to do to opt out now is state it in zone once, and then are entitled to report attacks in the zone there after as harassment, which could lead to pvpers who dont think this banner of immunity should fly to getting into trouble.

So pvper and non pvper alike, what do you think, should one who asks to be left alone in an open pvp zone be fair game or is it fair game for them to report those who do attack them for harassment?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Maybe we could just move the PvE content like badges and plaques out of the PvP zones instead.

Edited by Frostbiter
  • Like 6

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

6 minutes ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

...is it fair game for them to report those who do attack them for harassment?

*Facepalm Reaction*

You're talking about reporting someone for attacking you in a PvP zone? Huh? PvP zones are for exactly that, PVP. I've had it go both ways where I've been attacked while hunting for badges and have attacked others. If you don't want to be bothered, just go into the zone at a different time? The PvP zones are almost always empty. As for open world opt-in style PvP, I really don't see that happening.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

You can. And I do. The other players do not have to abide. It is a PvP zone after all. 

On a side note. I only play on the Excelsior Server. At times the most populated server in the Homecoming group. I go to PvP zones on a regular basis for Temps and Bonuses. In the last year, only once have I had a problem with someone not respecting my wish to be left alone. My point is that, overwhelmingly the people playing this game are decent people who will respect your wish.

Usually you will get killed once before you can get your text out. That's just par for the course. You are playing in a Zone designated PvP.

I see no need for a "opt-in PvP zone." Nor do I see one being made. PvP in general is incredibly under used in CoH. There are too few PvP players playing CoH.

Edited by Arc-Mage
  • Like 4

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

1 hour ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

If we as players have the right to ask others to leave us be in open pvp zones if we are just there to badge hunt, and can report them for harassment if they do not, .....

Players have every right to ask.  That doesn't mean they're immune from attack and can report as far as I know.  As others have mentioned, just asking has usually been enough for badge hunters.  Another option is just transfer your badge hunter to Torchbearer.  While doing my badging there I encountered only one player in PVP zones while spending hours badging.  He/she also seemed to be a badge hunter and we left each other alone.  

Edited by Ignatz the Insane

Maybe a PVP server with actual changes to accommodate PVP would be nice assuming actual interest was there.  

Most of us simply do not care about PVP in this game. 

If I want PVP I usually just play Blood Bowl. 

Or a FPS (rarely these days - but I used to love the Delta force games).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Maybe a PVP server with actual changes to accommodate PVP would be nice assuming actual interest was there.  

<snip>

I am opposed to a dedicated PvP server. This would require a thin, all-volunteer  staff to maintain two separate code-bases.

As for venturing into PvP zones for badges, venture in at your own peril. This was an annoyance for me back on Legacy but here on Homecoming I have found the PvP zones to be vacant. If you are on the Unofficial PvP server might I suggest transferring to one of the other servers to grab your badges, then returning to your preferred server. Seeing as how transfers are free and all. Worried about losing your name? Create a placeholder character during your detour, then delete when you want to transfer back.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

1 minute ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I am opposed to a dedicated PvP server. This would require a thin, all-volunteer  staff to maintain two separate code-bases.

As for venturing into PvP zones for badges, venture in at your own peril. This was an annoyance for me back on Legacy but here on Homecoming I have found the PvP zones to be vacant. If you are on the Unofficial PvP server might I suggest transferring to one of the other servers to grab your badges, then returning to your preferred server. Seeing as how transfers are free and all. Worried about losing your name? Create a placeholder character during your detour, then delete when you want to transfer back.

maybe the PVPrs could support it?  

It would be kind of neat to have a flag for PvP option in the game. Not sure how much it would be used since CoH has never been a big PvP game. Unlike my first MMO Dark Age of Camelot which was designed for that kind of game play, CoH never really was.

However if you enter the PvP zones no one should ever be safe, that's the point. Since the PvP zones are mostly empty there really isn't that much danger and if they are not, well that could make your badge hunting more interesting.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

2 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Without wanting to drag drama from another thread up...

And since apparently all we need to do to opt out now is state it in zone once, and then are entitled to report attacks in the zone there after as harassment, which could lead to pvpers who dont think this banner of immunity should fly to getting into trouble.

So pvper and non pvper alike, what do you think, should one who asks to be left alone in an open pvp zone be fair game or is it fair game for them to report those who do attack them for harassment?

Congratulations. you did manage to drag the drama of the other thread into this one.

To answer your question though, one who enters a PvP zone should be fair game.

you are amply warned when you enter the zone, and are given plenty of time to rectify that situation, if rectification was desired.

The only time I would consider one player defeating another player harassment would be if the one player was continually, and solely hunting the other player after the other player expressed a desire to be left alone.

Also, I am not a fan of PvP. But, I know people that are.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

If we as players have the right to ask others to leave us be in open pvp zones if we are just there to badge hunt, and can report them for harassment if they do not, 

Has there ever been confirmed Word-of-Devs on this?

Frankly, if they have set that as a policy I consider it a mistake. One they of course have the right to make, but a mistake nonetheless.

On one hand, okay, I generally do not PvP, and when I do go into the PvP zones, I'm looking for a Shivan, or a Nuke, or a Badge.

But I've always considered myself "At Risk" in those forays, and I always considered it PROPER that I should be "At Risk" in those forays.

• Like 1

Re:  original topic, ability to self-flag in other zones.

I'd be fine with this, and consider it a good things, subject to a few conditions.

• A self-flagged PvP'er in a PvE zone should be completely immune to all effects from non-flagged people of the opposite faction. That is, if someone wants to fight you, they need for formally flag themselves first.  Not just attack you, or otherwise, you'd have flagged people TRYING to be hit by somoene else's fireball in order to have them become flagged so that they could fight them. 
  • A self-flagged PvP'er in combat with another self-flagged PvP'er should lose all buffs from anyone who is NOT flagged, and should become immune to any heals from somone who is not flagged. They want to provide backup, they need to flag themselves first.
  • A self-flagged PvP'er who is not in combat with another self-flagged PvP'er should retain all buffs and still be healable by non-PvP'ers.  Outside of combat with other PvP'ers, you should be just like any other PvE'er,
  • Like 3

My thoughts on this are too complex to really dive in to right now, but I think what I expressed in the weekly discussion on Redside Population and Incentives has some good food for thought on the subject of open world opt-in PvP:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/19655-weekly-discussion-53-how-to-increase-villain-population/page/7/?tab=comments#comment-222758

4 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

I don't really have a cup in this tea party, since I don't PvP or badge (although I probably will get around to it sooner or later) and I rarely pursue PvP zone temp powers.  

My response to your last question is that if someone feels they are being harassed, they certainly can report it.  It's up to the devs to decide if it's harassment or not.  If this were my ball game, I would not consider being attacked in a PvP zone to be harassment, even if I asked pretty please.  If there were words exchanged, or if there were nefarious intentions, maybe so, but that's for the devs to decide.  I personally would not set foot in a PvP zone unless I accepted that the rewards of farming that zone for badges or shivans or whatever come with increased risk of PvP conflict.

• Like 5

Who run Bartertown?

4 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

If we as players have the right to ask others to leave us be in open pvp zones if we are just there to badge hunt, and can report them for harassment if they do not,

... should never be able to report someone for *doing what a zone is designed for.* It wouldn't be acceptable to go into a BAF and threaten to report people because they attacked Siege when you asked them not to so you could RP talking to him, it shouldn't be acceptable to report people for attacking players in a clearly designated PVP zone (with nothing required for finishing the game in it.)

Regardless. No, I don't support flagging for PVP in open world zones, either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

• City Council

I'm not a GM or anything, but I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that this isn't how that rule is meant to be interpreted.

Ah, but wait - I am a GM! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

5 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

If we as players have the right to ask others to leave us be in open pvp zones if we are just there to badge hunt, and can report them for harassment if they do not, then perhaps could the DEV team have it in their power to instead make open world pvp something we engage in via an option we toggle off and on?

You certainly have the right to ask and it has been my experience that, if you ask politely, you will be left alone after the first kill.  But they also have the right to play the game as it is designed and in a PvP zone, everyone is fair game, whether they asked to be left alone politely or not.  Being killed in a PvP zone should never be the reason a GM disciplines a player.  And no, we don't need open zone PvP. 

• Like 2

*shrugs* 

The old devs put PvE content in PvP zones in order to provide the PvPers with extra targets.  Expecting them not to take advantage of a relatively easy kill when they find one is probably hoping for a little too much. Just accept that you're going to be in somebody's sights when you go in and deal with it. It's not that big of a deal.

• Like 3

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

24 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Oh wait.  this isn't a pvp idea thread, its a drama thread.  

My bad. 

This isn't a parachute it's a blanket!

• Thanks 2

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

1 hour ago, Coyotedancer said:

*shrugs* 

The old devs put PvE content in PvP zones in order to provide the PvPers with extra targets.  Expecting them not to take advantage of a relatively easy kill when they find one is probably hoping for a little too much. Just accept that you're going to be in somebody's sights when you go in and deal with it. It's not that big of a deal.

Or even give them a rude surprise.  Being a primarily PvE player doesn't mean clueless about PvP even if I never engage in it.  And yeah it's just a game, take your lump(s), leave the zone and come back another time ... or another server if need be.  It is a PvP zone.