Restore the Shadow Cysts!

Greycat

At least on a limited basis. Right now they're a joke.

I just finished the final Kheldian arc early this morning (or was it last night... I don't know, I couldn't see my watch, it was dark.)  In it, you're told Arakhn and Requiem - with their plan on taking over the Council from the Center in ruins - are desperate, and bringing something dangerous. What are those dangerous things?

Cysts.

These crystalline structures, which can maintain a Nictus without a host, which allow almost instantaneous travel across interstellar distance, are a threat, and are being positioned to begin a Nictus takeover. They're built up to be a major threat - appropriate for the final act in an epic storyline you've played from 1-50. And when you finally get there and face these?

Place attack on auto. Sit and wait. Nothing is summoned,  nothing happens unless you're too close (and even then, you - as a Kheldian - have energy/negative energy resists. You get knocked back a bit.) This is a major threat? My rent is more threatening than this. Yes, along the way you fight (in different missions) Nosferatu, Requiem and Arakhn, but the Cysts, for such a big buildup of what they are in lore are as threatening as pottery.

At least the ones in the ITF have Nictus around them, even if they don't spawn anything themselves. They at least *look* like they did their job.

Let the Cysts spawn Unbound Nictus again. (This also would have the side effect of giving a Warshade something to feed its Mire and Eclipse from.) At the very least, in that arc. Otherwise, they're pretty much nothing but a letdown.

• Like 11

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

The spawn rates of Q's seems to be alot higher recently....but yeah, I was kinda wondering why I never see those purple, crystalline death traps anymore...I actually kinda miss the surprise wipes they'd cause because no one noticed it till it was far...faaaaaar too late to do anything to save yourself.

Ahhh....meeeeeeemories...or maybe its trauma/ptsd...kinda hard to tell from that far back.

• Like 1

I kinda feel like the disappearance of Cysts probably had more to do with the low populations of the private servers prior to HC and how much of a death sentence they were if you caught 1 while solo. Even after the changes to make nicti damage resistible....when it spawns like 20 angry clouds that pelt you mercilessly the moment they appear, it's not really 'that' big of a mercy in the end vs a cyst. So the mandatory spawns don't 'do' anything now and random cysts in mobs were probably disabled...

I wonder if they can be added to the Notoriety options.

I never really cared about them being in missions and none of my friends ever harped about any any Khelds being on the team, beyond the obligatory "Khooties" comment that is. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

12 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Bring them back and make them worth 1 merit for defeat. Watch as khelds become the most welcome AT

That's honestly not really out of line, as I recall it they could practically unleash purple death.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Apparition said:

I am not disagreeing with this request, but don’t be surprised if Kheldians were suddenly made unwelcome on teams, just like live.

I hear ya there, man. Like, God forbid if anyone actually dies in a team mission, or even worse, if it's a team wipe. Heads would roll, lol.

3 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I wonder if they can be added to the Notoriety options.

If Null The Gull can allow fill in the blank to happen, then it ought to be a non-lying slice of cake to add higher order Kheldian triggered foes to spawn into the Notoriety Options.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

What are y'all smoking and can I have some?  😝

No, seriously, I like my easy, watch a movie while I play, game.....I am down with it being optional but I want anyone who picks that option to be surrounded with a blindingly purple light so I know not to join their team 😁

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2020 at 8:14 AM, Apparition said:

I am not disagreeing with this request, but don’t be surprised if Kheldians were suddenly made unwelcome on teams, just like live.

This.

Which is why I say HELL NO to the cysts making a come-back.

I remember a little too well being told flat-out that my PBs weren't welcomed on teams, back-in-the-day. It didn't stop happening until the random cysts were removed.

I'd really rather not see it start happening again. <_<

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I'm honestly surprised in a game so facerolly that having a way to break spawn limit in mobs is unwelcomed. Last I checked, void hunters, nictus, etc. all gave out loot and EXP when defeated like any other mob, and they spawn in addition to spawn mobs separate from their own.

That said, the only thing I really don't like about them is just that it felt like the live devs going out of their way to punish kheldian ATs for being 'tank mages' as a kneejerk reaction when Arachnos Soldiers rolled out far more powerful and with none of the drawbacks.* (there's no special 'longbow soldier slayer')

*Gag idea: Arachnos soldiers actually deal only half-damage to EBs, AVs, and GMs and take double damage from them. Narratively, it's because you're playing a faceless mook who exists solely to die in droves to anyone narratively significant.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

Other than that /jranger.

You'vve just /jrangered the person who first /jrangered. I'm not sure if I should feel proud of that or not. 😉

That said, I'm not sure people jumping to "nobody will invite khelds" (which... again, never experienced it on live, so...) are paying attention to which cysts I'm describing in the initial post.  Cysts are already "objects," essentially, and don't spawn any more than metal crates do. Which makes sense, they're not a character and don't do anything.

While I wouldn't mind them popping up again, I'm looking at reactivating a very specific set of cysts in one specific story arc - with reason. Which I would say isn't uncalled for - after all, we have specific unique enemies in other arcs, and the cysts are already *there.*

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

4 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

This.

Which is why I say HELL NO to the cysts making a come-back.

I remember a little too well being told flat-out that my PBs weren't welcomed on teams, back-in-the-day. It didn't stop happening until the random cysts were removed.

I'd really rather not see it start happening again. <_<

Theres your mistake Coy. You dont join as a Kheldian, you lead. And frankly never had any issue with the cysts back on live, I mean a perma light form PB is gonna solo pretty much anything you throw at them.

9 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Theres your mistake Coy. You dont join as a Kheldian, you lead. And frankly never had any issue with the cysts back on live, I mean a perma light form PB is gonna solo pretty much anything you throw at them.

Yeeeah… Do you honestly think that someone who was so worried about cysts that they wouldn't even team with a Kheldian would actually JOIN a team lead by one? Really?

Not a chance, buster. <_<

And it isn't really about rather or not you can smash the cysts. It's about the perception of them being death-traps and an added complication for the rest of the team.

• Thanks 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice