Your most used IO's

Maestro Mavius

I'm still slowly figuring out how to use IO sets. I can look at builds here and mess around with Mids but I've found that I'm still missing something. 

Last night in game someone on chat mentioned a few procs/IO's that they always get no matter what toon they are building. I've been operating on the understanding that each build was customized so now I'm curious...

What IO's do you always make sure to get regardless of AT/powers? When do you normally slot them? 

The guy in chat was talking specifically about the Performance Shifter chance for endurance proc and since I was struggling with an ever thirsty Claws/Elec Brute build I went ahead and bought one and put it in Stamina. I didn't really notice a difference however, should I have put it in an actual power? 

What IO's should I memorize and try to get no matter what toon my altoholic self is rolling on? 

Kismet + Accuracy has found its way onto everyone of my characters since I have discovered it. Besides that a  Panacea + HP/End (in the way back it was a Miracle +) and LoTG +Recharhe are the only "standard" ones I use on most characters. 

You put the Performance Shifter in the right place. If you only have one, it's not that noticeable. In any case, your endurance issues will go away once you get Power Sink at lvl 35.

As far as IOs I almost always slot, Steadfast Protection +def, Gladiator's Armor +def, Preventative Medicine +absorb, Gaussian's +BU, Reactive Defenses +resist, Shield Wall + resist, Unbreakable Guard +hp, Kismet +acc, Performance Shifter +end, Numina's +regen/recovery, Regenerative Tissue +regen, Theft of Essence +end.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

7 minutes ago, Uun said:

As far as IOs I almost always slot, Steadfast Protection +def, Gladiator's Armor +def, Preventative Medicine +absorb, Gaussian's +BU, Reactive Defenses +resist, Shield Wall + resist, Unbreakable Guard +hp, Kismet +acc, Performance Shifter +end, Numina's +regen/recovery, Regenerative Tissue +regen, Theft of Essence +end.

Add in the Miracle +recovery and that's my list as well.

My eyes might be bugging out, but I didn't see Luck of the Gambler +recharge (x5) from the defense set listed yet.

• Thumbs Up 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

For the list of always, 100% of the time you'll find them in any of my builds, there's 

Pana proc

Steadfast 3%

Glad Armor 3%

Shield Wall

Perf Shifter proc

For 99% (I can think of an instance of not including one of these) of my builds, there's

Reactive Def unique

Prev Medicine unique

90% have 

Unbreakable unique

50% have Numina unique

0% have regen tissue and miracle uniques

Kismet is used leveling up and taken out once my accuracy threshold is met.

LotGs slotted 0-5 times depending on other build priorities.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

My eyes might be bugging out, but I didn't see Luck of the Gambler +recharge (x5) from the defense set listed yet.

Sakai listed it in the 2nd post. I didn't put it in my list as I only slot it about half the time (and usually not more than x2). But then I almost never take Hasten either. If I'm not building a dominator or Illusion controller, I shoot for about 60-70% global recharge and can usually get there without LotG.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

There are a few "styles" of building that you will discover lead to certain sets.  My type of building is not favored by the boards.  I like building for ranged defense on squishies.  This leads to a lot of thunderstrikes Bombardment and Artillery on those toons.  6 slotted, 5 for Bombardment.  So...no procs.  very unpopular.  Those sets have rech and acc as well.  Very different style of play to most sledgehammer builds.

For melee I like to run Invul and Dark.  For Invul I start with Hyperstrikes templates. For dark....I push for MORE resistance.  Unbreakable guard, winters, purples, Obliterations

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maestro Mavius said:

I'm still slowly figuring out how to use IO sets. I can look at builds here and mess around with Mids but I've found that I'm still missing something. 

Last night in game someone on chat mentioned a few procs/IO's that they always get no matter what toon they are building. I've been operating on the understanding that each build was customized so now I'm curious...

What IO's do you always make sure to get regardless of AT/powers? When do you normally slot them? 

The guy in chat was talking specifically about the Performance Shifter chance for endurance proc and since I was struggling with an ever thirsty Claws/Elec Brute build I went ahead and bought one and put it in Stamina. I didn't really notice a difference however, should I have put it in an actual power? 

What IO's should I memorize and try to get no matter what toon my altoholic self is rolling on? 

I saw your post, and I went back in time to write a guide that might help you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Who run Bartertown?

The thing too is once you start looking at people's builds dependant on AT you will notice Procs that are typically in the same powers over and over.

Some are personal preference, every one of my ATs always have the Numina, Panacea, and Miracle procs in health. You tend to notice people's signatures in their builds after a period of time. 

Yomo guide is great and what alot of these folks said ring true.

Gl

Edited by The_Warpact
Forgot something

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

@Yomo Kimyata's guide is my bible for those "need to have" IO's (seriously, read it, it has all the in depth info you need) , but to summarize and since you also asked about levels:

My 100% IO's because everyone has Health and Stamina:

Panacea (+HP/+End) at level 7

Performance Shifter (+End) at level 17

Preventive Medicine (Absorb) at level 17

Power Transfer(Chance of Heal) at level 18

All the others suggested I will hit on most of my characters at various levels, but Panacea at level 7 is a godsend for early levels and I can't see any reason not to pick it up as soon as available.  Kismet would be 100% on the list at level 7 if it didn't require an early pool pick for some AT's.

I think the people above have most of it covered. I'd just like to add that the rarity of an IO (uncommon, rare, PVP, very rare) do not necessarily translate to higher kind = better. some uncommon (yellow or otherwise cheaper) IOs come with very nice set bonuses depending on how to build your toon. Once you get the hang of it, try frankenslotting, when you put IOs from different sets to get different procs and/or set bonuses on a power. Welcome to the complicated world of builds. I doubt that there are are any two builds exactly the same, or used the same. When I was starting out, I'd look at other people's builds. it helped if they came with explanations as to why this was slotted there. Then I'd add my own changes to better fit my personal play style. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Miracle 15% Recovery, Numnum 10% Recovery/20% Regen, LotG 7.5% +Recharge, Synapse's Shock EndMod/15% +RunSpeed.  Those are the only ones I always use.  Everything else is determined on a build-by-build basis.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I"m with @Snarky.  I rarely load up attack powers with procs. I'm more interested in set bonuses.

For a few low-damage characters, (Earth / Poison controller), I will pick a few powers to proc-bomb with. But rarely more than 2 such powers. Melee characters I basically don't use damage proc's unless they happen to be the 5th or 6th piece of the set that I'm slotting. 

All of that said, 

4 hours ago, Maestro Mavius said:

IThe guy in chat was talking specifically about the Performance Shifter chance for endurance proc and since I was struggling with an ever thirsty Claws/Elec Brute build I went ahead and bought one and put it in Stamina. I didn't really notice a difference however, should I have put it in an actual power? 

Stamina is best place for Perf Shifter proc. You will, over time, get more endurance from that than you would from just another End Mod IO in the same slot.  Make sure your attacks have a modest degree of Endurance Reduction in them.  Most melee sets will have some Acc/Dmg/End, Dmg/End, etc pieces.  Especially for attacks that you spam non-stop, you'd be surprised how much difference a few partial-end-reduction set pieces make. 

Another favorite of mine that I don't see used that much. There are a few sets that give % Endurance Discount to All Powers.

• Annihilation (Ranged AoE) 5-piece:  3% end discount to all powers
  • Preventaitive Medicine (Healing) 5-piece:  3.75% end discount to all powers
  • Reactive Defenses (Defense) 5-piece:  3.75% end discount to all powers
  • Unbreakable Guard (Resist Damage) 2-piece:   2.5% end discount to all powers.
  • Warp:  (Teleportation):  3-piece:  3% end discount to all powers.

Now, some of those are going to be easier to fit in than others. I don't often 3-slot a Teleportation power, let's say.  But even using Unbreakable Guard in four of your resist damage powers will net you a 10% endurance discount to literally everything you do. And the 4-piece for Unbreakable Guard is some tasty Melee Defense, and you're going to want it's unique for the +Max HP's.

Now, could be one reason people don't focus that as much is becuase they rarely exemplar down, and instead rely on Incarnate / Cardiac to solve their end problems. I try to make sure I can always perform well with the same build no matter if I'm doing a Posi run, or Night Ward, or doing lvl 50 story arcs.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Uun said:

As far as IOs I almost always slot, .......  Numina's +regen/recovery, Regenerative Tissue +regen, ...

Just a quick note about regen tissue +regen, because you said you always slot it. Regen tissue is +25% regen. If you are slotting both Numina unique and Regen Tissue in health, a +5 boosted Numina: Heal is strictly better than regen tissue because of the 2 pc set bonus in Numina (+12% regen) which puts the value of the Numina: Heal at 33% !. Of course you can have both, but if you had to choose the regen tissue unique should be dropped in favor of a 2 pc Numina set. Impervious Skin is also strictly better than Regen Tissue unique because the first one you slot provides the same +25% regen in addition to some status resist.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Currently on fire.

32 minutes ago, MTeague said:

[...]

Now, some of those are going to be easier to fit in than others. I don't often 3-slot a Teleportation power, let's say.  But even using Unbreakable Guard in four of your resist damage powers will net you a 10% endurance discount to literally everything you do. And the 4-piece for Unbreakable Guard is some tasty Melee Defense, and you're going to want it's unique for the +Max HP's.

[...]

+1 to everything @MTeague said.  Also, if you go the 4-wide Unbreakable Guard route, stick the +MaxHP unique in whatever power gets Steadfast Protection +Def unique, as that will shore up the +Res you lost in the 4th slot of UGuard.  

• Like 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

I'd say Performance Shifter +End winds up on all my chars, usually with the End Mod one in Stamina for the move bonus

Often enough Miracle, Numina, Panacea, Preventive Medicine in various spots if I think about it.

Overwhelming Force almost always gets six slotted somewhere for the KB _> knockdown, etc...

ATs without KB protection get some form of KB defense.

LotG gets thrown into areas where I feel like it.  (often in 1 slot powers like stealth)  I think I have one char that has five of them.

I'm also in the Set Bonus over Procs camp.

One note regarding Panacea, that I haven't seen anyone else mention yet: because it's an HP boost/heal rather than a regeneration increase, once you slot it, it will constantly tick its heal numbers above your character's head.  This ticking effect can't be turned off (except by using a certain P2W temp power that turns everything off, and is all or nothing).  This may matter to you, or may not.  Personally, I won't use it because I find it pretty annoying,

Edited by Lazarillo
  • Thumbs Up 2

I always slot the following in all builds:

• shield wall & reactive defenses + res uniques
  • steadfast protection & gladiators armor +Def uniques
  • performance shifter + end
  • panacea +hp/end
  • luck of the gambler + rech (as many as the build can take up to 5)

I often take the following, but not always:

• miracle + recovery
  • numinas + regen/recovery
  • unbreakable guard +max hp
  • kismet +acc
  • Preventative medicine + absorb

For me I have a bunch I always try to fit into my builds.

For uniques, I generally aim for:

• Miracle +Recovery.  After that I shoot for Numina's Regen/Recovery and Panacea +HP/End
  • Preventitve Medicine Absorb Proc, super useful.  I try to 6-slot a power with the full set but I try to make sure to at least get this in somewhere if I can't.
  • Performance Shifter +End, at least one but if the power choices allow it i'll take a second.  A third is usually overkill.
  • Celerity +Stealth in my Sprint of choice
  • Blessing of the Zephyr KB Protection.  If the power choices already have KB protection I use a Winter's Gift Slow Resistance instead
  • Defense uniques: Shield Wall and Reactive Defenses for +8-18% global resistance.  Luck of the Gambler 7.5% global recharge, as many as I can carry
  • Resist uniques: Gladiator's Armor and Steadfast Protection for +6% global defense.  Unbreakable Guard +7.5% Max HP, usually combined with the set
  • Overwhelming Force Chance for Knockdown, if I have an AoE attack that doesn't have an inherent KD I like to throw one in.  I also use Avalance and Ragnarok procs in the same way when possible.

For overall sets:

• Preventitive Medicine, 6 slots, there's a nice 8.75% recharge at 6 and a 3.5% endurance discount at 5.
  • Unbreakable Guard, 4 slots, ~3% Melee defense per set at 4 and a 2.5% end discount at 2.
  • Basilisk's Gaze, 4 slots when not running damage procs.  Big ranged defense at 3 and a 7.5% recharge at 4.
  • I generally build for recharge unless I need a specific setup, so I favor sets with recharge bonuses; Crushing Impact, Decimation, Bombardment/Positron's Blast (Bombardment for Targeted AoE, Positron for Cones), Obliteration

Edited by ZorkNemesis
  • Like 2

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

On 1/30/2022 at 12:10 PM, roleki said:

+1 to everything @MTeague said.  Also, if you go the 4-wide Unbreakable Guard route, stick the +MaxHP unique in whatever power gets Steadfast Protection +Def unique, as that will shore up the +Res you lost in the 4th slot of UGuard.  

I don't know that I would do this every time. It just depends. 

For example: On a tank, s/l resists are often at cap. That's why I often will put the unbreakable guard 7.5% in tough, as opposed to a primary armor. More often than not, without even trying my tanks would be over the s/l cap with Tough, so it's a good mule set for the Glad Armor 3% and the Unbreakable Guard 7.5%.  I'll play around with the Steadfast 3%/res to see where it will be the most beneficial. 

In some cases, on brutes, I'm tempted to put the 7.5% unbreakable guard in something like Temperature Protection as a mule, because the brute will need all the extra resistance it can get.