What do you consider the worst power combos?

shadowrex

Having gotten one to level 50, Illusion/Forcefield for Controller is mind-numbingly boring combo to play. Forcefields is very much a 'buff once or twice through the entire mission, toggle on and forget about' set and Illusion has very few avenues of active contribution. Sure, spamming Spectral Wounds is an option and Phantom Army is good (especially if you can get it perma) but when the best power in the set is 'Click this then watch the game play itself until you have to hit the button again'... it's like being a Mastermind without actually having control over any of the pets. If either were paired with another, more active primary or secondary set it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but together they both reinforce the 'click once, then do basically nothing' passive nature of the other set.

Also, any melee secondary where the entirety of the mez protection is A) entirely contained within a single toggle and B) tied to the passive PBAoE taunt. Looking at you, Energy Aura. Especially considering /EA also has a baked-in stealth power. Having to deactivate my taunt aura to sneak around? Fine, that makes sense. Having to also remove all of my secondary's mez protection to do so? Seems pretty counterintuitive. Frankly, taunt auras being intrinsically tied to other powers and not their own separate toggle seems like a synergistic issue in-general.

Edited by El D
  • Like 1

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

26 minutes ago, Gobbledygook said:

Anything/Regen

Anything/regen ain’t too bad on a sentinel. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I've played an earth/ff controller. It was fine when I did it, with a team, and pre... various updates, plus sunset. Now, it's just .. slow.

Bots/FF - at least on live - nearly bored me off the entire AT since - especially after the "all buffs are AOE" was done to the set, it left absolutely nothing to do other than press two buttons every once in a while.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

49 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Bots/FF - at least on live - nearly bored me off the entire AT since - especially after the "all buffs are AOE" was done to the set, it left absolutely nothing to do other than press two buttons every once in a while.

Agreed. This was one of my first MMs and I stopped around lvl 32 because I had nothing to do during fights

1 hour ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Ain't too good either. 🤷‍♀️

Perhaps. But I guess that means it doesn't qualify as "worst combo." Having run a few Sent x/Regen chars, I didn't mind having 0 Stamina issues.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Anything with Dark Armor that is not Dark Melee   you NEED that end recovery power, The to hit debuffs and heal and all the rest round it out nicely.  But before a full 50 build and poss incarnate end help?  You NEED that end recovery power.

5 hours ago, shadowrex said:

what do you consider the worst combos of primary and secondary power sets?

Not necessarily from an effectiveness vantage point, but I just cannot get into thorny assault on dominators - there are no primaries that prevent you from constantly having to pop your spines back out every time you want to use one of those abilities...

• Like 1

Dominators, like, all of them. At the end of the day I feel like I've just transformed it into a Blaster with pocket controls and I just can't play 'em no matter how I mash up the power sets.

7 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

Dominators, like, all of them. At the end of the day I feel like I've just transformed it into a Blaster with pocket controls and I just can't play 'em no matter how I mash up the power sets.

I haven't made a dominator since live. Every time I think about one I usually end up going controller because I prefer buffs/debuffs and support as opposed to pure dps and control

11 hours ago, 0th Power said:

Any Mastermind 

I don’t like buffing people. Why would I want to buff NPC’s ?

Plenty of options for non-buffing MMs - Poison, Storm, Traps, Trick Arrow. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

1 hour ago, Uun said:

Plenty of options for non-buffing MMs - Poison, Storm, Traps, Trick Arrow. 

Dark on MM I have looked at.  It is the exact same Dark Miasma from Corruptors.  You do get a heal. Big AoE that is good for you and props up the pets.  I like it on my Corr because I am mostly strategically debuffing the enemies.  Rarely do I drop into team healer mode unless content got hard fast or I am propping up a random weak player because I am bored.

18 hours ago, El D said:

Also, any melee secondary where the entirety of the mez protection is A) entirely contained within a single toggle and B) tied to the passive PBAoE taunt. Looking at you, Energy Aura. Especially considering /EA also has a baked-in stealth power. Having to deactivate my taunt aura to sneak around? Fine, that makes sense. Having to also remove all of my secondary's mez protection to do so? Seems pretty counterintuitive. Frankly, taunt auras being intrinsically tied to other powers and not their own separate toggle seems like a synergistic issue in-general.

Energy Aura was originally a Villains-only powerset, so just be glad Cryptic didn't tie the taunt aura to the stealth power.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, El D said:

Are scrappers and brute prone to sneaking around? 

Besides, if you are sneaking, you shouldn't need mez protection. 😛

On 2/19/2023 at 4:51 AM, Gobbledygook said:

Anything/Regen

While it needs very different build and play styles to be successful, I believe with high confidence that regen brutes (but not other AT's) are defensively comparable to many mitigation sets, and even superior in specific situations.

While regen has not been directly buffed, the meta has been growing increasingly favorable to regen brutes for many years now:

• Addition of multiple high-powered defensive clickies
  • Addition of practical means of building for slow resist
  • Addition of practical means of building for damage resistance
  • Increasing prevalence of +def buffs, due to the softcap meta; my def is regularly over 100+ on a hardmode TF. Rather than even more def, I'd rather have healing.

The regen brute I am currently optimizing has superior survivability (calculated with the help of Bopper's survivability tool) compared to a reference 45% def to all, 90% res to all invuln Brute, against a +3 incarnate AV. And when something is tougher than invuln, that's when you know it's met the gold standard for durability.

I am still evaluating the build through actual play, but perhaps when I'm done, I'll post a guide for people like you.

Anyway, I still believe that regen's greatest tragedy was being originally given to scrappers, and not just because of how regeneration and healing scale based off HP.

When you think of regen, everyone thinks of Wolverine's regeneration. And when you think of Wolverine's regeneration, everyone thinks about rengenerating absolutely massive amounts of damage. And what AT is best known for absorbing massive amounts of damage?

Regen is a tanker set. I demand a port!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

So far, the worst combo I've had to deal with has been Martial Arts/Super Reflexes.  Both sets are okay on their own, but together they're a ludicrous endurance hog.

Which is odd, because they're clearly supposed to work together, with Practiced Brawler's "Bring It!" pose and no redraw on Martial Arts.

You can be a good man, the best man in the world...  But there will always be somebody who hates a good man.

3 hours ago, Zect said:

While it needs very different build and play styles to be successful, I believe with high confidence that regen brutes (but not other AT's) are defensively comparable to many mitigation sets, and even superior in specific situations.

I agree, it's good on brutes. My StJ/Regen brute has never had any significant survivability issues. She won't ever be one of those brutes that tanks better than a tank, but she absorbs plenty of punishment and stays upright for lots of SMASH.

1 hour ago, rolandgrey said:

So far, the worst combo I've had to deal with has been Martial Arts/Super Reflexes.  Both sets are okay on their own, but together they're a ludicrous endurance hog.

Strange, my MA/SR scrapper does just fine. Admittedly, with the Body Mastery ancillary pool and a half-decent IO build, but I also don't remember any major endurance problems while leveling on just SOs.

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)