Weekly Discussion 82: Let's Vote! (Extended over the holidays)

GM ColdSpark

Weekly Discussion 82 - Topic Choice  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Vote on the topics you'd like discussed in our weekly chats

• T1 Immobilizes in control sets
    • Don't you just hate it when / love it when (with a focus on in game events not powers etc)
    • Top Powerset Lucky Dip! I'll choose one of the top powersets you previously identified that haven't been covered yet (Darkness Manipulation, Force Field, Assault Rifle, Dark Miasma, Dark Melee, Devices)
    • T9 Lucky Dip! I'll choose one of the remaining T9 areas for discussion: Blaster/Defender/Sentinel/Corruptor Ranged Damage OR Brute/Stalker/Scrapper/Tank Melee Damage OR Dominator Assault & Mastermind
    • Cooldown in Support & Control Powersets
    • Base-building - new items and QoL enhancements
    • Revamps of old TFs in detail
    • Kinetic Melee

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/03/21 at 08:00 AM

• Lead Game Master

Weekly discussion 82 Week 20th Dec 2020 till 2nd Jan 2021

Let's Vote for the next few weeks topics!

With the holidays nearly upon us, let's take a little break and get some topics voted on for the new year. Topics which are chosen will earn you a gold-title in game on a character of your choosing.

You can vote for more than one but it'd be appreciated if you voted either here or on Discord but not on both - thanks.

If you have any suggestions you'd like for the next set of votes, remember to DM me those directly.

Oh and of course - Seasons greetings and a pre-emptive Happy 2021 to you all from me!

Edited by GM ColdSpark
  • Thanks 2

GM ColdSpark

Lead Game Master

Ways to Contact Me: Here is the link to the Homecoming Discord  and I am GM ColdSpark

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Mostly old TFs I think.  Revamping some of the more questionable content would be a big lift to this game.  Might want to open this up as well to enemy maps like blue caves and Council tunnels, since now I'm thinking of Citadel TF.

Force Field, please please please.  Also look at Poison at the same time, I feel it's really weak at low levels.  As a MM secondary it's rather pitiful if you're actually trying to level with it.

Cool downs in general, esp. Tier 9.  "Your awesome power defuffs you" is not great.  Rage from the SS set could be looked at as well.  I see the role play aspects of what the powers are trying to do, just saying I don't like the debuff, I think it's bad mechanically.

• Like 3

I usually skip T1 Immobilizes in Control sets. They're great early in the game when you need attacks on your controller but once you get Epic Pools, IOs, Incarnates etc. I usually respec out of them. Would be curious what people would have in mind to make them competitive power choices through the whole game.

Revamp old TFs. Yes. Anytime I run Citadel and Numina it all reeks of I0 design a lil too much. By contrast the Penelope Yin TF is fast, fun and even if you're just running it for merits gets its story across pretty well. Citadel on the other hand I feel like I'm just cleaning a bunch of nondescript Council bases. Supposedly they're robot factories? ehhhhh

Kinetic Melee. I like the set but I feel it needs a look, especially with animation times. Feels like I'm Goku charging up for multiple episodes when I use some attacks.

Edited by Normal Thomas
Used "By contrast" to start a sentence twice in a row lol
  • Like 2

Global Handle: @Future Force Warrior

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

1 hour ago, Normal Thomas said:

Would be curious what people would have in mind to make them competitive power choices through the whole game.

I don't think it would take much.  Standardize animation times towards the lower end.  Speed up the DOT.  Either fewer heavier hits, or just faster.  If they did decent DPA why wouldn't you want them?  Immobilize is quite useful, but often not enough on its own to be worthwhile.  Add in decent damage and it's pure win.

1 hour ago, Normal Thomas said:

Kinetic Melee. I like the set but I feel it needs a look, especially with animation times.

Agreed.  The other thing that I suspect would really change the feel of the set in a positive direction would be some tweaks to the sounds.  The hit sounds are a little too high-pitched and sharp.  They really grate on me.  They also don't really seem to fit what I'm usually fighting.  Maybe if I was punching an empty tin box.

• Like 1

On the subject of T1s, perhaps Manipulation set T1 holds and pushes need more thought than Control T1s...

• Like 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

While I believe that certain TF revamps would be most appreciated, I have a personal vendetta against T1 Web Grenade in /Traps secondary that cannot be forgiven.

EDIT: to answer @Normal Thomas

I don't think a single-target Immobilize (requiring a ToHit check) can be made competitive in the game (early, middle or late), without introducing a very specific sort of Debuff %proc (-Res, -Def, -MaxHP) in a new IO set. Generally, I prefer mandatory powers to provide some utility without having to invest slots in them... the single target Immobilizes require heavy investment to get much use out of them. (I write this without considering a major inherent change to those powers, such as adding a -Range component to them.)

Of course, I'd prioritize the creation of a new Fear (Superior, or PVP) IO set over Immobilize, since Immobilize already has a Superior set.

Edited by tidge
  • Like 3

TF Revamps: yes please.  Would love the option to run these at any level from base to 50 with properly scaled mobs.  Or even have incarnate level mobs if possible.  Move the current ones to Ouro so they are not lost but a serious once over of all of them (not just the main TFs) would be nice.  My biggest question or WTF? would be: Why is Synapse run almost entirely in Steel Canyon???  Would it have been a big deal to have that one be more about Trolls in Sky??

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, tidge said:

I don't think a single-target Immobilize (requiring a ToHit check) can be made competitive in the game (early, middle or late), without introducing a very specific sort of Debuff %proc (-Res, -Def, -MaxHP) in a new IO set.

I would argue that all of the mez IO sets except Hold and Knockback could use some more diversity and some useful procs.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

Revamps of old TFs in detail

This. A few TFs could really use the Positron treatment, especially Citadel. Synapse, while long, still has a few memorable moments - such as the Babbage ambush and the Clockwork king's lair - but it takes a long time with many kill-all missions with the same enemies. Same with Citadel. Bulwark goes down about the same quickness as the rest of the Council bosses, and Vandal isn't a particularly dangerous enemy. Anything to add more memorable moments and battles would be awesome.

Another separate discussion could be about additional TFs. I think Back Alley Brawler is due for his own TF. It should tie up the loose ends after Eagle Eye's arc, a mid range level 15-25 TF.  BABs takes revenge on Deadlock and takes down the remaining Skulls leadership. Could also have the Trolls get involved.

• Like 7

"All thoughts of retreat are discarded as counterproductive, there is no other course of action but to press on. You've been caught in an unseen orbit, around a power you cannot possibly fathom."

Everlasting - Gradivus, Amarillo Starlight, Hullbreak, Hyperblink, Matchlight
Previously on Guardian, Triumph, Liberty, and Freedom

I cast a vote for revamp of TFs but I'd like for that discussion to include that SFs have a huge glaring hole at 30-35.  Redside could also use a lowbie (Posi-like) as well.  The 8-15 range goes by so fast that a lowbie SF doesn't seem as needed but I'll save that discussion for that thread.  My only point here is that a tf thread also include SFs and lack thereof.

• Like 2

No real need to talk about Kinetic Melee.  Can we get some (any) alternate animations?  T9 on Invulnerabilty.  Still?  Really?  t9 on most "ranged damage" sets.  PBAoEs....really?  hmmmm  revamping old TFs?  I think this team has the chops to do a great job there.  Better than the revamp of Posi, and I like the revamp of Posi.  Certainly this team can fix Synapse or Numina though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tidge said:

While I believe that certain TF revamps would be most appreciated, I have a personal vendetta against T1 Web Grenade in /Traps secondary that cannot be forgiven.

EDIT: to answer @Normal Thomas

I don't think a single-target Immobilize (requiring a ToHit check) can be made competitive in the game (early, middle or late), without introducing a very specific sort of Debuff %proc (-Res, -Def, -MaxHP) in a new IO set. Generally, I prefer mandatory powers to provide some utility without having to invest slots in them... the single target Immobilizes require heavy investment to get much use out of them. (I write this without considering a major inherent change to those powers, such as adding a -Range component to them.)

Of course, I'd prioritize the creation of a new Fear (Superior, or PVP) IO set over Immobilize, since Immobilize already has a Superior set.

Sorry, don't know where my brain was. T1 for both Manipulation and Support sets should be looked at.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

Revamp of old TFs would be great but I don't see how it's possible with the current Dev resources. If it happens then take a look at the shards TFs and Citadel for starters. The list goes on but these are at the top for me.

Again, I am praying that Devs implement my AE idea so there is more new stuff to do. 

11 hours ago, Hedgefund said:

I cast a vote for revamp of TFs but I'd like for that discussion to include that SFs have a huge glaring hole at 30-35.  Redside could also use a lowbie (Posi-like) as well.  The 8-15 range goes by so fast that a lowbie SF doesn't seem as needed but I'll save that discussion for that thread.  My only point here is that a tf thread also include SFs and lack thereof.

The 8-15 range goes by fast blueside.  Redside, once you get past DFB level, and good luck even getting one together without talking to the seagull and switching to rogue, there isn't much to do in that range.  There has been no new redside content for that level range since CoV launch; meanwhile, heroes have gotten the two Skulls arcs and the revamped Posi TFs, as well as the Hollows and all the old-skool content.

A 30-35 SF is sorely needed as well.  I don't expect the HC team to put more effort into redside than blue to make up for the OG devs hating villains, considering the player base leans heavily blue, but the Posi and Yin "revamps" are really all-new TFs, so if the bluesdie TFs are revamped (which I agree Synapse and Citadel sorely need, Manticore and Numina too but not as badly) then redside should get some new SFs as well.

11 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

Revamp of old TFs would be great but I don't see how it's possible with the current Dev resources. If it happens then take a look at the shards TFs and Citadel for starters. The list goes on but these are at the top for me.

Again, I am praying that Devs implement my AE idea so there is more new stuff to do. 

If that's the one sourcing tip style missions from AE (or even mini TFs!) then you know you have my vote already at least.

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

I'll get this out of the way even though it's only tangential to the revamping TFs idea. Gold side does NOT need any prior to the end of Neutropolis. Perhaps in the First Ward/Night Ward sections (end of NW would be ideal), but not earlier. Otherwise you'll simply level past the actual story content. 

I now return you to your scheduled programming.

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

I’d love a revamp for some of the older TFs as long as ‘revamp’ doesn’t just mean ‘shorten by 2/3s’.

If the tunnel missions in citidel weren’t on the other side of Talos that’d help, maybe Synapses missions being centered around faultline and not steel. But cutting stuff isn’t always the fix. Sister Psyche is a fun TF still.

I’d also like the option to get ‘Master of...’ badges for the TF commander TFs.

Could we maybe repurpose some of the story arcs into new TFs? The arc to get access to the midnight club would be fun, add in another mission or something. I’d like a late 30s Nemesis TF.

But also totally agree with that person who suggested doing incarnate versions of that pre-existing ones. Level 54, rebalanced with more powers, Clockwork King or Dr Vahz? Sign me up. Make the supervillain Super again.

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

12 minutes ago, Xiddo said:

I’d love a revamp for some of the older TFs as long as ‘revamp’ doesn’t just mean ‘shorten by 2/3s’.

If the tunnel missions in citidel weren’t on the other side of Talos that’d help, maybe Synapses missions being centered around faultline and not steel.

I've never liked that the Synapse TF (who is located in Skyway City) sends the team all over Steel Canyon, plus an excursion to Boomtown, and only ends in Skyway....plus a need to go back to Steel Canyon to talk to Positron. Citadel is worse, in that the doors can be in such odd places that it is sometimes faster to go to Dark Astoria first to get to the Talos Island doors. Citadel would be much smoother if there was a simple transition from IP bases to TI bases rather than hopping back-and-forth.

I can tolerate the revamped Positron "talk to Azuria", and I think my tolerance is probably due to the fact that the revamped arcs are so much shorter. The Penelope Yin arc is wonderful, as the TF literally just takes the team from place-to-place like an actual journey in the same zone where the contact is. Even the spiraling Numina is fine by me, since most TF can split up to tackle the Defeat X portions.

I definitely think that older content getting a revamp (TF/SF) to be available and challenging to higher end groups would be ideal.

Weekly TF/SF helps encourage players to engage in that older content, and anything that can improve that and encourage more and more players to see some more of the game's content and zones is ideal. There are so many wonderful areas that just never get visited or used. So many zones that feel hardly ever touched. People run the same content over and over and while it's fun content, there's so much more that could be explored.