The AT and power sets that you've particularly enjoyed

User

Which AT and power sets have you particularly enjoyed?

For me the two standouts are the Warshade built triform, and a dual blades/dark scrapper. I don't claim they're particularly powerful or even otherwise good, but I've just had a ton of fun playing them. What builds have you particularly enjoyed and why?

For me the Warshade is because of the flexibility of the playstyle, and raining AoE death with maxed 85% resists and capped S/L.

The Scrapper is more about the controller-lite with strong melee playstyle.

Edited by User

A few standouts in the myriad of alts that I played are:

DP/Ninja Blaster. One of my all-time faves. I (still) enjoy levelling them up that I now have a 3rd one.
Beam/Devices Blaster and Beam/Traps Corr. Just suspend your disbelief as to how or where he carries all of his gear.
Soldiers of Arachnos. Huntsman, Crab, Bane, and all manner of hybrids in between + the different patron powers. I have 8 different combinations 😃
Peacebringer. It has a particularly nice "crunch" to its attacks, even though the damage numbers don't reflect it. I'm not skilled enough to play tri-form, though so I stick with human form only. my second one will be 50 soon on a casual no xp boost grind.
Elec on a Blaster, Fender, Corruptor, and Dom.
Energy Blast on any AT. Because KB.
Savage and Martial Doms. shurikens and sharp nails. what else do you need.
DP/SR, Beam/SR Sentinel. SR on a sent can make you forget about how much damage you don't have or how much you're not contributing to the team. haha.
Masterminds. Bots/ Demons/ with /Dark, /Rad, /Elec. Currently enjoying the grind with a Beasts/Pain, although I have to be in a certain mood to play my MMs.

Not too much into melee, but a few honourable mentions are:
Energy/, Katana/, Kinetic/, Martial/, Street Justice/. I tend to prefer Brutes and Scrappers over Tanks and can't-see-my-costume Stalkers

Pure claws widow. I haven't fully mastered how to play a Fort, but the widow is fun.

And my first attempt at Trollers: Illusion/Dark is promising, but a little too strong for my taste--doesn't seem to offer much of a challenge.

There are other promising ones that I haven't listed because i haven't played them enough.

Sorry if people don't like this.
But Inv/SS.  Damn near unkillability.  And powerful feeling attacks.
I've played Fire/Rad Controller teams.  FLAMING, GLOWING ROOMBA OF COOKCOOKCOOK! DEATH!

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

When CoX went dark, the ATs I found myself missing the most were the Kheldians as the lore behind them had so much potential, yet their implementation felt squandered. I'm a big fan of Venom and Spawn so Kheldians felt a bit like that with a splash of the GLC thrown into the pit for seasoning.

Otherwise during the Live era, I got a deranged satisfaction tasting the salt from the tears of pvpers that tried to kill my pvp team in vain. I mained a pvp empath and I probably am a little messed up in the head from it, like a person who willingly becomes a goalie in hockey.

Now a days, for PVE I actually enjoy my random integer generator to give me an AT, and my primary/secondary/epic pools. I only get to choose the normal power pools and then I have fun making a competitive toon out of chaos.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like my MMs, pet heavy trollers/crabs, and the good ole melee classes. Dmg heavy tanks that are unkillable and broots that mow through mobs like nothing.

I have no favorites or a main I love playing them dependent upon circumstances.

I am starting to like certain dominator builds over my normal controller choices and when Symphony comes out it's going to be on a dom.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

I could probably cut my play list of 30-40 characters down to a Claws/ea Scrapper and a Fort. I might want to add in a support character, but that would be about it. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Well, since 90% of my toons these days are Tankers, I guess Tankers.

Some Tanks I've found really fun:

Ice/SS - Was not fun levelling, but at 50 remains one of my most played toons.

SR/Dark - The Tank I play when I want to ignore damage. Probably wouldn't bring it to a Hami raid, though.

Fire/MA - My #1 most played toon. Fire Armor and Martial Arts synergize really well with eachother, making for a very enjoyable gameplay experience. Falls to some mobs, unfortunately.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

It would be easier to list what I haven't liked, but, where's the fun in that?

On live, I settled on Controllers because I liked the idea that my survival was down to how well I meshed what I COULD do with what I could prevent the bads from doing, instead of being a one-trick pony that relied on a boatload of HP or damage output to steamroll.  I could go on all day about how amazing Gravity/Storm is at creating and taming chaos, or how funky Ice/TA is with its over-the-top slows and debuffs, or the crushing inevitability of Mind/Poison - they're confused, they're asleep, there goes their resistance, boom, they're dead - and I will never miss an opportunity to implore folks to try Fire/FF themselves to see how much fun you can have when you mix a metric shit-ton of fire with a similar amount of KD.  There are very few controller combos that I don't absolutely love.

That said, once I exhausted the controller combos I wanted to try out, I discovered Corruptors and holy crap, I haven't found a bad one yet.  My instant favorite was a Fire/TA (so many SCOURGE! messages appear on the horizon) but as much as I like that build, I am having an even better time with a Rad/Rad/Dark running Choking Cloud and Oppressive Gloom; it turns 4/8 into 4/1 just by farting radiation everywhere, and while everyone is standing around wondering whether to be stunned or held, might as well Soul Drain and treat them to steady diet of AoEs.  Easily the closest thing I've found to a scrapper/controller hybrid and just a lot of fun to work with.

Speaking of Scrappers, Spines/Bio is just loaded with answers but really doesn't need them because mobs just melt into a pile at its feet.  I like that.  And if I'm ever incapacitated, I run my 3-button Claws/WP, which I can keep up with.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

I've very much enjoyed savage melee on my tankers.  I've gotten bio armor and radiation into incarnates, and radiation armor seems a lot beefier.  I'm have a lot of fun with my dual pistols/radiation armor sentinel as well.  My kin/sonic defender is also quite fun to play.

1. Martial Assault.  It's fast, it has enough AoE to make me happy, I feel like I'm in Gotham when I'm playing.  Damage is anemic without a lot of work (had to use Assault, Assault Radial Embodiment (for the 10% +Damage, i don't click it because i don't like large swings in efficiency), Musculature Radial Epiphany, 23% +Damage from IO set bonuses and Ascendency of the Dominator Rchg/Chance for 14.2% +Dam), but it feels well worth the time invested to get there.
  2. Staff Melee.  I got two nice cones and an AoE (where it's at).  It's not fast, but it doesn't feel slow.  Even the T9 doesn't feel slow.  Love the animations.
  3. Willpower.  I'm lazy.  This is a lazy person's damage mitigation solution.  Match made in heaven.
  4. Dark Blast (defender).  Did I mention, I'm lazy?  Solid -ToHit debuffs applied while attacking, two birds, one stone.  Can make an entire chain out of two cones and the snipe, perfect for wiping entire spawns off of the map without moving an inch.
  5. Trick Arrows.  There isn't much you can't do with it.  I try other sets and always end up coming back to TA.

I don't play archetypes according to roles or expectations, so I can't put a finger on one and say it's my favorite.  If a set piques my interest, I play it, and if the archetype doesn't inherently support the way I want to play that set, I find a way to make it work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Ugh, I have so many that have turned out fun or amusing, it's hard to choose. I'm not usually a play at level 50 content kind of person, but when I do want to do that, of my 5ish 50's, I usually grab my Demons/Storm MM first. She's not even fully built out yet but brings pain, chaos, and destruction to her foes and it's just so much fun controlling the battlefield and keeping things flopping (I have all KB's converted to KD because I annoyed myself with the KB lol).

Other honorable mentions:

• For AT's, MM's are definitely one of my favorites, I probably have about 10-20 of them, lol. I've always been drawn to pet classes.
  • Support AT's are my other usual go-to's
  • AR/Kin Corr is surprisingly fun so far
  • Stj/Stone Brute is amusing
  • Fire/Rad Sent can pull some neat tricks out of its hat
  • I create characters for concept, so a lot of times, when a concept really sticks and starts fleshing out, it becomes more fun.
    • My Plant/Rad controller who dipped into the Experimentation power pool because she's a mad scientist. I'm so starved for power picks on her that I skipped the rez in Rad (and she's a villain, so it makes sense for the character as well), but she'll cheerfully cause her fallen comrades' bodies to explode and then thank them for donating their bodies to science (still trying to figure out how to make a macro/bind for that). 
    • My Pain/Beam defender who is a succubus who likes technology and thus her beam rifle is what she uses to channel her chi stealing/harming powers.
    • My DB/EA stalker who is sort of an homage to General Grievous from Star Wars

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

In no particular order:

Ice/Kin corruptor

Beast/Traps MM

Fire/Nature controller

Water/Martial blaster

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender

Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper | Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel

Recent ones that stick out in my mind was a Bots/Emp MM, because I get tired of having to go through the hassle of respawning dead pets, and my current just-hit-50 project, a Savage Melee/Shield stalker who has four TP powers: one gets him around with decent range, the other three do some damage, two of them good damage.  Neither of these are crazy min/maxed within an inch of their lives builds, no purples, but they are 100% my kinda fun, and not as gimpy as say a "normal man" build or something.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Picking just one, Controller Illusion Control/Darkness Affinity.

Standard Archetypes
Blaster Fire Blast/Atomic Manipulation
Brute Katana/Energy Aura
Controller Illusion Control/Darkness Affinity
Corruptor Fire Blast/Kinetics
Defender Empathy/Fire Blast
Dominator Darkness Control/Dark Assault
Mastermind 
Thugs/Time Manipulation
Scrapper Electrical Melee/Shield Defense
Sentinel Dual Pistols/Willpower
Stalker Broadsword/Shield Defense
Tanker Super Reflexes/Radiation Melee

Hero Epic Archetypes (HEAT)
Peacebringer Human Form
Warshade Triform

Villain Epic Archetypes (VEAT)
Arachnos Soldier Crabermind
Arachnos Widow Fortunata

Right now:

Dual Pistols/Martial Combat Blapper; just frantic fun, plus she rocks the mini-skirt.

Seismic/Seismic Blaster - I love the animations and love beating people up with rocks.  Stomp and stabby rocks appear is like a dream come true.

Water anything - Sploosh (Thanks Pam)

Back in the Day:

It was High Beam a Energy/Energy Blaster - Knockback was a blast before ragdoll effects became dumb looking.  You always remember your first.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Funny thing about threads like this, you rarely see multiple people post the same exact combo as their favorite.  Moreover, I have two accounts that are each ~4 pages deep on two servers, so that's like what, 150 or 160 characters?  And I almost never have what other people are evangelizing.  For a rock/paper/scissors emulator, this game is crazy diverse.  

• Thumbs Up 2

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

My top favorites -

1. Robot/Electric MM - Strong enough to solo, gives valuable support effects that not other people can. 

2. Demons/Time MM - Just overall around strong, only thing its really missing is -regen and +end tools.

3. Bio/EM Tanker - It just feels so good to be both near unkillable, and still waylay into those Elite Bosses for 700-800.

4. SoA - Crabber - A hover-blaster sort of build, focusing on DEF and Resists, not recharge. You can still use pets, but you feel like a flying tanker with 45% all def and 85% res, with ranged powers. And all those powers have built in debuffs like -DEF or -RES. I tried the recharge builds people often suggest, and it felt like it lacked oomph. But my version is absurdly durable, with ranged attacks, strong AoE and buffing capabilities. With pets!

Like many I'm sure, these change as whims and interests strike. But based on my recent play...

Savage/Rad Brute. A tiny package of go-go-go all the time. And Savage sfx are so wonderfully visceral.

Energy/Time Blaster. Because BEEF CANNON.

DP/Fire Sentinel. My current project. Nice little change of pace, having fun mixing it up in melee.

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

5 hours ago, roleki said:

Funny thing about threads like this, you rarely see multiple people post the same exact combo as their favorite.  Moreover, I have two accounts that are each ~4 pages deep on two servers, so that's like what, 150 or 160 characters?  And I almost never have what other people are evangelizing.  For a rock/paper/scissors emulator, this game is crazy diverse.  

Heh yeah. I have yet to see a single combo posted yet that matches a character I've played, let alone the ones I have truly enjoyed.

Rad/Bio brute (aka, my "super-brute") because even if I have no idea what's going on and I'm just standing there, as long as I'm standing near enemies, I'm technically helping 😛.   Also putting that chance for KD proc in one of the damage auras is just hilarious; all the bad guys just randomly trip over themselves once in a while.

Lately I've been having fun with a StJ/Stone stalker.  Street Justice is pretty awesome on a stalker because, between quick AS and the combo bonuses, you can use a bonus-boosted attack about half the time.  Also, getting to do 4-digit damage is pretty cool (AS from Hide with Build Up with the "Chance for Build Up" proc going off.  I haven't got up to that level on this stalker yet, but my stj/nrg can do it reliably).

Illusion/Dark controller is fun, but VERY clicky.  If I want to play it well, I have to practice for a bit first, but by GOD she hits hard!  Also, putting a KB -> KD IO into the Phantasm has helped soooo much.

My Rad/Elec defender has pulled off some thrillingly narrow escapes from death at the hands of various mobs.  Plus, Choking Cloud followed by total end drain is just wickedly delightful to me.

Edited by Shocktacular

Sometimes it's min/max that does it, and sometimes it's the concept that pushes things over the top.  So I suppose the key is finding both in one...

Here are some of my Personal Hall of Fame/Fun 

Blaster: Psi/Martial 

Original origin story.  Also, just an awesome combo.  Superior movement, stacking stuns, lots of damage, etc.  

Blaster: DP/Temporal and DP/Dark 

DP is flashy and satisfying.  The first is inspired by Judge Dredd, the other is just a min/maxed own original concept. Both are excellent.

Stalker: Energy/SD 

SD is a fun set that looks and plays great.  Energy/SD combo is wonderfully satisfying and effective combo.

Tank: Bio/SS/Dark

This tank has a special build and nothing smashes better that this combo (twin Tank +4/8 Duo MoITF in 31 mins, first and only try) .  Plus I enjoy Bio Armor a lot with at least 15 Bio Armor characters.

Scrapper: TW/Bio

It's TW/Bio, love it or hate it.  I lean towards the former.  Spin me right round baby like a record baby. 

• Like 1