new here decisions decisions

Deathsway

hey guys i played this game back int he day as im sure most of you did just found out about this server last night so here i am 🙂 having fun so far just cant decide what to stick with today i got this ice guy to lvl 11 is going all ice abalities any good or??? idk waht is good for later levels or what realy sucks. any suggestions to a returning noob (I forgot a ton of stuff from 12 years ago when i last played)

• Like 4

Welcome home!

I find Ice to be good, slows help everything go better.

You might have room to try more than one character though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Welcome Home!

You get a free Respec at 14, I believe🤔
,so try some stuff. I've taken all the ice powers on my brute and think they are good, I'm no Uber player tho...

Edited by Nerio72
added a welcome, oops

a) Welcome Home!

b) Everything is Good.  Pick an AT, pick some powersets, have fun DONT SECOND GUESS YOURSELF to death. 

You'll hear some people say that certain sets suck.  In my arrogant opinion, they're wrong.

They mean certain sets aren't the best possible things you can do, and from a powergaming perspective, that means they're "bad".

Also some players feel that being able to fight +4x8 maps solo is the only thing that matters. I respectfully disagree.  But again, that's a powergaming "not being the best means you suck" viewpoint.

Every set combination... I mean EVERY set combination... can be made to work right fine, for the VAST majority of content, if you care to use your powers stragetically, if you choose to slot certain IO's bonuses to patch weaknesses in that set.  And if you team, you can be made to work across ALL CONTENT no problem, because your team will bring whatever it is to the table that your character may need.  Extra buffs for you, extra debuffs to the enemies, control to lock down and prevent from being overwhelmed, a meat shield guard you, damage to rip down clouds of baddies before they overwhelm you. 

Go. Hunt. Kill Skuls.

• Like 4

Is it a blaster? If so I say stay away from Ice. I mean Ice on a blaster totally rocks but it will permanently spoil you. You get 3 fast activating blasts, an awesome and fast recharging Hold that OH BTW does excellent damage on its own and one of the(if not the) highest damage dealing nukes. Combined with the secondary that allows to you slow everything down while you punch and slash them down with your sword. Also not to mention making a patch of ice that they can not stop slipping on as the try (and fail) to run from the ice storm you conjured up. Yessiree stay far away from Ice is My advice.

JK

I love, love, love ice on a blaster. Have a blast (pun intended) with it.

• Like 1

Welcome Back!

Ice has pretty good powersets. Ice blast is great. I hear good things about ice melee and ice armor. 

Best thing about homecoming is you have 1000 character slots. So go crazy with making whatever combination you want. Homecoming has also made leveling and enhancing your characters much easier too. 

Have fun!

Welcome home.

The homecoming servers offer 5 shards, and each shard offers you 1000 character slots.  No, I didnt mistype and you didn't misread.  You can make 5000 characters.  Play a few for a few levels to see what floats your boat.  Shard transfers are free, you get 5 that will refill every 3 days, and renames are easy on your character select screen.

TL;DR  Go wild and have fun!

Ice/Cold Controller

Ice/Ice Blaster

Ice/Ice Melee

Ice/Cold Corruptor

Cold/Ice Defender

Ice/Ice Dominator

I think you'll be busy! Welcome back, explore your options and have fun with it 🙂

8 hours ago, Deathsway said:

hey guys i played this game back int he day as im sure most of you did just found out about this server last night so here i am 🙂 having fun so far just cant decide what to stick with today i got this ice guy to lvl 11 is going all ice abalities any good or??? idk waht is good for later levels or what realy sucks. any suggestions to a returning noob (I forgot a ton of stuff from 12 years ago when i last played)

There are a couple of ice themed power sets I've played.  Ice blast is a very controllish blasting set with several ranged holds.  There is rewarding content it excels at.  Ice as an armor set is also rich in self-support, with slows and two damage auras,  self-heals and all of the other things you want in an armor set.  It too is something you can have a lot of fun with.  All I can really qadd is.....

spacer.png

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Welcome home.

I duoed an Ice/Cold Corr up to Incarnate recently, and it was a fantastic ride! Good mix of damage, support and control.  My duo partner had a fire/fire Brute and appreciated the +Def, especially at pre-IO levels.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

On 8/1/2020 at 5:34 PM, Nerio72 said:

Welcome Home!

You get a free Respec at 14, I believe🤔

I'm pretty sure you get a free respec and free tailor coupon every 10 levels.

Although my main character has 9 of each and I've only done the cape mission so I'm not sure where I got the extra three.

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

10 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

I'm pretty sure you get a free respec and free tailor coupon every 10 levels.

Although my main character has 9 of each and I've only done the cape mission so I'm not sure where I got the extra three.

Every 10 levels is correct, and there are other badges (besides the level-related badges) that award respecs and tailor coupons. Based on some testing I did on beta with /badge_grant, I think there are a total of 11 respecs and 13 tailor sessions available from badges. I did not make note of which badges, exactly, but that info is probably in my logs.

1 hour ago, AboveTheChemist said:

Every 10 levels is correct, and there are other badges (besides the level-related badges) that award respecs and tailor coupons.

Derp.  I'm stupid.  I also did respec trials.  That's where I would have gotten the respecs.  Still not sure about the tailor coupons.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

9 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

Derp.  I'm stupid.  I also did respec trials.  That's where I would have gotten the respecs.  Still not sure about the tailor coupons.

Basically you can run missions for the tailers in Steel Canyon (L20), Independence Port (L30), and Founders Falls (L40) to open up new costume slots.

I don't remember how to acquire coupons at themoment.  I know the Fashion Designer badge gets you a discount on tailor sessions.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Check my signature for a guide to help since you're new. Don't fuss too much about what sort of character you're making since leveling is easy and so is gearing. You're going to be making dozens and dozens of alts to try all the things.

Ohai new friend, you bring teh donuts?

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

Welcome back, it's really good to be back!

Remember you have 1000 character slots, so you can make a lot of different characters and you have free costume changes until level 10, so take advantage of that.

A couple of things:

Download Mids, so you can view and plan out your character.

Download Vidiots maps.  It'll mark badges and other pieces of interest on your in-game maps.

Look through guides section.  A lot of helpful things there that will change your life!

Find your server's public base teleport so you have easy access to zone teleports.

Have fun!

On 8/1/2020 at 4:28 PM, Deathsway said:

I would just recommend you try it all. Alts have never been easier to level and manage. I’m coming up on level 50 number 40, and I know that puts me well behind many people I play with.

• Like 1