Captcha to Access Forum?

Forums were as slow as a standard mid-day for me, at 4 a.m. this morning, which was abnormal.  Nothing unusual in my latency in the game, so it wasn't on my end, or, for a change, Verizon being the king dick of the universe.  Then a DDoS prevention screen from the server came up when I refreshed one of my open forum tabs a few minutes ago, and several pop-up post peeks just say "there was a problem displaying this" or something when I hover over posts.

DDoS seems most likely, given that page that came up.  Questions are, who and why?

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I didn't get a Captcha page, but that screen popped up for me.

I was going to clear my browser's cookies and restart the browser to see if came up.

Thanks for taking the time to screen capture it and post!

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

I wouldn't call it suspicious, it's a standard cloudflare DDoS protection page. I got the page with no captcha, saw this thread then tried again with my VPN turned on. Got the captcha. That seems to be WAI.

The fuckiness to which I was referring was the DDoS activity, which was definitely occurring.

• Like 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I consider this a bug, and it is definitely a nuisance.  Needs to be turned off, however that is done. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Every once in a while I'll get a white screen saying that HC forums need to "verify my brower" or something like that and then occasionally asks me to also verify that I am a human and to do a multi-click captcha.

Are you guys (HC) under a DDOS attack?  Were you?  Or do you just hate me?

• Like 1

FWIW, I've got somewhat slow access, and we're seeing some slowness in general at work, so there may well be something else going on on the greater internet that's triggering whatever sort of traffic kicks the Cloudflare screen. I've had it come up several times, once with a captcha.

Not a bug, and the nuisance would be from whoever's screwing around jacking up traffic, so...

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 minutes ago, Greycat said:

FWIW, I've got somewhat slow access, and we're seeing some slowness in general at work, so there may well be something else going on on the greater internet that's triggering whatever sort of traffic kicks the Cloudflare screen. I've had it come up several times, once with a captcha.

Not a bug, and the nuisance would be from whoever's screwing around jacking up traffic, so...

All of Google went down this morning.

Of course, that just showcases why it's such a bad idea to rely on a few companies (Amazon, Google, Microsoft, etc.), for most of the Internet.

• Like 1

Not sure when it started, but last night (16 hours ago, perhaps), the HC forums were super sluggish. Every page took about 10s to load. Sometimes not everything would load. It likely was a DDOS attack. About 9 hours ago, the forums went down for emergency maintenance (roughly 30 minutes) and this new feature was added this morning. Personally, I love it compared to how the forums were last night. Ill happily trade 2s of a ddos protection screen as opposed to 10-15 seconds of waiting for every topic I click on (or page I change).

• Like 4

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

I've been getting the same browser checking page and occasionally I also get a 3 stage captcha (are you human? [], then click all the bicycles and click more bicycles. 

It's annoying.  If there's an active or suspected attack, then by all means we need to protect ourselves.  But if not or if it's long lasting, I hope we can have some other kind of credentials to avoid this verification stuff.  Otherwise, I'll have to severely curb my lurking and posting, which may be welcome news to some, but it's not something I would like to have to do.

Edited by Bionic_Flea

28 minutes ago, Sakai said:

Glad it is not just me.  

I thought it was my work network, catching me doing non-work stuff during work hours.  LOL! 😝

• Haha 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I will add, I have not seen a captcha screen. But I heard folks who use VPN have been seeing it. So my nuisance experience is probably much less than yours.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

Keep up, slowpokes.  😛

HEY! I resemble that remark! 

But I did briefly look for another post on the topic before starting a new one.  Sorry, I didn't see it.  If the powers that be want to merge, that's OK by me.

Also, here's what I posted in the other discussion:

"I've been getting the same browser checking page and occasionally I also get a 3 stage captcha (are you human? [], then click all the bicycles and click more bicycles. 

It's annoying.  If there's an active or suspected attack, then by all means we need to protect ourselves.  But if not or if it's long lasting, I hope we can have some other kind of credentials to avoid this verification stuff.  Otherwise, I'll have to severely curb my lurking and posting, which may be welcome news to some, but it's not something I would like to have to do."

Edited by Bionic_Flea