Create Power Creep!

Greycat

Because the oddest thoughts take up residence in my mind thanks to comments elsewhere...

Create a character named Power Creep. What AT/powersets? If a powerset doesn't quite exist, what would you want them to have?

Bonus points for a bio.

(And for anyone who *has* a character named Power Creep - not picking on you, I didn't check to see if one existed. 🙂 All just in fun.)

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

First inclination: Electric armor (for the "power" side) Stalker (for hide to help... well, Creep.)

Barry was already a bit of a peeping tom. And was getting known for it. People called him a creep as they passed him on the street.

One night, he just happened to be peeping in the wrong place at the wrong time, having cut through an industrial area and slipped, spilling some mysterious chemicals on himself - and then leaning a foot against that outdoors outlet to get a better view in his target's window. The outlet broke and his target wasn't the only one that got shocked that night. After that, though, he had new abilities. He had become... the Power Creep.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

Long long ago om my university's server, there was an indy game pr4ogrammed by students that was a "roguelike" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike).

I forget the game's name now, but it had a bug -- every once in a while, a character would get a bug where at each log-in, their armor class would increase by 1.  Once a character got it, it could never be fixed, so after a certain number of log-ins the value would roll over and the character would be permanently unplayable.  We called this bug "the Armor Creep" bug, because the armor crept up 1 each time.

Years later, while running my own tabletop Champions campaign, I made a villain named The Armor Creep.  He was heavily armored and desperately, inappropriately in love with one of the players, and stalked her everywhere, pining for her affections with bad rom-com tropes.

Edited by Sailboat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I keep coming back to this thread misremembering what it's asking and thinking you're asking us to create some power creep for the game itself, like some deranged game of "you call that a power creep?  That's not a power creep.  This is a power creep!"   So pardon me for derailing for just a second because the perfect thought struck me.

My suggestion for such would be a Hamidon Summoning power set for Masterminds.

• Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

What is confounding me is what Hero / Villain would take the name.  And for what reason.  More likely the name was thrust upon them.  You don;t just wake up one morning and go "My super name is Power Creep"  or "Taserface"  Probably some newspaper called them that and it stuck.  But that still brings up why.

I do love the rom-com idea.  Maybe have the character hopelessly in love with Flambeaux, or Ms Liberty.  Or a random female he meets on any particular day (careful RPing that one lol)  But that still does not address the issue of how he got his Nom de Guerre or, more hilariously, what he insists his super name is but no one uses.

His powesets, like in much of Marvel's and DCs soap Operas, take a back seat to the drama.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

What is confounding me is what Hero / Villain would take the name.  And for what reason.  More likely the name was thrust upon them.  You don;t just wake up one morning and go "My super name is Power Creep"  or "Taserface"  Probably some newspaper called them that and it stuck.  But that still brings up why.

It could be similar to how Captain Mar-Vell became Captain Marvel.

Someone asked him who he was, and he replied "Power, creep!"

So, he was forever more called Power Creep.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Twisted Toon said:

It could be similar to how Captain Mar-Vell became Captain Marvel.

Someone asked him who he was, and he replied "Power, creep!"

So, he was forever more called Power Creep.

Which is similar to why I've got a mind/emp named Rusty Muffler.

• 2 weeks later
On 1/4/2021 at 6:06 AM, Snarky said:

Sorry, but everytime I see "Taserface," I think of this scene.

(156) Rocket Makes Fun of TaserFace in front of Ravegers Funny Scene Credit to Guardians of the Galaxy Vo - YouTube

• Like 1

• 10 months later

Sorry (not sorry) to resurrect this thread, but I've decided to reroll my Power Creep.

I'm torn between making an overpowered FOTM character, or making a choice based on RP, or something else entirely.

But it's got to be creepy.  I'm open to suggestions!

Who run Bartertown?

What a beautiful topic. Can't believe I originally missed it.

So who is Power Creep.

Power Creep has existed since Issue 1, perhaps even before.  No one knows who rolled him or on what server he was. It is said that on Sunset(TM), Power Creep was backed up somewhere so he could continue on when the sun would once again rise on Homecoming. 

Because Power Creep knew.

Power Creep has no definite archetype. He uses all and none at once.

His Primary Power set is called "Evolution Opportunism", it comprises of various mysterious powers such as:

• Patch Note Absorption
  • Power Tweak Optimisation
  • Set Bonuses Augmentation
  • Power Prolification Focus
  • Tweak up

His Secondary Power set is called "Changeability", it comprises of various wonderful powers such as:

• Nerf Protection
  • Enhancement Diversification immunity
  • Pre-Nerf Instant Healing
  • Private Accolade Vendor
  • Skill Balance resistance

Just like Megaman used to defeat boss monsters to acquire new skills "Now I got your power!!", Power Creep defeats updates and acquired every bit of advantage that time and change brings to a game. Every single time a dev changes something to the game engine, Power Creep finds a way to utilize and optimize that change.

Power Creep does not have a level cap.  He just goes on and on and on.

• Haha 3

On 1/2/2021 at 2:14 PM, Greycat said:

Because the oddest thoughts take up residence in my mind thanks to comments elsewhere...

Create a character named Power Creep. What AT/powersets? If a powerset doesn't quite exist, what would you want them to have?

Bonus points for a bio.

(And for anyone who *has* a character named Power Creep - not picking on you, I didn't check to see if one existed. 🙂 All just in fun.)

Shield/Nrg Tank and I already have one. Stupidly overtuned and ridiculously powerful.

Edit: Oops. Didn't realize this wasn't a new thread.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba

Proliferation of the Power Pools

Here me out on this ....

• Select the first power of any power pool. That pool is now closed, but you can select powers in another pool
    • Only the second power is available in all pools
    • Take Hasten means no Super Speed
  • Select second pool power, that pool is now closed to you
    • This makes fitness an interesting choice
  • Select third power ....etc til you exhaust options

You .... creep through power pool options

Edited by JasperStone

/e poofgone

Power Creep

NRG/Dark Stalker

Power-Creep.thumb.jpg.4c07aa68b0947625623fc1c639ffeffb.jpg

Can often be found in night clubs when his distant cousin Lounge Lizard is elsewhere, though his overpowering cologne can usually be detected long before he's in sight.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 1/2/2021 at 1:14 PM, Greycat said:

Bonus points for a bio.

Power Creep is taken on torch, I tried to grab it a while back without luck.