How would you write notes for specific characters of yours in game?

DougGraves

Sometimes I need to respec, or get a certain badge, or have some other note I want for a particular character.  I'd rather do it in game than maintain a separate spreadsheet.

I could send myself an email in game but I'd have to remember it existed for that character.

So how would you write notes for a specific character?  I'm thinking of creating a macro called Note and then typing the notes as the details in the macro - so if I click the macro it will say the note.

I tend to focus on one character at a time, so if I need to get something done for them, I just go do it. Whether it's badges, finishing content, a zone, respeccing, etc. My normal method of play of late is to "finish" a character (get all relevant accolades, unlock all incarnate slots, get most of them filled with at least tier-1 to tier-3's, get their full build together including all ATOs, uniques, rares, etc, all TFs done) before moving on to another one. It also lets me narrow down what I might find as "unfun" in a character as they get higher up. I've restarted one of my concepts twice now, and I might be restarting it again, as it doesn't quite feel right as it gets up to 50.

Strictly speaking of in-game options:

You could set your LFG Message - it's the little textbox on the 'Team' tab of your chatbox when you currently don't have a team.

Set a new Supergroup Message of the Day... Or whatever that login message is called.

Create a new chat channel for your alts and assign a Message of the Day.

Use the character biography or battle-cry.

Create a macro.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, DougGraves said:

I thought of that, but I would have to check to see if there was a note.  If I create a macro, then when I see a macro in my powers I know I have a note to read.

At some point, *YOU* will have to check to see if there's something you need to do/get/work on - the game's not gonna do it for you.  If it's really that difficult for you to remember, then maybe set an alarm every day telling you to check your character bio, or maybe put a big sticky note on your keyboard or monitor telling you the same.  When you get right down to it, *YOU* are the only thing in common among all the tasks you do every day, and it is up to you to remember not to brush your teeth with the toilet brush, or not to wear your underwear on your head...

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

What’s wrong with a spreadsheet and an updateable punch-list memo?!? That’s what brings the sexy to CoX.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

All good ideas. Personally I just alt-tab and stick notes in an open Notepad file. Any time I'm waiting for a zoning screen I can quickly alt-tab and back to see if anything needs action.

The macro idea is interesting, but not sure how much text you can put in it. If I did something like that I'd likely leave an open tray in a corner, and maybe try setting up a macro or keybind that would create a 'blank' note-macro template in chat. Then for the note I'd just fill in the 3 letter keyword and the text, and the macro would pop into the note tray.

Edited by DoctorHugh
  • Thumbs Up 1

I use:

/playernote <my_character_name>

It was probably intended more for keeping notes on other players, but it works just as well to keep notes on your own characters, and the file it creates can be edited outside of the game. I have it keybound on each player for ease of use. Here's the wiki page for playernote, but be sure not to use playernotelocal as that works on a global level, not an individual character level like playernote does.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, biostem said:

At some point, *YOU* will have to check to see if there's something you need to do/get/work on - the game's not gonna do it for you.  If it's really that difficult for you to remember, then maybe set an alarm every day telling you to check your character bio, or maybe put a big sticky note on your keyboard or monitor telling you the same.  When you get right down to it, *YOU* are the only thing in common among all the tasks you do every day, and it is up to you to remember not to brush your teeth with the toilet brush, or not to wear your underwear on your head...

I hope whatever is making you feel like a jerk today passes and you can go back to being a nice person.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, AboveTheChemist said:

playernote

There is also the interesting part of this that allows you to rate characters. This will put stars over their heads.

I don't use it. I kind of tinkered with it on live, but that part of it might be useful to someone.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

52 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

I hope whatever is making you feel like a jerk today passes and you can go back to being a nice person.

I know people are hesitant about using the ignore feature, but it is there for a reason.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Writing it in the backstory would probably be the best. That would be great to stumble upon. Pick a random person, read their bio.

"Developing a time machine seemed like a good idea. It was fine at the start but each action altered the future bit by bit. Unnoticeable to you and everyone else, but me. Each small change compound into more changes, multiplying into bigger variations of what once was. The ripple effect seemingly going on until the end of time.

In my world there was no Arachnos. The Carnival of Shadows was known as the Carnival of FUN (Friends of the United Nations). In my world, Statesman is alive, and a part-time DJ known as DJ States. Lord Recluse is a rival DJ known as DJ Lore Rider. The Go Hunt, Kill Skuls guy actually did the hunting and killing himself."

-Respec - Double slot Hasten
-Respec - skip T1 secondary for CJ
-Logout Arena for badge
-Loaf of bread, container of milk and a stick of butter.

3 hours ago, DougGraves said:

I hope whatever is preventing you from taking some responsibility for yourself passes and you can go back to being an adult.

I suggested a while back having a "note" space for characters, honestly. Some of the notes I don't need publicly available (not stuff that would be publicly known, little quirks i just want to remind myself of nobody else needs to see, specific plot plans for that character, etc.) and while you can do that in the playernote section- that doesn't move between computers, and I *do* (older system, newer system, laptop.)

'til then? Yeah. Notepad or something on a NAS or something like google docs.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 12/29/2022 at 10:11 PM, DougGraves said:

Sometimes I need to respec, or get a certain badge, or have some other note I want for a particular character.  I'd rather do it in game than maintain a separate spreadsheet.

I could send myself an email in game but I'd have to remember it existed for that character.

So how would you write notes for a specific character?  I'm thinking of creating a macro called Note and then typing the notes as the details in the macro - so if I click the macro it will say the note.

My foolproof method:

1.) Make build in Mids

2.) Take literally any device that can get a screenshot.(I’ve used my iPad once)

3.) Take screenshot(s) as needed

4.) That’s it. That’s the process

Then delete after all is done 😁

Edited by Seed22
  • Haha 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Notes App on phone...now with bullet points!

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

On 12/30/2022 at 1:11 PM, Doomguide2005 said:

Could you see your own star(s)?

I don't know. I never tried rating myself.

No one sees the rating that you give a character other than you.