Any reason at all to make a Praetorian?

Mithradates

It seems all you get is a different leveling experience up to 20, and access to Praetoria? Is there any other reason for making one? 

The few times I've tried, the starting zones are just dead. It's just solo play up to 20, which isn't that fun.  I've never made it past 10, so I was wondering if I'm right to just stick to hero or villain?

really detailed environments that are beautiful.  the last (and best) story arc system.  really freaking hard content.  endless petty politics.  no escape until 20...

I soloed it a few times on live.  The politics in the end ruined it for me.  Give me a kill all from some criminal mastermind any day over that holier than thou crapola

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Depends where you are too.  We have a dedicated Praetorian origin SG on Reunion so we get regular enough small teams, 3 to 4, a few times a week. And all the above. Great content, great zone design, And....(gets on soap box...) you can keep going after 20!  Just head into First Ward!  (...gets off soap box...)

And even if you leave, don't design a Praetorian with the intent to be a hero or a villain later. Just enjoy the arcs along the way, you can decide at the end what you want.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

You can do the arcs up to 20 then roll into 1st ward to continue then at 30 roll into Night Ward.

I did with my VG and our Praetoria villains hit 49 tonight.

Good story lines, interesting zones, and challenging enemies. If I didn't love the Rogue Isles so much I'd hang out over there more.

• Like 4

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

54 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

You can do the arcs up to 20 then roll into 1st ward to continue then at 30 roll into Night Ward.

I did with my VG and our Praetoria villains hit 49 tonight.

Good story lines, interesting zones, and challenging enemies. If I didn't love the Rogue Isles so much I'd hang out over there more.

If you want some more Praetorian based malarkey, check the last three AEs in my signature. In that order. With the caveat we don't have access to the choice mechanic or most of the maps we need, and I did a sneaky workaround for that in the second one. These three are all Loyalist ones by the way.  I'm working on a Resistance set. As for compensating for the choice?  I had to make do with more clues and more reading.

Edited by Darmian
  • Like 3

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Praetoria does seems to be for those that don't want to team with others.

If you want to solo and experience some different gameplay, that's the reason to go for it.

Like the evolution - Be a Hero>bored with being goody-two-shoes>Play a Villain>Villains aren't all bad>Let them switch sides>superheroes are boring>make content with political facing - you can escape that political facing content to head back into the comic book realm or stick to more political facing content (who's correct? The dictators that want to create a Utopia (for themselves?) or the Underground that wants to rise up against them in the name of freedom (for themselves?)?)

I didn't start playing City of Heroes to get involved in all that. I don't need the game to be more like life.

I play to be a hero (well 99% of the time) ... a superhero with super powers fighting against criminal and other types of villains.

I did try to play it in Beta and - I can't really remember - maybe when it first when live. I didn't like the content. It wasn't enjoyable to me. And that is not just because of the horrid fluorescent light sound effect - but that did add to my lack of enjoyment.

And that is really what it comes down to, do you enjoy playing the Praetorian content?

If you don't, then I would suggest finding content that you enjoy playing.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

7 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Or find a group looking to do the content.  Maybe the only thing holding others back is "there's no one else doing it" and you just need to get the ball rolling.

Praetoria isn't really well designed for groups.  Given the experience progression it's pretty clear that it was intended to be soloed for those who want the story.  If you attempt to do the missions at anything besides +0x1 you run the risk of outleveling the story arcs and being forced to skip ahead.  I missed Praetor Sinclair's arc on one of my Loyalist Power characters because I was rolling +0x2 with bosses and murdering everything.  I ended up hitting 15 during Tami Baker's arc and the game just pushed me ahead to the Neutropolis leg.  Sinclair wouldn't even speak to me.

And don't even try to use T4V XP boosts, you'll miss all the moral choices that way.

That said, you can still just run Message Man or Clockwork whatever's missions after level 5 if you don't care about the story, but at that point why bother playing Praetoria when you could be running DFB or door-sitting instead?

• Like 2

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Honestly, if you want a look at some of the things (like the choices, going "undercover," etc,) that were being added, it's worth one run through.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

If you enjoy knocking enemies off of roofs Neutropolis is the place to play. You don't even have to fly. Just take the stairs.

• Like 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

5 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

Praetoria isn't really well designed for groups.  Given the experience progression it's pretty clear that it was intended to be soloed for those who want the story.  If you attempt to do the missions at anything besides +0x1 you run the risk of outleveling the story arcs and being forced to skip ahead.  I missed Praetor Sinclair's arc on one of my Loyalist Power characters because I was rolling +0x2 with bosses and murdering everything.  I ended up hitting 15 during Tami Baker's arc and the game just pushed me ahead to the Neutropolis leg.  Sinclair wouldn't even speak to me.

And don't even try to use T4V XP boosts, you'll miss all the moral choices that way.

That said, you can still just run Message Man or Clockwork whatever's missions after level 5 if you don't care about the story, but at that point why bother playing Praetoria when you could be running DFB or door-sitting instead?

I get you.  At the same time folks run into the same issues teaming blueside.  If story and content matter to you (most of) the same things can done goldside. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

I get you.  At the same time folks run into the same issues teaming blueside.  If story and content matter to you (most of) the same things can done goldside. 

Yeah if folks are interested in teaming running story arcs is hard. You can easily outlevel your arcs no matter what side you are teaming on, except if you turn off xp. And even if you do, it doesn't really show the major parts of the story (clues, talking to the contact to advance the story etc) to the rest of the team. Goldside is best done solo, just like any content that is story focused.

• Like 2

Gold side has better content if you read the missions.  If you don't read and just look to complete missions and fight stuff, it's about the same.  A few unique missions, but you are likely to miss them if you don't try to find them.

And then there's Bobcat.  I hate her character so much.  Every mission she gives should give an alternate option to beat her senseless.  If they're going to force us to team up with someone like that, they need to include a "what's in it for me" scenario because her personal motives make me want to vomit.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

20 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

Yeah if folks are interested in teaming running story arcs is hard. You can easily outlevel your arcs no matter what side you are teaming on, except if you turn off xp. And even if you do, it doesn't really show the major parts of the story (clues, talking to the contact to advance the story etc) to the rest of the team. Goldside is best done solo, just like any content that is story focused.

Yep.  That's why I don't team for story arc missions.  I like to go through at my own pace, read everything, and be able to do it all if I so choose.  You can't do any of that if you team.

• Like 4

WOOO!

Just now, Six-Six said:

For the Emperor!

• Haha 1

Y'all are wild with your "I don't like politics," playing a superhero game.

Superheroes were invented to express political (specifically liberal) views. The genre is inherently political. Superman is a literal Jewish Golem created as a symbol against anti-Semitism in 1938 (read: the beginning of the Holocaust). The first published image of Captain America is of him punching Adolf Hitler in the face on the cover of Captain America #1 in 1941.

Edited by Draeth Darkstar
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

@Draeth Darkstar

Virtue and Freedom Survivor

10 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

Gold side has better content if you read the missions.  If you don't read and just look to complete missions and fight stuff, it's about the same.  A few unique missions, but you are likely to miss them if you don't try to find them.

And then there's Bobcat.  I hate her character so much.  Every mission she gives should give an alternate option to beat her senseless.  If they're going to force us to team up with someone like that, they need to include a "what's in it for me" scenario because her personal motives make me want to vomit.

I feel the same way about Blue side Manticore and thus I sympathize.