What enemies do you find most difficult/what kills you the most?

Peacemoon

Depends on character (AT/powers), slotting, level, etc.  Bar none my always hate "screw those guys sideways with power tools" mobs are the new praetorian IDF/Warworks robots.  Tons of debuffs and resistance to a bunch of things, plus rezzer mobs and healers.  They just suck real bad.

Large spawns of Soldiers of Rularuu or Animus Arcana are most frustrating for most of my solo builds.  Somehow I feel that a significant fraction of the "I want the game to be harder" players aren't challenging themselves against these enemies at +4/x8.

The most annoying 'classical' content for me at higher levels are the Nemesis Snipers. Their great Perception and Toxic damage can mess with the flow of an otherwise smooth mission run. They also are in the category of 'I'm not moving, you're moving" mob, so you pretty much have to get to them.

Sappers are only annoying for toons that don't build for Defense. By the time they start appearing in missions many (post IO set) builds can have have this covered... or they can spam holds... or can spam nukes. My experience has been that while Sappers have the miraculous ability to spawn behind columns and around corners, there aren't that many of them which appear in any given Malta spawn, unlike the Gunslingers. I find the Gunslingers more annoying because they also tend to stay wherever they spawned and each will eventually hit you with their special ammo.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 12:54 AM, ArchVileTerror said:

Entirely depends on what I'm playing.
My Masterminds tend to fall to Scrapyard Demolitionists due to those damned fire bombs that create a Burn Patch under each of my Henchpets, but are otherwise nearly immortal.  I think Malta Titans also do something similar, as I've fallen to them a couple of times too.

My Scrappers tend to get floored by Circle Spectres, Tsoo Sorcerers, and other jerks with AoE To-Hit Debuff fields.

My Dark Melee/Energy Aura Brute and Ice Melee/Ice Armour Tanker never seem to fall down, but my Energy Melee/Fiery Aura Brute is a friggin' joke.

I remember those Scrapyard Demolistionists from when I played CoV on live with my MM. They were one of the first mobs to really cause me problems. 

• Like 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

On 5/22/2020 at 11:38 PM, Heraclea said:

If people still did corner pulls and LOS breaks that might help. 

When my controller runs with a couple of blaster buddies (on x8), I do corner pulls and break LoS.

Why the controller is doing the pulling, I don't know...

7 hours ago, FrauleinMental said:

Freakshow Super Stunners, who have so much End drain and you have to kill them twice.

Some characters can get away with only killing them once... they hit a PBAoE self-rez when they die, and the more targets near them, the higher their rezzed health. But if there is no one around them, they fail to rez.

On 5/22/2020 at 7:32 PM, Peacemoon said:

Just curious as to what others find lethal?

Personally for me it is Banished Pantheon ‘Sorrow’ Lieutenants and Bosses with their powerful debuffs.

Vanguard claw mobs, and melee mobs in general that do -def.
Tarantula Mistresses with Arachnos, something about them makes them lethal.   

At low levels the new and improved skull pistol and rifle users give me a headache if I’m not careful.. 

Trolls too can be tough.

Nemesis Lieutenants if you’re swarmed and kill loads by mistake. 
PPD at high level.. only fought them once but they were nasty.

Yup sorrow Lts & especially Bosses, I try my best to take them out soonest

• 1 month later
On 5/24/2020 at 6:16 AM, tidge said:

Large spawns of Soldiers of Rularuu or Animus Arcana are most frustrating for most of my solo builds.  Somehow I feel that a significant fraction of the "I want the game to be harder" players aren't challenging themselves against these enemies at +4/x8.

The most annoying 'classical' content for me at higher levels are the Nemesis Snipers. Their great Perception and Toxic damage can mess with the flow of an otherwise smooth mission run. They also are in the category of 'I'm not moving, you're moving" mob, so you pretty much have to get to them.

Sappers are only annoying for toons that don't build for Defense. By the time they start appearing in missions many (post IO set) builds can have have this covered... or they can spam holds... or can spam nukes. My experience has been that while Sappers have the miraculous ability to spawn behind columns and around corners, there aren't that many of them which appear in any given Malta spawn, unlike the Gunslingers. I find the Gunslingers more annoying because they also tend to stay wherever they spawned and each will eventually hit you with their special ammo.

Memory is always a tricky thing, but I'm pretty sure I remember from back on live that sappers were specially coded to only appear 1 max per group just because so many people were complaining about trying to deal with multiples of them per group.  Now that would be some craziness.

But yeah, I find their danger is overrated as they stand now.  Just need energy defense, range defense, controls, a resistance armor set with endurance drain protection (which is most I believe) or burst damage to kill the one per group max quick.   Most characters have one or more of those things.

On 5/24/2020 at 6:15 PM, Coyote said:

Some characters can get away with only killing them once... they hit a PBAoE self-rez when they die, and the more targets near them, the higher their rezzed health. But if there is no one around them, they fail to rez.

But knockback is useless!

... especially when melee goes chasing after the specific enemy I'm knocking away for a specific reason.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 5/23/2020 at 12:38 AM, Heraclea said:

The room that's likeliest to kill me by surprise, not able to react at all, is the Rikti/Hydra rooms on Apex.  Fairly sure the Hydra is to blame.  And dying there is a problem because of the damn useless maps; you get separated from the rest of the team and are not given a clue how to rejoin them.  One more reason to hate on Apex.  The blue patches don't so much kill me as get me lost and prevent me from playing by constant headless chicken mode. 

This is because of the fact that the tentacles have an invisible tremendous toxic damage over time aura. It is an anti-melee design, and unless you have tons of toxic damage, you should avoid them like the plague. 

Edited by Zeraphia

6 minutes ago, Zeraphia said:

This is because of the fact that the tentacles have an invisible tremendous toxic damage over time aura. It is an anti-melee design, and unless you have tons of toxic damage, you should avoid them like the plague. 

The whole Apex TF seems to be deliberately hostile to all melee characters, which is why I generally will not join it.  Tin Mage is a bit more tolerable, but it's usually run with Apex as a double header.

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

10 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

The whole Apex TF seems to be deliberately hostile to all melee characters, which is why I generally will not join it.  Tin Mage is a bit more tolerable, but it's usually run with Apex as a double header.

Fire Armor might be the best for a melee character in Apex, if they read their skills and prepare a little before the sewer/Hydra part. My Rad/Fire Brute puts Healing Flames on Auto at the beginning of the mission, doesn't take it off until we reach the KR Police Station. Every use gives +15% Toxic Resist, and it's easily stackable to 90% or so if used a lot before entering the sewers.

Rad Armor probably does pretty well against toxic damage, also.

What, me worry?

On 5/23/2020 at 5:57 AM, Fortuneteller said:

Dark Ring Mistresses. The silent killers, lots of people fear the Carnies for the Illusionists but it's the Mistresses that are the powerhouses of the faction.

This. They have evil, evil debuffs. Even on my Bio tank I've to watch for these or it's "Hey, where did all my defenses go??"

-Def, -Regen and -ToHit. And ranged Psi attacks. Urrgh. 

Calvin Scott tends to hand me my arse in the Marchand arc. Silver Mantis is a consistent pain. 

Some specific things:

1) The other day, running Stockwell arc, we nearly team-wiped in the undercover fight-club mish. I realize none of us were using our normal powers, and the mish was bumped a level or two, but I ended up taking cover behind a column a couple of times to regen my sliver of health enough to shoot back. We managed to get some disorient via the cross-punch attack, and got out with 3 of us left.

2) Every now and then, the shadow sims in pos1 can be brutal.

3) the mender 5th column arc that has the huge ambushes and 3 bosses. I’ve seen that one go bad more often than not.

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

The Emissary of Shadows continues to kill my characters more than any other boss in the game. I also hate Earth Thorn Casters because their quicksand last way, way longer than they do.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

On 5/23/2020 at 12:57 AM, Fortuneteller said:

Night Widows. A few of these girls doing their high damage ST attacks and spamming smoke nades all over the place can get a little sketchy sometimes.

Dark Ring Mistresses. The silent killers, lots of people fear the Carnies for the Illusionists but it's the Mistresses that are the powerhouses of the faction.

Rulululululu Eyes. Eyeballs with teeth? No thanks, hard pass.

Nobody ever expects the end drain from Carnies >: (

Vanguard. Not even a question in my mind. 

Vanguard is the only enemy group I've encountered so far that forces me to lower the difficulty to -1/x1. Even just three same-level minions can stack so much -res that suddenly that minion is now dealing 300+ damage with one attack.

Not to mention the absolutely sadistic programmer who decided that Vanguard Wizards should be able to cut your max endurance in half for a solid 5 minutes. No other enemy group in the game has caused me more grief or frustration than Vanguard. 

Edited by GastlyGibus

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

Anything that stacks -accuracy, especially at low levels.  Packs of Spectral Followers?  No thank you.  Somehow one time I ended up in a battle with 7 Tsoo Sorcerers (I must have aggroed at least two mobs).  That was one of my least pleasant CoX experiences.

Who run Bartertown?

For me, it's Arachnos. Not any one in particular, but the mob as a whole. The Mu drain end, one of those Spider insect types dishes out psionic, some dish out s/l, others dish out other damage types - basically, if you've got a weakness, they seem to find it. 

BP bug me too, but only at +4/8. I can hang at +3/8. But I've got to pay full attention at +4. 

• Like 1

I use confuse a lot as it's one of the best status effects in the game, but I am mindful of which enemies to confuse. It genuinely changes the dynamics of certain fights and a lot of the above-named enemies are on my "confuse them first" list.

Tsoo sorcerers. Ritki Guardians and Menders are all very good to confuse as you end up with some decent buffs and some decent healing.

Several Longbow Wardens summon pets and confuse is automatically passed onto pets - it's entertaining (and useful) watching phantom army or the singularity flip around and attack their summoner.

My only real foil are those Rularuu buggers. Half of them are basically mezz-resistant and debuff defence quite hard. And Nemesis, just generally. They've got enough mezz resistance to be annoying and the fart explosions when robots go down tends to catch me out.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas