updating crap mids and maps...

Snarky

so updating is not a thing for this old undead. 

i have not updated mids since the issue when they turbo-Fed exports   

i have not updated map overlays in years.  brightside, i have the pvp map that is rotated and cim memorized....

but now i need mids updated for the new issue.  and the maps, sigh.....

any advice for the grumpy undead?

Mids is easy... just download, install, and build away!  https://midsreborn.com/

Vidiotmaps can be easy-peasy through the modder tool, if it works for you - just download, open, select Vidiotmaps, and go.  If it doesn't work for you (like it doesn't for me), then a manual install is a little more difficult.  I hope there are no new map updates as it's a pain in the arse to manually do. 

40 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

Mids is easy... just download, install, and build away!  https://midsreborn.com/

Vidiotmaps can be easy-peasy through the modder tool, if it works for you - just download, open, select Vidiotmaps, and go.  If it doesn't work for you (like it doesn't for me), then a manual install is a little more difficult.  I hope there are no new map updates as it's a pain in the arse to manually do. 

yeah, i do it manually.  finding files and directories if that is the correct memory

58 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

I hope there are no new map updates

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there are LOTS of maps being updated, and quite soon.

As was mentioned, installing vidiotmaps via the City Mod Installer is the strongly recommended method. If that is not an option for you, then manual installation is fairly straightforward, and is covered in the installation section of the vidiotmaps thread. Manual installation used to be quite painful, but I've simplified it a great deal. You'll likely need to make some one-time changes to your launch parameters (assuming you haven't already done so for some other mod), but there are instructions and links in the installation section to help with that. You'll also likely need to delete your old installation, and there's a section that covers that too. If you don't delete/move the old one, the new install won't appear in-game.

Lastly, if you do plan to install manually, be sure to check back after i27p7 releases to the live servers, as there will be an update shortly thereafter. I'll post to the vidiotmaps thread linked above when the new maps are available. Barring any last-minute changes, it should be within a day or two of i27p7 going live.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
added info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Microphone 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

so updating is not a thing for this old undead. 

i have not updated mids since the issue when they turbo-Fed exports   

i have not updated map overlays in years.  brightside, i have the pvp map that is rotated and cim memorized....

but now i need mids updated for the new issue.  and the maps, sigh.....

any advice for the grumpy undead?

Sucks to be you...

...I mean the whole vamp thing and all.

<.<

>.>

• Haha 3

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

46 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Sucks to be you...

...I mean the whole vamp thing and all.

<.<

>.>

"I vant to suck...(line, line!)...your blood"

• Haha 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I'm with the undead on this one, every time I have to start this process it's always a headache of vague instructions and "oh, it doesn't work that way exactly here" or something.  The modder really helped though, but invariably it's a matter of 45 minutes (that's often all of my gaming time!) and then somehow it all starts working and I still don't know how or why.

Speaking of that modder, refresh my memory: do I have to download the new vidiot maps and then access them through, or does the modder get updates via some menu click that it will then put into place, or what?

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• City Council
5 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I'm with the undead on this one, every time I have to start this process it's always a headache of vague instructions and "oh, it doesn't work that way exactly here" or something.  The modder really helped though, but invariably it's a matter of 45 minutes (that's often all of my gaming time!) and then somehow it all starts working and I still don't know how or why.

Speaking of that modder, refresh my memory: do I have to download the new vidiot maps and then access them through, or does the modder get updates via some menu click that it will then put into place, or what?

When a mod is updated for the installer the mod will be highlighted in the installed mod list, and you'll get an update button in the Mod Installer that will update it for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't bother getting the City Mod Installer until a few months ago. Maybe us older folks are just more reluctant to change, maybe I expected it to be more of a hassle than it actually turned out to be, I don't know. 

But I'm glad I did. Just download this software, you won't regret it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mids' isn't worth downloading at this point.  The resource usage has shot up (Edge webview?  really?  they couldn't use something that wasn't a fucking resource hog?), they introduce two bugs for every one they fix and they haven't updated the database in five years.  Added stuff, yes, but not actually updated.  Rooted still toggles off Sprint in Mids', a bunch of sentinel *PPs are still using guessed-at stats, they made mutual exclusivity so aggressive that it takes ten times as much work to make an alternate or leveling build if it has ATOs... it's a goddamn mess and every time I've updated, I've had to comb through the entire database and fix all of the shit they've ignored or just plain fucked up.  And they tried to lock the database so it couldn't be fixed... yeah, that got my hackles up.

Fuck that.  Edit the database yourself and skip the updates.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I finally got Mids running on my Linux box.  I pretty much use it for reviewing builds, though I accidentally nuked my CoH folder which while a pain, does have me moving my backup routine to a more automated routine again...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the CoX game itself needs to have a native toon builder much like MIDS. I don't game much but Borderlands 2 has an easy web based toon planner. This is something that the HC team should have and then update when they add new materials that impact the builder.

CoX can be very complex when building a toon. Some don't care about builds, many others want to plan a build and some want precise numbers to create uber builds. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the CoX game itself needs to have a native toon builder much like MIDS. I don't game much but Borderlands 2 has an easy web based toon planner. This is something that the HC team should have and then update when they add new materials that impact the builder.

CoX can be very complex when building a toon. Some don't care about builds, many others want to plan a build and some want precise numbers to create uber builds. 

In general: yes, agreed.

In practice: seems we sort of have that already with our MIDS and the team that keeps it updated for us.  But we can't import the build directly into the game no.  😕

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

2 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

In general: yes, agreed.

In practice: seems we sort of have that already with our MIDS and the team that keeps it updated for us.  But we can't import the build directly into the game no.  😕

Mids used to allow two very good posts to the boards where you could eyeball sets.  Then they decided not to support that any longer.  Somehow, with a twenty year old game that has added a few sets and one AT, these folks have managed to slow Mids performance to a crawl and lose all export capacity.  It is an epic fail. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I still use Mids, it is a useful tool for framing characters and getting an idea of what the path will be.  I am sure that they will have the new powers soon enough.  I agree with the statements about making if more resource hungry the no longer supporting forum exports smoothly is a little bit of a pain.  But I also don't see anyone else out there coding something to compete or replace so I still support it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

12 minutes ago, High_Beam said:

I still use Mids, it is a useful tool for framing characters and getting an idea of what the path will be.  I am sure that they will have the new powers soon enough.  I agree with the statements about making if more resource hungry the no longer supporting forum exports smoothly is a little bit of a pain.  But I also don't see anyone else out there coding something to compete or replace so I still support it.

I agree with both of you, and it does still beat paper and pencil; if not for MIDS I'd be running around six-slotting Rest or something, probably.

• Thumbs Up 1

Go have fun!

8 hours ago, High_Beam said:

Yes, there is nothing else to my knowledge. Hence why I suggested having one attached to the HC site that they update when needed. Like I said, making a toon can be carefree and easy or be super complex. I don't make a toon without a build - I don't need an uber toon but it let's me know what I'm getting into with powers and some different combos. 

I'm confused why there has to be a big rigamarole mod manager when the .texture files I could (and still do) plug-and-play into the game's data folder seem to work just fine.

Only annoyance is the lack of an updated Siren's Call map that's still turned 90 degrees.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

I'm confused why there has to be a big rigamarole mod manager when the .texture files I could (and still do) plug-and-play into the game's data folder seem to work just fine.

Only annoyance is the lack of an updated Siren's Call map that's still turned 90 degrees.

i've got that one memorized....   now if they changed it, that would piss me off.

image.thumb.png.360ec8e9106e8c9f98bfc891deedba57.png

• City Council
8 hours ago, Lazarillo said:

Because why update many files, when one file is easier?  But really it's because the dev team stated that loading files from piggs is faster, and better from the game's perspective than the data overrides.  It also makes managing them MUCH easier want to remove a specific mod, but don't remember what all it modded? Go find your original zip, find EVERY file it touches, and go manually removing it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Now I just have to remember where to open the modder from, how it works etc.  😄

Go have fun!

• Game Master

I always found it an absolute pain to download and install vidiotmaps. I'm not very good with modding and stuff. The modder is so easy, and does all the work for you. You do have to make sure to delete any old files first though.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/21/2024 at 12:25 PM, High_Beam said:

And the statement for the CoH devs applies: Mids' devs are unpaid volunteers doing a thankless job. With the addendum that if they DO stop we'll all be in shitcreek because I sure am not going to do anything on paper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1