Allow us to skip TF Cutscenes

dragonhawk777

This was asked on Live. The devs said that while the cutscene is running, things are being adjusted (spawned in, removed, moved around, etc), so skipping the cutscene would break things. To make the cutscene skippable, they'd have to recode each one to make sure everything worked properly.

It's possible, but it likely would be more work than it seems like, and might be too much work to be worth doing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

Im old and my memory may be failing me, but i seem to remember this WAS possible live as long as all members had seen the cutscene before and all agreed to skip it. then again its been a long long time.

think that was just for itrials, which were coded much later. mother mayhem over and over as many times as we had to run BAF on live was just brutal.

4 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

Im old and my memory may be failing me, but i seem to remember this WAS possible live as long as all members had seen the cutscene before and all agreed to skip it. then again its been a long long time.

Sound more like GW1 TBH, I don't ever recall skippable cut scenes in CoH.

Issue 20.5
Automatic Cut Scene Skipping In Incarnate Trials

If all the characters in a League have successfully completed an Incarnate Trial, the introductory cut scene for the Trial is automatically skipped so you can dive straight into the game action. Interstitial cut scenes (those in the middle of a Trial) are not skipped.

I believe @Roderick is correct about the Legacy dev's comments regarding other cutscenes.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

17 hours ago, dragonhawk777 said:

The title says it all.  I would love to be able to skip these cut scenes, particularly after we have seen them already and just get on with the mission.  If there is any way to allow us to skip them please implement it.

Nope. Move along.

It is what it is. This can be kept in mind for future content with the caveat that it would be team/league dependent and all participants would have to be agreeing to skip it.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I agree, an option would be great.

As for the old dev comments about stuff happening behind the scenes...this seems like an excuse, or at very least a silly reason. Sure, in BAF, if you fly up really fast, right after the cutscene you can see mobs 'drop' in. So technically stuff IS happening. But..why? Why cant the map just be full on loading? Not like it even needs to be full, since only 40 kills are needed to advance the mission!

STF, the aoen cutscene, same thing. Why cant those mobs be already there on loading? The Recluse cutscene does not add a damn thing to the map.

• Like 1

In KR, I think the mission right before the one where you defeat Veles, the cut scene queues late and I routinely return from it to find myself half dead because the enemies were able to attack me while I was locked in the cut scene. 

This happened on about 10 toons (couldnt trigger the cut scene if I stopped before entering the hallway) so I finally just stopped doing that arc (Veles is a PITA anyway). 

It would be nice if someone could figure out a way to avoid the cut scenes, not just in TFs but in all missions.

• 4 months later

I heard about a team that skipped the long Aeon cutscene in the STF (2nd mission, 2nd cutscene) using an exploit (I guess it's an exploit) and it worked.  No spawn issues, no nothing so maybe this can be revisited to see if the same flag used in the BAF (as an example) can be used here?

Thanks,
Dave

9 hours ago, fitzsimmons said:

I heard about a team that skipped the long Aeon cutscene in the STF (2nd mission, 2nd cutscene) using an exploit (I guess it's an exploit) and it worked.  No spawn issues, no nothing so maybe this can be revisited to see if the same flag used in the BAF (as an example) can be used here?

Thanks,
Dave

I believe the STF was built much later than the older TFs. And the iTrials obviously much later. If it's not too much work for the current team, I don't see why skipping shouldn't be possible. Provided it's not too much work AND the ENTIRE team should have to agree to it.

On 11/21/2019 at 4:09 AM, Roderick said:

This was asked on Live. The devs said that while the cutscene is running, things are being adjusted (spawned in, removed, moved around, etc), so skipping the cutscene would break things. To make the cutscene skippable, they'd have to recode each one to make sure everything worked properly.

It's possible, but it likely would be more work than it seems like, and might be too much work to be worth doing.

Then why does the cutscene skip when all players have seen it?  Your point is invalid.

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

I like the cutscenes in COX.  They are usually quite short and often not only well-written but very amusing (even after seeing them a zillion times--I still smile every time I see the Frostfire cutscene, for example).  The only time they become annoying is when I am grinding a trial, but then, grinding a trial is itself annoying and really has nothing to do with the cutscenes themselves.

7 hours ago, Display Name said:

Then why does the cutscene skip when all players have seen it?  Your point is invalid.

Newer cutscenes were designed with skipping in mind. Old ones were not, and would need to be rewritten from scratch to support skipping.

My understanding is that, if you were to skip an old cutscene, anything that was supposed to spawn in as part of the cutscene (such as boss fights and mission objectives) would not exist if you skipped too soon, and bosses with long animations (Like Frostfire's speech) would be locked in those animations and and unable to respond to players attacking them until they finished. 

2 hours ago, Lex Talion said:

To this day I'm waiting for that Underling to become an Underling (read: minion or LT) again, so Frostfire actually CAN freeze him, which he used to do.

He is, but only if you're set to have Bosses spawn as Lieutenants while solo. And actually are solo, of course.