Focused Feedback: Electrical Affinity - Name

Jimmy

1 minute ago, Saikochoro said:

I liked the name Surge Protection proffered a couple pages back. 

Well, IMO, "Surge Protection" kind of implies that the set defends AGAINST electrical attacks/sources, not utilizing them to aid your comrades.  Maybe "Electric Potential" or "Shock and Awwwwwww  :-) ".

12 minutes ago, biostem said:

Well, IMO, "Surge Protection" kind of implies that the set defends AGAINST electrical attacks/sources, not utilizing them to aid your comrades.  Maybe "Electric Potential" or "Shock and Awwwwwww  🙂 ".

I’d be down for Shock and Awe. 

The new name is kinda meh. I thought the original name was more fresh and different than what we have in-game so far. 

The name I'd like to see: GALVANISM. It is defined as the therapeutic use of electric currents. That is pretty much what the whole set entails...yes? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like Galvanism. It's different from all the other Electric sets, so is easier to keep track of, but it's also simple. Power set names are usually as generic as they possibly can be, and I feel like a lot of suggestions are getting too specific or sound too much like individual powers. Galvanism is a really clean name.

5 hours ago, Super Atom said:

If the smile is included in the name, it has my vote

Let me just get on my Shock and Awwwwwww 🙂 defender right quick

Only if we ALSO rename Electric Blast Shock and AAAGGHHH! ☠️

Because you'd better believe I'd main a  Shock and AAAGGHHH! ☠️/ Shock and Awwwwwww 🙂 Defender in a heartbeat!

• Haha 1

I like the name Electric Affinity because it sounds like what it is. An Electric buff set, the sister set of Nature Affinity and Dark Affinity.

If it were to have any other name, then following the example of Kinetics, Force Field, Empathy, etc the word would probably be just a statement of what it is: "Electricity." But I don't think that works because of all the other Electricity sets in the game. 

Most of the suggestions I've seen in this thread sound to me like the names of powers and not power kits. 

• Like 1

I have a friend that teaches music is currently dealing with retirement of classic children songs like Eeny Meeny Mini Moe, Johnny on the wood Pile, and Do Your Ears Hang Low. These songs seem innocent enough, but their historical context is quite the opposite. 

The problem isn't the song, or the name of a power set. It's choosing to teach it, or use that name, in spite of knowing the history of it. 

Have we discussed options based on manipulation of the electrical circuits inside the body? We could look at names like Neural Empowerment. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

The name I'd like to see: GALVANISM. It is defined as the therapeutic use of electric currents. That is pretty much what the whole set entails...yes? 

I like this one. It's simple and, unlike some of the other suggestions, it doesn't sound like it should be one of the set's powers.

Edited by Ulysses Dare
grammer
  • Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 9:17 AM, Trickshooter said:

If a name change is still being considered, what about Static Induction?

So if those arguing back and forth about whether or not the name change was warranted or valid want to actually get back on topic, can we see a show of hands for anyone who feels like Trickshooter's suggestion of Static Induction is a happy medium of the "offensive" Shock Therapy and the "bland" Electrical Affinity?

*quotations used to indicate that I am referencing other people opinions of both names rather than indicating my  own opinions of either name.

2 minutes ago, garnetrising said:

So if those arguing back and forth about whether or not the name change was warranted or valid want to actually get back on topic, can we see a show of hands for anyone who feels like Trickshooter's suggestion of Static Induction is a happy medium of the "offensive" Shock Therapy and the "bland" Electrical Affinity?

*quotations used to indicate that I am referencing other people opinions of both names rather than indicating my  own opinions of either name.

He already had my vote. It might be worthwhile if someone can consolidate all the actual name suggestions in this thread to a single post (they'll get a +1 from me). It'd be nice to see what has been suggested without having to dig through all the vitriolic flame wars happening in this thread.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

21 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

I also like Amperage Affinity or Electroprojection as nifty options.

I like Electroprojection. It sounds like something you'd see in a comic book talking about what a hero or villain can do.

@Bopper On it.

I think I got them all. If I missed any, please let me know. Also, if there are any that you feel like we should eliminate as options, let me know that, too. I think I might try and whittle them down into similar grouping as well.

Suggested alternatives to either Shock Therapy or Electrical Affinity

• Electric Affinity
  • Electro-Therapy
  • Electrical Empowerment
  • Electrical Transformation
  • Electro Stimulation/Electrical Stimulation
  • Electric Bogaloo
  • Electric Support

• Static Cling

• Electrical Interference

• Electropower

• Static Induction

• Electric(al) Conduit/Conduction

• Electrical Regeneration

• Bioelecticity

• Bioelectric Circuit

• Electric(al) Interface

• Shocking Support

• Shocking Beneficence

• Surge Protection/Protector

• Amperage Affinity

• Electroprojection

• Impulse Mastery

• Induction

• Conductive Care

• Static Command

• Voltaic Authority

• Current Direction

• Electric Direction

• Hertz Less

• Ohmic Karma

• Galvanistic Vigor/Galvanic Vigor

• Electric(al) Surge

• Electrofinity

• Zaptastic Response

• Shocking Influence

• Galvanic Response

• Static Conduit

• Static Conduction

• Electrical Discharge

• Electric Conduction

• Static Electric(ity)

• Voltaic Radiation

• Electric Potential

• Galvanism

• Shock and Awwww/Shock and Awe/Shocking Awe

Some additional names I thought of while compiling:

• Static Shock
  • High Voltage
  • Voltaic Cell/Voltaic Circuit
Edited by garnetrising
Adding suggests alternatives
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Jimmy changed the title to Focused Feedback: Electrical Affinity - Name

I think the argument of "bland" or "Samey" kind of falls flat when you look at most primary/secondaries in the game

I think literally every controller primary ends with the word control and begins with a literal description of the powers theme.