Finding "the One"

Veloice

City of Heroes is a game that thrives on its amazing ability to feed people's altitis. As a chronic sufferer myself, it's not at all uncommon for me to finish a character's build, play them for a bit, and then start chasing that next concept. Also for me, it's become a game of wanting to find 'the one'.

That one single character that I'll never want to stop playing, both conceptually and in gameplay. (And roleplay!)

The one single character I'll rack up dozens of veteran levels on, running content just for the sheer fun of playing them.

Of course, in a game that feeds my need for alts, I don't think it'll ever happen for me. But I'm curious!

What is your 'one', if you have one? Your 'main'? Why do you love them so much? When did you figure out they were your core character?

• Like 1

It took a long time for me to even get a level 50 on homecoming because of my altitis. I have subsequently created an alt power level account that helps feed that addiction quickly. 

That said, I have a discovered a few favorites that I keep going back to even after unlocking incarnates and giving it a 500m purpled out build.

Not necessarily in order:
1. DP/MC blaster - this one honestly surprised me how fun it was. I’m all about damage so always went with fire or ice with a stronger secondary. However, no blaster has come even close to dethroning my DP/MC in terms of fun and playtime. It is in a league of its own for my blasters. This is the sole alt that holds the name “Saiko”. 
2. Dark Melee/Shield scrapper - this also surprised me because, for some unknown reason I never really had internet in dark or shield. But after reading some forums I gave it a go, and boy am I glad I did. The synergy between the archetype and primary/secondary powersets is second to none. By far my favorite melee character. 
3. Fire/Bio sentinel - the most surprising favorite of all because I had always had a “meh” attitude for sentinels because of their lower damage compared to blasters. However, really pushing the offensive capability of this particular combo created an extremely fun character that I play consistently. 

I have several others that I really enjoy and play a lot, but those were the three (out of ~80 alts) that came to the forefront of my mind. The most interesting thing is that I was surprised by how much I liked each of those combos because I was doubtful going in. 

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Like 3

I think we had a thread about character-monogamy versus polyroleplayery about half a year or a year ago.  Anyone remember where that's at?

Aanywhoodles:  I could never have a "one."   Just ain't in my biochemistry.  I have a Blueside main which is my namesake, but doesn't really get any play.  And I have my Redside main who hits all kinds of checkboxes for me . . . but I would never, NEVER want to be stuck playing just one of those forever.  

• Like 1

I don't really have a "one." I have temporary mains, I have characters that even if I don't play I still will identify with, I have SG-night characters...  Still, of them...

1. Therra Arcson / Paladina. First 50 way back when on live, elec/elec blaster. Then first Peacebringer. First 50 here, as an elec/elec sentinel. She's got a long backstory, alt-story, she's followed me into Aion, Neverwinter, Dragon Age I and II, Destiny, even ran a merc unit in Battletech. Probably the character that really started "immersing" me in RP.

2. Memphis Bill. First character back on live. Also ended up with a lot of history. Remade here, but there are pieces missing, so...

3. Cat Grey. A 'shade I didn't expect to get *as* attached to. Ended up co-running a SG with her, getting heavy RP in - now she's here and figuring out what to do with certain events not happening. (Yes, also the reason for "Greycat.")

4. Ishku. This was supposed to be a bit of a joke alt of another character who started getting a lot of backstory and a lot of connections here and really, surprisingly, grew.

Edited by Greycat
  • Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I havent found "the one".

When my girls hit 50 they get a special set build with lots of uberness and fanciness.  Then I play them for a couple weeks building incarnates.  Most of them get boring in this span and I admit to doorsitting sometimes to gather threads.  Right now I am working on my MA/wp scrappers incarnates and I haven't gotten bored with her yet.  Although I also havent even decided which powers to build on her...I am just racking up parts so when I do decide it'll be fast.

Is "the one" even out there?  I think of it like a husband...I had one, it didnt work, rather than find Mr. Right I will find Mr. Right Now, and right now it is MA/wp scrapper 😁

Edited by EmmySky
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

I have THREE "Ones"!

But that's it. The others are fun fun fun, but those three I return to again and again.

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

And because I can't help having this in mind with this topic...

026aee35d5c3ccd59daaf9360957042c.jpg

2ef3f2973e31a964cc0901d9440496f8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

My Fire/Elec blaster.

She's what I reminisced about as the most fun I've had with the game when CoH sunset. She's the first hero I made when I discovered HC, she's also the only character that I've made on all the shards and plan to play all the way to 50+. So far 3 shards done, two more to go. No other combination comes close in terms of fun, prowess, and playtime.

• Like 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

My MA/WP scrapper.  I just really like the MA animations, and the speed of the abilities (except for Eagle's Claw but I'll deal).  WP is just a nice, low maintenance set.  The whole thing just clicks, and when I try another character for a while, and go back to this one, I'm quickly reminded why I like this char so much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saikochoro said:

1. DP/MC blaster - this one honestly surprised me how fun it was. I’m all about damage so always went with fire or ice with a stronger secondary. However, no blaster has come even close to dethroning my DP/MC in terms of fun and playtime. It is in a league of its own for my blasters.

DP/MC is definitely the most fun character I've ever played.  It's just power after power of amazing, deeply satisfying animations and effects.  Kicking a mob so they fly down the corridor and then shooting them while they're still in the air is a hundred times more fun as a power combination than anything in the actual combo power sets.

All that said, my Fire/Ice blaster will always be my main, because flying around and blowing things up with fireballs is why I fell in love with the game in the first place.

• Like 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

First you have to define "the One"

Is "the One" Jet-Li?

Is "the One" from Babylon5? (if so, Which "the One" are you talking about?)

Is "the One" an emo Jedi that hates sand?

Is "the One" a cyber hacker that followed a white rabbit?

So many "the Ones" to choose from...

That might be the reason a lot of people have Alitis...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Twisted Toon said:

Is "the One" Jet-Li?

Definitely not, because Yulaw does not succeed in killing Gabe and is not himself killed, but instead is sent to the Stygian Penal Colony in the Hades Universe to serve out his life sentence, and thus neither of them become The One. Though Yulaw does swear he will be! I guess we'll never know!

10/10 film, perfect in every way, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

@Hissatsuman, you can mainly find me on Everlasting!

My main right now was unexpected for me. On live I loved my scrappers and played my Peacebringer like a scrapper too. However, my first 50 on TB is a Time/Fire defender and I am really enjoying running whatever I can with her. I have just started building her out with IO sets and hopefully she will be just as amazing to me when I finally finish.

• Like 1

"The One"?  See sig, below.

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

After a LOT of playing and designing and learning I think I have found "the one"

I will always love new alts, new powersets, and the old SS/Inv Brute.  But for me "the one" is a Dark/Dark Brute named Snarky.  Basically a ghost/spectre who can stealth or kill entire rooms as he pleases.  Very simple costume of none, tights colored black, with the simple ghost head, colored black.  (I love costume design, but this is how Snarky looks.  Just a dark ball of ghost wandering the City)

This is a very powerful build I enjoy soloing on.  I have a Dark/Dark Brute at 50 all tricked out with tons vet levels.  I re-rolled a new Dark/Dark Brute in October and am somewhat steadily completeing all Redside contacts (now at level 24) I look forward (December-January?) to 50-ing and Incarnating this toon as my main.

I love that City of Heroes lets you design from costume/powers/archetype/morality who your character is.  I am trying to write about thios character.  But I work, workout, videogame, and...yeah.  13 rough pages so far lol.  

But in City of Heroes I can run "the one" that I write about.  (Rogue btw)

See you in the City!  (if you are on Excelsior)

• Like 1

I'm a late comer in the game and haven't even tried out half of all the available flavours to make a choice. I suppose I'm in the same camp as @CrudeVileTerror. While I have been developing certain favourites in terms of AT(s) and Power sets, each one begins to take a life of its own; hence making them very hard to compare akin to apples and oranges. I enjoy Archery/Ninjitsu Sentinels for different reasons as Rad/En Blappers or tankermind crabs.

I also love certain animations regardless of their meta strength of Fire, Beam Rifle, Dual Pistols; while at the same time, I like the usefulness of Radiation, Dark and Ice. But if you ask me what I (the person I am in RL) would be if I could choose only one, then I'm afraid I can't make up my mind at this point... I'm not sure I'd want to be limited to just one when I can be so many. Or the powers/ combination of that I picture myself having are currently not offered by the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twisted Toon said:

Is "the One" an emo Jedi that hates sand?

To be fair, that's "The Chosen One," not just "The One."

• Like 1

Well my "Main of Mains" the one my numerous alts have been trying to displace since issue 3 is my Claws/SR I call Greta.  Her main competitors would be an Earth/Storm controller, an Electric/Fire blaster and as of yet undecided Empathy (defender) with a small horde following them all.

All currently on hiatus until I can replace a dead computer 🙁 while living vicariously thru the forums via phone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's gotta be my Katana/Electric brute. No question about it.

No wait! It's my psionic/nrg stalker. Definitely. Great fun.

No wait! Definitely my DP/SR Sentinel. I've done most of the content with her.

No wait! I love my Kinetic/Bio scrapper. He rocks!

No wait! ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I find my Thermal/Ice Defender is the character I keep pulling out when needed.  I certainly enjoy playing a lot of characters of mine, but the Defender is always the one I take whenever a team needs a workhorse.  Never underestimate support roles.

• Like 2

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

My fortunado is definitely the one I keep coming back to, partly because of the hours invested and partly because he's so fun. As a melee/ranged DPS control support stealth tank he has an answer to pretty much anything and can slot into any party. 

Want the stabs? He's got stabs. Want the mezz? Got that too. Hold the aggro? Aggro held. Big defence buffs? Got those for days.

Is he the best at everything? No.

Can he do enough of everything to get a passing grade? Absolutely.

• Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas