What else are you playing right now?

NNDeepdish

On 6/1/2020 at 3:56 PM, RikOz said:

I just bought Skyrim Special Edition off Steam, mainly just to have a single-player game available for when my internet goes whackadoodle.

Holy cow, after 10+ years of playing nothing but MMOs, I'm finding the controls absolutely infuriating. The Left-Right keys (A & D) strafe instead of turn, and trying to use the mouse to turn without right-clicking is driving me nuts. Attacking without targeting is also massively confusing for me. I had the same problem when I tried Elder Scrolls Online.

I feel like the only way I'll get used to it will be to completely step away from CoH for a week or so and focus completely on Skyrim, just to train myself to the different controls. Kind of the same way I decided to get back to playing guitar after focusing on the bass for the last 20 years - I had to leave my bass untouched for a few days and just play the guitar so that I could get used to the tiny neck and skinny strings again.

Skyrim is a nice side quest to the real game. 

Skyrim the Game Mod platform. 

Yep, Skyrim is kind of my go to for when I want a cozy off line game.

As to what's coming up very soon, I wonder if there won't be a temporary population drop starting Dec. 9th/10th when Cyberpunk hits.  I don't think I'm even nearly as excited for it as a lot of people, but I'm still definitely giving it a try.  Probably most hyped game of the year?

• 2 weeks later

I've backslid.  I'm now playing World of Warcraft again, and I blame Matt Mercer.  I recently started watching clips of Critical Role on youtube, the background music has a lot of WoW tunes in it, and I'm one of those suckers who can get pulled back into a game in spite of myself because I miss the ambient sounds and graphics.

Don't worry, though - I'm already getting bored.

Rebuilt my rig last week and can finally play No Man's Sky.  Tips from other players appreciated.  Might even be open to teaming when I feel experienced enough.  COH has the best community, so if some of them straddle time with NMS, those are the folks I want to team with.

I also snagged a fun little gem called Founder's Fortune.  I've had to pause it while learning NMS, and still playing CoH, but I've had some good times in Founder's Fortune.

Currently playing Immortals: Fenyx Rising on Nintendo Switch and it has it hooks deeply in me. While I do like Breath of the Wild for it's scope; some aspects of the game (Looking at you puzzles that require 6-axis controls) that I get turned off shortly after getting off The Great Plateau. Not so with Fenyx though. 

• 2 weeks later
On 12/14/2020 at 1:44 PM, TheOtherTed said:

I've backslid.  I'm now playing World of Warcraft again, and I blame Matt Mercer.  I recently started watching clips of Critical Role on youtube, the background music has a lot of WoW tunes in it, and I'm one of those suckers who can get pulled back into a game in spite of myself because I miss the ambient sounds and graphics.

Don't worry, though - I'm already getting bored.

I had to take a break from CoX midsummer. With the pandemic putting me completely out of work, I found myself with nothing to do all day except play the game, and with 94 alts I sort of bored myself to death doing the same things over and over on different characters. So I re-upped my WoW sub and finished out the BfA expansion. Bought the new Shadowlands expansion, and played it long enough to get two characters to max level. Then I found myself getting infuriated with the way-too-many things to grind up right out of the gate and not feeling like I was making any actual progress. So I canceled my auto-renewal this month. and used gold to pay for one more month purely to get this years Christmas stuff. Now I'm back to CoX, feeling refreshed and ready to punch bad guys again.

Edited by RikOz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later

Besides messing around with a bunch of retro games, (it's amazing how many NES/SNES/Genesis/etc games I never even knew about), and logging in for weekly and daily challenges in Fallout 76. one game I like to visit every now-and-again is a little indie one called "#killallzombies".  It plays like Smash TV or Total Carnage, except you generally stay on the same map/zone, (albeit one that dynamically changes as you're playing).  It's dirt-cheap and really fun if you just want to shut off your mind for a bit.

• 2 weeks later

I've retreated to Civilization5.  I'm resuming my four-year quest to beat Emperor level with either Indonesia or the Aztecs.  I'll let you know how that works out in another four years.

...seriously, though, I have no idea how people play and win on Deity level.  I'm surprised I don't have permanent bootmarks on my backside from the thrashing Emperor level has given me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later

I just fired up ESO for the first time in at least 4 or 5 years, man I do not remember a thing about this game.  I have 4 level 50s and I quit fairly soonafter the Champoin Point things was implemented (190CP, I think they are account-wide?) but I don't remember a damn thing.  I might stick with it and level a necormancer or warden though, why not?  

EDIT: nvm, I can't commit to un-learning what I remember and re-learning the whole game, it's just too different (I quit well before they removed veteran ranks, its been that long)

Edited by mcdoogss

• 3 weeks later
On 1/23/2021 at 8:25 AM, TheOtherTed said:

I've retreated to Civilization5.  I'm resuming my four-year quest to beat Emperor level with either Indonesia or the Aztecs.  I'll let you know how that works out in another four years.

...seriously, though, I have no idea how people play and win on Deity level.  I'm surprised I don't have permanent bootmarks on my backside from the thrashing Emperor level has given me.

I've put a lot of hours into Civ V over the years, and since the pandemic I've been playing with old friends while we Zoom.  It resparked my interest.  My current long-term solo goal is to win at Immortal for every civilization on random maps.  I'm working on it alphabetically by civ and have been stagnating on Carthage for weeks now.

Edited by Yomo Kimyata

Who run Bartertown?

On 1/23/2021 at 8:25 AM, TheOtherTed said:

I've come to accept that Deity cannot be beaten under normal circumstances. There are some obscure rules setting that let you win, but in the general case it's impossible.

23 hours ago, Kyksie said:

I've come to accept that Deity cannot be beaten under normal circumstances. There are some obscure rules setting that let you win, but in the general case it's impossible.

As I've gotten better at the game over the (literally) years, I realize that it is beatable, but it takes a bit of luck and a lot of micromanagement.  Even now on Immortal, it usually takes me a few tries to get a victory.  The key is preventing a runaway rival.  And for me, embracing war early and often really slows the AI down.

Who run Bartertown?