Character for Soloing Praetoria

Apparition

I keep turning back to dominator: good enough damage that soloing in the 20s and 30s isn't going to suck, good crowd control to make City of Ambushes and closely-packed enemies in the underground maps manageable. I'm finishing up the GR launch Praetoria stuff on an elec/elec dominator; the early going was generally okay as long as I remembered to rest (and didn't get ambushed while doing so), and then Static Field is the best power ever for a soloer.

One of the last characters I made in the before times was a sonic/sonic defender to run through Praetoria. Never got around to playing her, and don't think I mind.

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

My Savage/Dark Brute managed well soloing through main Praetoria, the ex-Shredder is siting at 20 in First Ward at the moment.

One thing you have to remember it to NOT get the 2XP bonus from the P2W vendor if you want to enjoy the faction arcs. This run was strictly Loyalists Powers division and I found that sometimes I didn't have to turn off XP very often to avoid out-leveling a contact.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

2 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

The first character I soloed through Praetoria back-in-the-day was Shade in Shadow... She was a Kinetic/Willpower Stalker, and handled it just fine. 

I'd go stalker as well.  One of the best solo ats really especially for story arcs due to the really high stealth  

Do you mean until you have to take the portal to Primal at level 20-25? (meaning all content, including maybe disabling XP to prevent out-levelling some contacts), then proceeding to First and Night Ward until 40s? Or do you mean staying gold until 50? Staying until 50 is possible, but requires a bit of creativity when taking missions. There are quite a few people who have earned their T4's without going primal. One of the most notable is @Darmian (Kameron Daniels) who did it on a Fender. I recently earned the Praetor Badge with a rad/energy blapper, so earning incarnates will be the next challenge.

I also have a few more lined up, one from each AT. My Beam/FF Corruptor is doing well. Unfortunately, I can't start Arachnos over on Goldside. I think ANY AT or power set can be built to solo ANY content, of course some would be a lot easier than others. It all depends on your play style, and how fast/slow you want to go through it, and inevitably on your notoriety settings. That said, I personally feel that some powers fit better thematically to gold like mind, psi powers and beam rifle stuff. Just my opinion, though.

I will say that gold side tends to get VERY lonely, and this is from a guy who solos a lot already. In fact, I had to buy a vanity pet from T4W (gold P2W) just to keep sane... kinda like Hanks and Wilson in Castaway. If you do plan on playing gold side and on Reunion, there's an Gold SG (The Praetorians) that you can join. We often run a few missions together in a team of 4-8, so it's things are looking up. Look me up (global @Six-Six) in game 😃  Good luck and enjoy.

Edited by Six Six

3 hours ago, Six Six said:

I will say that gold side tends to get VERY lonely, and this is from a guy who solos a lot already.

I've found that people will come goldside if you advertise it in the LFG clearly.

You usually have to help them get there, but I found it pretty easy to put teams together.

Anyway, I used a stalker - some of the missions are long and being able to just run to the end can help. Note, though, that a number of goldside missions have ambushes that ignore stealth, so it's not as reliable as it might be.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

7 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

Which part, the Illusion or the Sonic? 🤪

No, the pair together.

Sonic is full of team buffs.

PA, which you dont get soon enough, doesnt seem to benefit from the sonic buffs.

Just a rough combination (low and slow damage) for a zone that's slightly advanced.  I mean, you aren't fighting hellions over there lol.

For AT, I would role a Brute.  Brutes have a huge advantage at low levels because fury makes their damage skyrocket compared to others prior to full-enhancement.

For powersets, I'd go with Katana, so I could take full advantage of stacking Divine Avalanche.   

For secondary I would go with /Rad because it has a low level regen/recovery auto power.  Other sets' low level powers just suck endurance and are generally not worth turning on in a sustained fight.

As an alternative to Katana, I might consider Martial Arts and throw in Air Superiority as a pool power.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Of course, an ice tank will do it easily.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

11 hours ago, EmmySky said:

MM, any ya like.

Whether you plan it or not you will be soloing most if not all of Praetoria..at least with an MM you dont FEEL alone.

I have taken 3 through.

I do NOT recomment ill/sonic troller..that was hard.

Interesting.  I've actually tried Mastermind gold side a couple of times, and both times it lead to a lot of death as the ambushes completely ignored my pets and zeroed in on my character.

10 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

My Savage/Dark Brute managed well soloing through main Praetoria, the ex-Shredder is siting at 20 in First Ward at the moment.

One thing you have to remember it to NOT get the 2XP bonus from the P2W vendor if you want to enjoy the faction arcs. This run was strictly Loyalists Powers division and I found that sometimes I didn't have to turn off XP very often to avoid out-leveling a contact.

Yep, thank you.  I plan on disabling XP at levels 7, 14, and 19, to do all of the gold side content, switching back and forth from Loyalist to Resisistance.  With that, I see no point in using any of the XP bonuses from the P2W vendor.

8 hours ago, Six Six said:

Do you mean until you have to take the portal to Primal at level 20-25? (meaning all content, including maybe disabling XP to prevent out-levelling some contacts). Or do you mean staying gold until 50?

If you do plan on playing gold side and on Reunion, there's an Gold SG (The Praetorians) that you can join. Look me up (global @Six-Six) in game 😃  Good luck and enjoy.

I plan on doing all gold side content from levels one through 20 (switching between Loyalist and Resistance), First Ward, Night Ward, and then leaving gold side after finishing Night Ward around level 34 and heading red side.

This will be on Excelsior, but thank you. :classic_smile:

5 hours ago, EmmySky said:

No, the pair together.

Sonic is full of team buffs.

PA, which you dont get soon enough, doesnt seem to benefit from the sonic buffs.

Just a rough combination (low and slow damage) for a zone that's slightly advanced.  I mean, you aren't fighting hellions over there lol.

I actually have am Ill/Sonic Controller.

In some ways, the pairing works better than with Force Fields.

I mean, you can debuff the enemies Resistance so the PA will actually manage to do more damage.

That is something that Force Field can't do.

So, there is at least one power that can benefit the un-buffable PA, unlike FF.

But, I do like being able to keep multiple bosses flopping in a corner with Repulsion Field, Force Bolt, and Air Superiority.

And when a Paragon Protector boss is flopping, they're not Mogging. (or snogging)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChzBoi said:

obligatory Redlynne link  Alignment Switching

The Alignment Switching is no longer a concern because you can pass Resistance Gate/Loyalist Bouncer regardless of your alignment via Flashback.

However, if you want to stay gold until level 50 and your character alignment matters for you, carefully pick your alignment on your last story arc. You can not change alignment via Flashback.

Loyalists can pass through resistance gate in flashback missions - General Discussion - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

On 10/8/2020 at 11:42 AM, huang3721 said:

Did someone change how the resistance gates/loyalists bouncers work in flashback missions?

Zonw0ax.jpg

Last time they won't let my character pass a resistance gate due to her loyalists alignment.

On 11/23/2020 at 8:54 PM, Placta said:

I keep turning back to dominator: good enough damage that soloing in the 20s and 30s isn't going to suck, good crowd control to make City of Ambushes and closely-packed enemies in the underground maps manageable. I'm finishing up the GR launch Praetoria stuff on an elec/elec dominator; the early going was generally okay as long as I remembered to rest (and didn't get ambushed while doing so), and then Static Field is the best power ever for a soloer.

One of the last characters I made in the before times was a sonic/sonic defender to run through Praetoria. Never got around to playing her, and don't think I mind.

My first Praetorian after the Snap was a stalker (Dark/Ninja) & that was a breeze.

I thought I was crazy to run a Sonic/Sonic Defender as my 2nd Praetorian, but it wasn’t really much of a struggle.

My 3rd Praetorian was an Ice/Cold Corruptor & it was a smooth run.

My latest issue is a Plant/Thorns Dom, & she has been the easiest of all.  The ability to turn your overtuned enemies into your allies is priceless! 😎

Anyway, my advice is to play a character, archetype, & power sets that you enjoy.  It would appear that just about anything can manage Praetoria, so the issue is having fun there.

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

Mind Controller/Empathy!

How do I know?  Done it, it's great, still gold into the Vet levels.  Take that, Duncan!

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Praetoria 1-20 (Nova, Imp City, Neutropolis)

really not that bad.  you can do it with most anything if you want. though certain particular missions you want to prep with LOTS of inspirations.

I've done it with

• Staff / Willpower scrapper
  • Archery / Tac Arrow blaster
  • Cold Blast / Dark Armor sentinel
  • Ninja Blade / Ninjistu stalker
  • Dark Control / Rad Assault dominator

First Ward / Night Ward

now these, definitely kick it up a notch or five.  I have yet to get anyone 100% through all of it, I have gotten multiple character through different parts of it

• Staff / Willpower scrapper, did all of First Ward, not yet into Night
  • Assault Rifle / Martial blaster, did 90% of First Ward, still on Asylum mission
  • Invulnerable / Super Strength tanker, did all of Night Ward, but skipped First Ward

You definitely want to be slotted out well for the Wards.  I'm not sayig you need to level to 50 first, because you don't need to.  But I do think every slot you have available should be filled with IO sets, and you should have key ATO's slotted if you plan to solo the Wards.

All of that said, don't necessarily feel you must solo them. 

You probably won't find a team forming in LFG. You will probably have to form a team yourself.  Praetoria is NOT low-hanging fruit.  Most don't default to it.

But you'll probably get a few bites for people who've been itching to do some of it, and there's still a world of difference between solo and 3-4 man team. 

Also, depends what you have your difficulty settings on. 

I tend to be +2x3 with bosses by the time I get to the Wards, and well, ... that's probably not sane. Not for a lvl 25 or 30 character.

If you did +0x1, even with bosses, you'll still probably slam through missions without toooo much trouble. 

Edited by MTeague