Oldest player contest!

DoctorDitko

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

So, @DoctorDitko, when and where do I disperse prize moneys?

Well, the current frontrunners are using different timescales, so I'm a bit confused that's normal for me.

Frontrunners include:

mereman, at 67
Healix, at kid=56, so... probably older than 67?
IronJuke, at 69
Jacktar at 71 (if my math is correct)

Discarding Lunchmoney as an outlier, or else he's dead by now. RIP.

Honorable mention to EmmySky, who is younger but quite spry for her age!

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Haha 3

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Or 4 18-year-olds!

(waggles eyebrows)

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 9/14/2020 at 3:19 AM, Turric said:

There are quite a few people in my age range. I will be 46 in October. 1974 was a magnificent year.

Premiers of "The Six Million Dollar Man" (after 3 TV movies), "Little House On The Prairie", "Happy Days", "Barney Miller" (referenced in game), "The Rockford Files", "Good Times" (Dyn-o-MITE!), "Police Woman", "Shazam!", "Land of the Lost", and "Space Battleship Yamato".  Likely a few others, too.   Yeah, I'd say 1974 was a magnificent year if you were a kid.  Not so much if you were old enough that you were still in Vietnam...or your name was "Richard Milhous Nixon".

On 9/14/2020 at 11:26 PM, AsheTDust said:

So this where the entire population of Gen X has been hiding.

its not so much as get off my lawn, but instead gimme back my teased hair and flannel.

I'll settle for my red down vest jacket, double shirts, and first edition Air Jordans, thank you.   

On 9/15/2020 at 7:45 PM, Frostbiter said:

I'm shocked that Brits would overly complicate a system. What do you call the extra seasons?

"Series."  Brits don't use the term "season".  :classic_wink:

Edited by Techwright

8 hours ago, Techwright said:

Brits don't use the term "season".  :classic_wink:

Hi, I remember when my son first left the UK to live/work in Chicago and during his first call home he said “They only have two seasons in Chicago, Winter and Construction” 😀

And years before that, I worked with a bunch of great guys from USA in the middle east and spent many a happy afternoon in the office explaining that we had 12 pennies to the shilling and 20 shillings to the pound so 240 pennies to the pound.

But that we also had 16 ounces to the pound and 14 pounds to the stone and 112 pounds to the hundredweight and 20 hundredweight to the ton. So my weight then lol was 12 stone 7 pounds and 9 ounces. (Don’t ask about now! Eeek)

• Like 2

So our current winners are @Healixat "older than @Jacktar" which under the Milton Berle rules of "only pull out enough to win" will count as 72 unless otherwise stated and @Zeraphiaat barely 20.  If you two could PM me your global here on the HC forums, I will disperse your hard-earned inf for having existed for an arbitrarily long or short period of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Who run Bartertown?

14 hours ago, Jacktar said:

Hi, I remember when my son first left the UK to live/work in Chicago and during his first call home he said “They only have two seasons in Chicago, Winter and Construction” 😀

And years before that, I worked with a bunch of great guys from USA in the middle east and spent many a happy afternoon in the office explaining that we had 12 pennies to the shilling and 20 shillings to the pound so 240 pennies to the pound.

But that we also had 16 ounces to the pound and 14 pounds to the stone and 112 pounds to the hundredweight and 20 hundredweight to the ton. So my weight then lol was 12 stone 7 pounds and 9 ounces. (Don’t ask about now! Eeek)

I seem to recall hearing, quite some time back, that the UK's pre-metric monetary system went through some restructuring as well.  I was trying to find out equivalent values to American currency in the Victorian age (due to reading Sherlock Holmes stories, I think?) and the report said something about the names being the same, but the coinage worked entirely different in the 20th century at some point. 

"Stone" as a weight measure used to throw me, since I wasn't utilizing a visual reference and I'm used to thinking in multiples of 5, but then I saw the motivational weightloss film "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead".  When I saw Phil show his neighbors how much he lost by lining up bowling balls, I said "Aha! A visual for 'stone'", since I normally bowl with a 14# ball.  I also realized from the documentary that I need to lose several bowling balls.  :classic_unsure:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

So our current winners are @Healixat "older than @Jacktar" which under the Milton Berle rules of "only pull out enough to win" will count as 72 unless otherwise stated and @Zeraphiaat barely 20.  If you two could PM me your global here on the HC forums, I will disperse your hard-earned inf for having existed for an arbitrarily long or short period of time.

And, don't forget, an autographed, gold-pressed 1 million inf from me.

(yeah, I know. "If I were a rich man...")

So please copy me as well!

Also, can we get "Older than Jacktar" enshrined as a metric?

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Like 1

Wait a minute...

There would be one long staircase just going up,
And one even longer coming down,
And one more leading nowhere, just for show.

Does that remind anyone else of a certain game?

Hmm.

On 9/6/2020 at 10:46 AM, Ura Hero said:

It is a 600XL, a little smaller than a 400 and had a real keyboard.  I got one the first year they were introduced.  Closest mall to me was a 2 hour drive one way.  I lived in an area of Missouri that they talked about in Oh Brother Where Art Thou; "Geographical oddity.  Two weeks from anywhere."

Here is a pic of that original Star Trek game that was included in the FunLib Library for IBM Mainframes.  https://wiki.midrange.com/index.php/FUNLIB

There was also a package of ASCII art for IBM mainframes that you could get from 'a friend' that had stuff that ranged from cute cats to stuff you wouldn't let your mom see.

Star_Trek_text_game.png

I remember people playing this on the MECC CDC mainframe via teletype.

• Like 1

• Thanks 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

So, no messages? Did you get in touch with Yomo?

Nothing here.

BTW, all post-50s still have my guarantee of a team-up on Torch -- as long as it's not past my bedtime.

Edited by DoctorDitko
typography,,, sorry, misspent youth in the print racket

On 9/5/2020 at 7:11 AM, Luminara said:

I have another 20 or so months until I ding 50.  Really hoping I get the flashy graphical effects IRL.

In my TT gaming group, there are three of us who have birthdays about the same time and coincidentally 10 years apart. We had a VERY nice dinner when I (the oldest) hit 50. Tough call between that and the flashy effects + big skittles.

36 here.

Played since beta back in '04. The first sg I was in though back at launch had an fire/ice tanker that was played by a 74 year old grandmother, who wanted everyone in TS to call her grandma, as she joined with her 20 something grandson who was playing a fire/fire blaster. If she's still out there playing she'd be 90/91 now.

• Like 1