White Knights / White Knighters / White Knighting - Good for the game or community?

Troo

It's a hard thing to police in a game filled with heroes.

Definition:

: one that comes to the rescue of another

..but in forum/game/social context:
"White knighting is when an individual joins an argument with the thinly veiled intention of making themselves look good or in hopes of courting favor."

Psychology Today: Are you a "white knight?"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-white-knight-syndrome/200905/white-knight-commonalities

Slang: White Knighting

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=white knighting

I've likely done it (hypocrisy disclaimer) but some are vastly more prolific than others.

Maybe someone has some tips on avoiding being one or examples of despicable white knightage.

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

To be fair, I think we see a lot more CLAIMS of 'white knighting' than the actual thing.

When some people are having difficulty defending their position in an argument, they often resort to attacking the other person and calling them a white knight is one type of attack.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

5 hours ago, Troo said:
"White knighting is when an individual joins an argument with the thinly veiled intention of making themselves look good or in hopes of courting favor."

If it's only for appearance's sake, wouldn't it be stucco knighting?

• Haha 4

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Why would you want to police it?  

If there coming in to "save" someone who just can't articulate there point and just manage to properly give you the information is there a problem there?  

White knighting is when an individual joins an argument with the thinly veiled intention of making themselves look good or in hopes of courting favor.  

Also must be nice to know why outher people join arguments. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, biostem said:

Is this the appropriate place to tip fedoras to the m'ladies?

Nope. There’s a port o potty beside the hamburger grill.  Tip fedoras there

Glad to be able to help.  Guess that makes me one if those white knights

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2023 at 12:34 PM, Troo said:

It's a hard thing to police in a game filled with heroes.

Definition:

: one that comes to the rescue of another

Psychology Today: Are you a "white knight?"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-white-knight-syndrome/200905/white-knight-commonalities

Slang: White Knighting

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=white knighting

I've likely done it (hypocrisy disclaimer) but some are vastly more prolific than others.

Maybe someone has some tips on avoiding being one or examples of despicable white knightage.

This has got to be a joke? This is a joke? 

This is a joke.

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

White Castle Knights > White Knights

No photo description available.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)