What else are you playing right now?

NNDeepdish

• 4 weeks later

I've been revisiting my youth, playing some Infocom interactive fiction games.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later

I reinstalled Quake, but the poor old program just doesn't want to play nice with modern graphics rendering and audio systems.  I can get the music to play if I run it through DosBOX, but then I lose out on many of the advantages which the various Windows-ports have.  Even then, -every- version I've tried to run resets my resolution when the game boots up, and throws my other windows in to complete disarray.  Having to reset all of my window placements each time I run the game puts a serious hamper on my enjoyment of it, so I've pretty much already shelved it again.

Unless anyone has any troubleshooting suggestions on how to overcome these issues?

3 hours ago, huang3721 said:

I want to take a walk down memory lane today.

When I'm waxing nostalgic I go here:

https://alt.org/nethack/

I've tried the mobile version, but I'm too clumsy with phone games for something with so many keyboard commands.  The web-terminal is perfect though.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

On 9/24/2021 at 1:47 PM, InvaderStych said:

Jesus that game. I tried it maybe 20 years ago now. (It was old back then too) Think I got tired of dying. It was really amazing how I could get involved with ASCII-based graphics.

Currently missing CoH time because of:

• Remnant from the Ashes
  • Titan Quest Anniversary Edition (was free on Steam, now I'm spending time on it)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Olly said:

Jesus that game. I tried it maybe 20 years ago now. (It was old back then too) Think I got tired of dying. It was really amazing how I could get involved with ASCII-based graphics.

1987, apparently.  I think I got introduced to it after '91 though.  I don't remember ever actually winning the game, once or twice decades ago maybe?  No way I have that sort of .... focus .... (or time) anymore, but it is fun to plink around for a bit until some sudden and catastrophic death. 🤣

NetHack's first version, 1.3d, was released in July 1987, descending directly from Jay Fenlason and Andries Brouwer's Hack. Subsequent early versions of NetHack, namely 1.4f, 2.2a and 2.3e were released through 1987 and 1988.

In 1989, the first release of NetHack's current incarnation, 3.0.0, was posted to Usenet. It featured a massive expansion over the previous versions.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later

Finally got around to playing SOMA.

I already knew it was good based on watching Let Us Play videos of it and doing research on the game.  I bought a copy just to try to show my support to the developers, but knew my old computer would never be able to run it.

Now that I've had this computer for about a year, I'm slowly working through my backlog of games that I never got around to.  SOMA was near the top of the pile.

Even got to find an audio recording that all of the streamers I had watched missed!  Was nice to see a little part of the game I had never been exposed to before.

On 9/9/2021 at 5:27 AM, BrycenBerge said:

I spend time most of the time playing The Legend of Zelda using SNES emulators from here. And after using SNES9x, I am addicted with this. Has anyone played games using snes emulators or any other emulators?

On 9/9/2021 at 7:16 AM, GraspingVileTerror said:

ZSNES all the way!

I’ve played games on Zsnes as well as GBA emulators. I haven’t in a while but I should get back into Chrono Trigger.

• Like 1

You pay to play, having fun is ok, kill Skuls or kill Crey, hunt at night or in the day, black or white or shades of gray, play it your way, we have no say.

Tried out New World, Amazon's attempt at an MMO.   Not liking so far; constantly moving from keyboard to mouse is difficult when you only have one fully functional hand. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

6 hours ago, Heraclea said:

Tried out New World, Amazon's attempt at an MMO.   Not liking so far; constantly moving from keyboard to mouse is difficult when you only have one fully functional hand. 

I heard from everyone that it’s broken. They found a way to hack it or something. I don’t like playing new MMOs because I like SOME of the kinks to be worked out before i join, but I REALLY didn’t like the crowd that seemed to be headed there. Looked like trouble from a mile away.

• Thumbs Up 1

You pay to play, having fun is ok, kill Skuls or kill Crey, hunt at night or in the day, black or white or shades of gray, play it your way, we have no say.

2 hours ago, Optimum_Man said:

I heard from everyone that it’s broken. They found a way to hack it or something. I don’t like playing new MMOs because I like SOME of the kinks to be worked out before i join, but I REALLY didn’t like the crowd that seemed to be headed there. Looked like trouble from a mile away.

I did it to see whether any of the nuisances of other MMOs have been fixed.  No, there's gear repair costs, gold sellers, A prominent official cash shop, low character limit, gear-related appearance so everybody knows you're a noob, gear scores, and an early Elder Scrolls type progression system where you can jump higher by jumping often to boost your jumping stat.  I suspect I will tire quickly. 

Edited by Heraclea
  • Like 1

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Given I don't have a lot of spare time to game at any given stretch, playing a lot of casual mobile games that I can pick up or drop more or less at whim, don't keep their paw out for IAPs, and which won't whinge at me if I don't poke them every couple of hours. (That combination is remarkably hard to find.)

Currently: the Stranger Things puzzle quest game. Yeah, basic gem matching stuff, but oh so pretty, with lovely renditions of every character (even the minor ones) and soundtracks that simultaneously match the show and take the mickey out of Bejeweled.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

On 10/30/2021 at 9:21 PM, Heraclea said:

I did it to see whether any of the nuisances of other MMOs have been fixed.  No, there's gear repair costs, gold sellers, A prominent official cash shop, low character limit, gear-related appearance so everybody knows you're a noob, gear scores, and an early Elder Scrolls type progression system where you can jump higher by jumping often to boost your jumping stat.  I suspect I will tire quickly. 

2021 and designers are still putting these things in games?

I'd rather just install Progress Quest and watch it run. 😛

http://progressquest.com/

Heraclea (Herakleia) cuts a different and interesting figure in that game.... hello pilgrim!  Have not yet given up on it, but by racking up gear repair costs I cannot pay, that moment is probably not far off...

herakleia.thumb.JPG.cff0dbb7727a433e6529467aecfe2fbd.JPG

• 2 weeks later

On 10/30/2021 at 11:21 PM, Heraclea said:
On 10/30/2021 at 9:08 PM, Optimum_Man said:

And crafting, a metric crap-tonne of crafting. requiring you to harvest, mine, chop, fish, pillage boxes scattered around, so that you can cook, weaponsmith, armoursmith, tanning, loom cloth, make potions, just to name a few...*

The whole 'faction' thing is a mess more often than not leading to one faction controlling the majority of the zones on the server. And in reality, it's not the factions but coalitions (guilds) controlling the cities.

At least the PvP is a toggle so you can 'pretty minecraft' in peace.

*An apparently on the test server that just went up, they increased the crafting XP x4 to get to skill level 200.

Edited by Oubliette_Red
  • Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.