Comic Book Heroes with Super Jump?

drgantz

7 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

Yeah he's the noob who took 3 travel powers lol flight, leaping and suoerspeed.

That's awesome.

Well played.

• Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The Hulk has been known to travel by making great, several-miles-long leaps. Generally, any character with super-strength but lacking flight or speed uses that strength/is capable of using it to leap great distances. 

Toad also has super-leaping, as well as a whole host of C-listers. 

• Like 1

Lots similar to combat jumping

• Beast
  • Black Panther
  • Captain America
  • Spider-man

Super Jumping = more like jumping over a building. The premise is correct in that it is more rare than flight. (those who could fly might also be able to jump)

Edited by Troo
  • Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

42 minutes ago, Hexquisite said:

The Hulk has been known to travel by making great, several-miles-long leaps. Generally, any character with super-strength but lacking flight or speed uses that strength/is capable of using it to leap great distances. 

Toad also has super-leaping, as well as a whole host of C-listers. 

It's something that surprises me by the lack of it being a thing. Hulk SJs since inception. The Thing did it once and was kinda forced into it narrating a whole 'if the green guy can do so can I' but then never did it again. Major Force (antagonist of Captain Atom) couldn't fly like Captain Atom but moved around by jumping and doesn't have nearly the strength levels of the Thing. Spider-man could and did super leap plenty, but never as a travel form and it is more common to see him run around. It's actually kinda telling how we rarely see super strong characters doing incredible running feats. I know, I know, a heavy weightlifter doesn't have particularly extra running speed, but that's in RL. In comic books super strength far far far outstrips mass and muscles are what make someone fast.

In fact, comic book science rarely bothers to give an account on how someone with super strength does not bleed out in seconds when they get the slighest cut as their super strong heart super beats and blood just squirts. It's like, your biceps are super strong, but your heart is a regular human powered muscle 😄

I think it's just that everyone agrees super jumping is a terrible thing to do in practice. With the Hulk it's just hand waived, but THINK about it. You're super leaping, have zero control where you're going to land. Oh look, it's an old granny walking her dog. Welp, I have no control where I'm landing so she goes splat.

Cars, buildings or houses (USA houses with that fame of being built out of carboard), people, even obstacles. Leaping, no control where ever the heck you'll be landing dozens of kilometers away and weighting something close to a ton. I'm not sure if even most bridges would take to a terminal velocity one ton small surface (relatively) object falling on it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, drgantz said:

I've been trying to think of actual Superheroes who Super Jump.
The Hulk Super Jumps.    Spider Man's swinging is similar to SJ.  I can't think of any others.
Can any of  you think of any Super Jumpers?

Spiderman's webs are a device he uses, not a power. If he did not have the tech to make web cartridges, his travel power would be Super Jump.

Superman did not start flying until the first cartoon of Superman came out. This was the point when Superman flew for the very first time. Before that time, Superman's only means to travel was Super Jump.

• Like 2

• Retired Game Master

How has no one mentioned Batroc the Leaper!

Oh... Heroes... Right. Sacre bleu.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

The Support page is always accessible should you require assistance or need to check the status of an already submitted ticket.

Consider volunteering as a Community Helper or Game Master || Gerne können Sie auch auf Deutsch mit mir in Kontakt treten, sollte dies für Sie einfacher sein. || GM Aurarius#7840 on Discord.

The Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman were jumpers.

CloseMadHorsefly-max-1mb.gif  source.gif

Back in the old school, Wonder Woman was a jumper and had to rely on her invisible jet to fly from place to place.

tvu_RW.gif

Just as a result of his strength, Marvel's Hercules has been cited as being able to leap 100 feet in the air.

Hercules-Marvel-h1.jpg

Lots of anime characters have ridiculous leaping abilities.

TgdHo8GYi-5A27ALWdfS_hEEkx6dyEb8xBTQ5wje

The DC/Marvel Amalgam Comics version of Superman & Captain America, Super-Soldier, was a super jumper.

42-423865_super-soldier-by-jayc79-amalga

Grasshopper, a one-off power suit hero that was killed off pretty quickly was a jumper.

latest?cb=20191207045403

Luke Cage and pretty much any hero with super strength is going to be able to super jump,

but if they have other more efficient travel powers (like flying or web swinging) then they're more likely to use those.

marvel-comics-retro-luke-cage-hero-for-h

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Grasshopper, a one-off power suit hero that was killed off pretty quickly was a jumper.

latest?cb=20191207045403

Grasshopper was an example of super-jump being used by someone who didn't fully understand the full power of their means of leaping. Died in his first appearance, after leaping so high he broke out of Earth's gravity, through the atmosphere, and asphyxiated in space.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Astro City has a character named The Bouncing Beatnik

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I think The Creeper qualifies.

Solomon Grundy grows more and more Hulk-like, and has been a superleaper at times. He gets a pass though, as he gets a free respec every time he comes back from the dead.

I seem to remember the Shaggy Man did some jumping.

And, of course once you get to the 30th century, there's Bouncing Boy!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 10/7/2020 at 4:32 PM, Troo said:

Lots similar to combat jumping

• Beast
  • Black Panther
  • Captain America
  • Spider-man

Super Jumping = more like jumping over a building. The premise is correct in that it is more rare than flight. (those who could fly might also be able to jump)

Yeah, the Combat Jumping power came to mind, as well.

• Daredevil
  • Iron Fist (when Matt Murdock was unavailable, Iron Fist agreed to impersonate Daredevil and patrol the streets, leaping between rooftops)
  • Elektra (since I already brought up Daredevil, and she seemed to tool around with Daredevil for a bit, before Bullseye killed her)
  • Batman Beyond (the suit could fly, but also allowed jumping around)
  • TMNT (seems like a lot of ninjas on my list)
  • Luke Skywalker (aside from training with Yoda, I'm thinking when he was almost frozen in carbonite. I also tend to discount later Jedi users because CGI is too easy; practical effects or go home)
  • Cyborg (New Teen Titans; he'd often be using Superjump to bound between the tops of skyscrapers)
  • Machine Man had telescoping arms and legs, so he essentially took enormous steps, rather than jumping. However, the CoH devs stated that swinging was never implemented in CoH because "It looked weird," so I submit that the devs would have considered telescoping arms and legs to likewise "look wierd," therefore Superjump would have been the compromise in this case, from an rp-perspective.
  • Puck was pretty agile (from Alpha Flight), though he seemed to prefer doing cartwheels.
  • Jumpman (rocket boots to enable leaping)

My sense is there are more examples out there. The problem is that, from a narrative perspective, there's a need to keep the story moving, which probably leads writers to lean towards flight. So Superman initially had great strength that allowed for great leaps, but this changed to flight, later becoming superspeed (though I'm not a fan of the "Flash" force).

A particularly good example of lazy writing was the Legion of Super-Heroes, where any members that weren't able to fly would be assigned "flight rings."

32 minutes ago, Johnny said:

A particularly good example of lazy writing was the Legion of Super-Heroes, where any members that weren't able to fly would be assigned "flight rings."

Point of order: They all got the flight rings, which came in handy a few times when, say, kryptonite was involved. Nice to have a device that doesn't use endurance when you are bluelined or supressed.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

1 hour ago, DoctorDitko said:

Point of order: They all got the flight rings, which came in handy a few times when, say, kryptonite was involved. Nice to have a device that doesn't use endurance when you are bluelined or supressed.

I like the idea that it's considered "lazy writing" when we have entire communities telling people to not take a travel power because they can just go buy a jetpack if they want one.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

On 10/7/2020 at 4:11 PM, Solarverse said:

Superman did not start flying until the first cartoon of Superman came out.

And I'm pretty sure that was due to either ease of animation, or confusion to someone reviewing the animation in that the "super leap" was confused for flying and they just stuck with the idea since. I'd have to look it up to be sure, though.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.