"Toxic" Community?.. My thoughts, feel free to add your own!

7 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

Almost all of these old quotations have been turned on their heads from the original, all to make those that would go against the grain seem to be the bad apples...

Or just quoted flat-out wrong.

"Music hath charms to sooth the savage beast."

"Money is the root of all evil."

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Just now, Ironblade said:

Or just quoted flat-out wrong.

"Music hath charms to sooth the savage beast."

"Money is the root of all evil."

Curiosity killed the cat ... but satisfaction brought it back.

One of my favorites.

It is a parable, IMO, on the topic at hand...

Crowds can become herds.

Herds are not known for thier out of the box thinking, nor are they know for accepting 'others'.

In almost no other game have I seen the herd mentality as strong as I have here in this one.

Just look at the Brute fire farmers.

I have no issue with eschewing the herd, but some humans live for the embrace of the herd and feel bad when it does not accept them, I get it.

My advice is simply to ignore the herd and use your energy to find players that enjoy the world the way you do and you will find your mojo.

Don't allow the outlooks of others to dictate your own, that is yours alone to control, because the herd just repeats and does what the last herd-member said and did, the telephone game never ends well, and the herd will just trample you.

'I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.' - Groucho Marx

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

'I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.' - Groucho Marx

Another classic:  "No one goes there any more.  It's too crowded." - Yogi Berra

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

1 hour ago, Ironblade said:

Exactly.  It's remarkable how many people do not know the full quote and use it as precisely the opposite of what it originally meant.

So many people simply say, "Jack of all trades and master of none."  This suggests that being a jack of all trades is a bad thing.

The original quote is "Jack of all trades and master of none.  But better than a master of one."  i.e.  Being a jack of all trades is BETTER than mastering a single trade.

Is there any actual evidence that is the original quote? I've only heard of it as being a recent addition.

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

10 minutes ago, CaptainLupis said:

Is there any actual evidence that is the original quote? I've only heard of it as being a recent addition.

Yeah, it's a very modern addition -- presumably made by someone who wasn't very good at anything in particular :-)

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

1 minute ago, Grouchybeast said:

Yeah, it's a very modern addition -- presumably made by someone who wasn't very good at anything in particular :-)

That amused me. But I was genuinely curious as I've seen a lot of sayings, and quotes, that most people get wrong because the common usage has corrupted over time.

5 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

Thanks, but that's not really what I was looking for when I said evidence. I was more meaning written evidence of it being used in literature, or in documents, that predate the more common understood version. Even that one you linked to first says it is a more recent addition. It's not really important though, it was more just a passing curiosity. Cheers.

19 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

I join all of my groups (including iTrials) from LFG, not custom chat channels.  A custom chat channel, by definition, is a self-selected subset of the larger population.  And I can imagine that it's theoretically possible for some subsets of any larger population to be a collection of people that are unsavory to me, or to whom I am unsavory.

I'm not familiar with the "Everlasting TFs" chat channel.  I didn't even know that it existed, and I've been playing pretty regularly since April of last year.  I never really needed a custom chat channel for TFs: regular/universal LFG usually works pretty well for me. 

SAME

• Like 1

Rather than making one joke and not contributing anything...

I have very little time to play. Life is simply too busy right now. So I try to jump on for a single mission each day or, when the stars align just right, an entire hour on Torchbearer. This weekend I had the ability to play a bit longer so I joined a PUG doing a mission arc in KR. I had a blast. The team expanded and shrunk as people joined and dropped. We were chatting the entire time and just had a blast, even with a team wipe. Debt is just another badge and we kept on going. Every PUG I have run with since the resurrection has been a lot like that. I realise there are toxic people and I am just thankful I have not run across them, even though I do read General chat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaptainLupis said:

Thanks, but that's not really what I was looking for when I said evidence. I was more meaning written evidence of it being used in literature, or in documents, that predate the more common understood version. Even that one you linked to first says it is a more recent addition. It's not really important though, it was more just a passing curiosity. Cheers.

If you follow the second link to Reddit, there is a discussion about when these terms appeared with some references.

According to those references, several of these sayings could have been added much later, as you supposed.

The etymology is always fascinating. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

The other two are what I call a "build Nazi" that belittles anyone for choosing any power that isn't the most optimal in world built around spamming AoEs, getting capped Defense, and maximizing global Recharge with IO builds. Those two are usually drowned out by everyone else though since most players are here to make their own character and not some cookie-cutter "totally the best at the stuff that matters" since nothing in this game is particularly hard to begin with.

I see those every once in a while.  Not just build but even to the point of powersets or entire AT's.  I kind of brace for it every time someone asks "how is <x> powerset", usually on help channel. 

Just recently someone was asking about how was willpower for scrappers and I said it was pretty good.  Someone proceeded to respond strangely somewhat aggressively "stop giving them terrible advice, WP is horrible on scrappers. "  I just responded, "worked great on mine" and left it at that. 

For a while there anytime someone asked about sentinels there would be people on help raging on how horrible they were.  That seems to have died down a bit at least.

22 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

This right here.

If what's happening in the chat box is not helping you have Fun, turn off the chat box.

Why is this so hard for so many people? <--- Serious question!

If there is a group of people that causes you stress in an MMO, ignore them and move on with life, those poeple are not worth the time and effort, IME.

Why on earth would people look for validation/acceptance from a bunch of random people on the Internet?

Screw 'em if they don't like you, go and enjoy your life, the small minded power-mongers that inhabit this community won't go away, but we don't have to give them air, either.

This right here. I have yet to use the new General Channel. I have absolutely no use for a channel that is just full of chit chat and has very little to do with the game. I was all in favor of that channel so that type of discussion could stop being posted on LFG chat. Now that all that ruckus is gone, I just can't bring myself to even have that channel up. When I make a new character, that is the first thing that I do is remove that channel from my chat box. Like you said, if you do not like the type of chat in a channel, leave that channel. It's really that simple.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

Curiosity killed the cat ... but satisfaction brought it back.

One of my favorites.

<snip>

Most folks are unaware of the second part.

Also one of my favourites.  🙂

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

11 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

I see those every once in a while.  Not just build but even to the point of powersets or entire AT's.  I kind of brace for it every time someone asks "how is <x> powerset", usually on help channel. 

Just recently someone was asking about how was willpower for scrappers and I said it was pretty good.  Someone proceeded to respond strangely somewhat aggressively "stop giving them terrible advice, WP is horrible on scrappers. "  I just responded, "worked great on mine" and left it at that. 

For a while there anytime someone asked about sentinels there would be people on help raging on how horrible they were.  That seems to have died down a bit at least.

WP worked just fine on my scrapper, as well.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Everything that had to be said has been said already, but I'll just chime in to reinforce something:

WHY ARE PEOPLE ARGUING BACK!?

It's not like we are going to change people's mind over the internet! Especially petty people who come prepared to argue and cause drama!

As a RPer I've had my hands full with people over the years. Either they dislike the RP, or they did not think it was done 'right', or they hated something about it, or if I was a friend of someone they hated then I was a bad person too. This does not include people who just say stupid things to cause reactions (then a wide eyed innocent injured dignity 'but it was just a joke :)'), people who mistake a joke for the real thing, people who acts very 2020 and take offense at jokes because not politically correct.

CoH is my most calm game ever. I believe I have something three or four on gignore and most I don't even remember why anymore. But in other games I never argue with people and just throw them wholesale into the bin. Heck, sometimes (even on Everlasting) I may be playing and someone whispers 'oof, I heard what X said. That was really rude' and I'm just 'wut? I have them on ignore so I'm not even aware that they exist'. And that is my advice as well. Someone is throwing ultra offensive 'jokes' on a general chat and basking in the angry retorts? Will that someone who is doing it stop because people are angrily demanding it? BUT THAT IS WHY THEY ARE DOING IT!

Someone has an hard-on about something that we had said or done in the past? They bring it up over and over trying to belittle, or shame, or whatever?

Ignore list, ignore list to them all. Don't argue back. They will not change their mind. Part are loving the attention, part is just bored and wants something to happen, part is just dumb and petty.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Solarverse said:
23 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

This right here.

If what's happening in the chat box is not helping you have Fun, turn off the chat box.

Why is this so hard for so many people? <--- Serious question!

If there is a group of people that causes you stress in an MMO, ignore them and move on with life, those poeple are not worth the time and effort, IME.

Why on earth would people look for validation/acceptance from a bunch of random people on the Internet?

Screw 'em if they don't like you, go and enjoy your life, the small minded power-mongers that inhabit this community won't go away, but we don't have to give them air, either.

This right here. I have yet to use the new General Channel. I have absolutely no use for a channel that is just full of chit chat and has very little to do with the game. I was all in favor of that channel so that type of discussion could stop being posted on LFG chat. Now that all that ruckus is gone, I just can't bring myself to even have that channel up. When I make a new character, that is the first thing that I do is remove that channel from my chat box. Like you said, if you do not like the type of chat in a channel, leave that channel. It's really that simple.

QFT

I never spent much time on high population servers, on Legacy or here in HC because with higher pops comes an increase in posterior head-adornments. On Everlasting, I play mainly with with my friends and rarely interact with the wildlife and avoid the global chats. There are tools and options to avoid toxicity in the game, folks should put them to use to improve their own gaming experience. 

The biggest one that comes to mind is, play on the other servers (yes, there are others besides Everlasting). With all the available slots, it's easy enough to whip up new characters or even duplicates of your favourites. In the process of playing/leveling you may find a community or groups of players that better suits your desired experience in the game. I'm fortunate that many of the people I played with on Legacy are playing on HC.

The only real control anyone has is their over their own actions. Report others, ignore, move on. If one continues in the same course of action, or inaction as the case may be, but expects a different outcome... that's just crazy.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

2 hours ago, Sovera said:

WHY ARE PEOPLE ARGUING BACK!?

Because Hope and Stubborn.

Many Hope they can turn a frown upside down or whatever.

Many more gamers just want to win the argument.

That's a whole lot of people that are just now possibly learning that there are, in fact, many people in the world that deserve nothing more than to be ignored, yet they Hope they can change that person, thinking they are helping.

The Human Condition.

Our brains re-enforce our choices with cognative dissonance to keep us sane.

We all think we 'know what is going on' and 'just how to fix it', when we don't know jack and are just letting our emotions override logic.

IMO, the one thing that separates the the two 'teams' in life for me, the ones I am going to root for vs. the ones I am going to ignore, are simply those that can admit they were wrong, or not.

IMO, if one cannot admit one is wrong and own it, then I don't want anything to do with that person, they cannot be trusted, because they will lie, cheat, steal, and murder to cover-up being wrong, they will follow the herd like lemmings off of a cliff, just to spite everyone, to avoid admitting they were wrong.

IME, the rest of it just follows along on top of that simple, yet profound realization.

22 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

WP is horrible on scrappers

Works just fine for my TW Scrapper. I'm going to bet this person thinks it's terrible because it might be harder to get capped Defense if you're using WP? I don't really know, honestly, as this is the first time I've heard of anyone saying WP was bad (excluding its use on Sentinels).

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

On 10/4/2020 at 7:16 PM, Shadeknight said:

If you wanted toxic, you need look no further than Virtue on Live. That place was the height of MMO community toxicity for me. Take myself as an example: I made the simple mistake of getting caught ERPing in the Arena when I was pretty new to the game - and the game was still all the hot rage. This group of friends saw this and took it into their own hands to harass and belittle me.

A small group of friends =/= the virtue server.

Having played extensively on both Everlasting and Virtue. There's nothing really separating them from a toxicity standpoint. Everlasting might feel less toxic, though, due to it being easier than live to surround yourself with like-minded people thanks to Discord and the regular events/raids/etc put on by Everlasting TFs and the various nightclubs.

Honestly, if Virtue was still around it'd probably be indistinguishable from Everlasting IMO. (Except I'd actually have the name "Xanatos" on it...:classic_sad:)

Edited by Xanatos
  • Like 1

City of Heroes Class of 2001.