Replay Value - CoH

Fan Mail

I have been addicted to games that have replay value.   For the longest time, I always have a replay value game in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.  When CoX was gone this was my go-to for years.  I still have the installation CDs.

There are almost limitless values to CoH (as long as it's available).  Are there any other games to you that hold that value to you?  If this has already been asked, I don't mean to duplicate.   Just asking.

Ooh I'll play.

Alpha Centauri is one I also find myself returning to over the years. 

Company of heroes is on the list. 

Sid Maiers Pirates  is the other mainstay.   Been playing that game since I was 12ish on the Commodore 64.  Loved it.  Went to Havana a few years back and when we walked the cobblestone streets I thought of all the times I had tried to sack the city and never quite did.

Dear Lord we had a Vic 20 with the tape deck. Typing out code from some book so I could play Crazy Climber.  Kind of looked like it lol. 

I do think it is about time I visit Abandonware (are they safe?) and return to 4D Boxing so Speedy D Liver can make another run at the Champ. Never did beat him. 

The one game that claimed more of my life than City of Heroes is Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures.  This was a game editor that allowed you to create games in the old SSI 'Gold Box' style of Dungeons and Dragons games.  Eventually the game was hacked to allow you to import new music, walls, sprites, and the like.  I created at least ten full length adventures for this game.  There was an active community of players that's slowly dwindled but is still around.

• Thumbs Up 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Mario Kart and NCAA Football (RIP)

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Not sure if this particular questions has been asked, but there is a similar post elsewhere...\

I still hop onto SW:ToR from time to time.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

It's not new, it's not shiny and it's very dated but I still enjoy Master of Orion 1 & 2.  I'll start a game and suddenly it's 3 AM and I'm thinking "one more turn and then bed"... then I fall asleep at the keyboard.😜

• Like 2

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later
On 2/22/2020 at 4:52 PM, Coin said:

Another Sid Meir one from me, I love the Civilization games and play them consantly, always looking for ways to make it different, trying different Civ's in ways they wouldn't normally go etc.

I love Civilization games, but Sid Meier's Colonization is pretty high up on my all time favourite games too.  

Edited by wolfshadow31
Typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wolfshadow31 said:

I love Civilization games, but Sid Meier's Colonization is pretty high up on my all time favourite games too.  

Never played Colonization but I spent many an hour with Civ 1-4 and even enjoyed Alpha Centauri.  I bought Civ 5 and didn't like it as well.  My favorite of the bunch is probably Civ 2.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later

The game I replay the most is Civ IV. There are several different ways to win and I've enjoyed all of them.

I also play a lot of Total War Games. Technically they're different games but in practice they're more like mods to the same game. I particularly enjoyed TW: Three Kingdoms.

Far Cry is an old favourite. I've played that several times which is very unusual for me. I rarely play FPS games more than once.

On 2/22/2020 at 9:26 PM, Call Me Awesome said:

It's not new, it's not shiny and it's very dated but I still enjoy Master of Orion 1 & 2.  I'll start a game and suddenly it's 3 AM and I'm thinking "one more turn and then bed"... then I fall asleep at the keyboard.😜

I once played Master of Orion 2 largest map hardest difficulty from beginning to end in 1 setting.   Took about 27 hours.  It wasn't planned... I was just waiting for stores to open... ended up going to the store the next day instead.  

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

1 hour ago, Shred Monkey said:

I once played Master of Orion 2 largest map hardest difficulty from beginning to end in 1 setting.   Took about 27 hours.  It wasn't planned... I was just waiting for stores to open... ended up going to the store the next day instead.  

Yep, dang thing is addictive isn't it?  At least it's cheaper than drugs... although it can have much the same effect on you the next day.

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later
On 4/24/2020 at 9:20 PM, Shred Monkey said:

Stars in Shadow is the first 5x game to scratch the MOO itch for me. Lots of similarities but they made some really good moves like streamlining planetary build-up and hardpoint-based ship design. It currently feels like a complete game but they continue to update (slowy - 2-person dev team) and I believe they're planning another DLC expansion for this year.

Master of Magic and MOO2 are both available on steam with a bunch of community patches. MoM even has a new-content version. MoM to this day is one of the most brilliantly designed strategy games ever made IMO. The layering of magic, wizard, starting race choices all come together for a ton of variety and fun combos to try on.

Pretty much all of the X-Coms have had a ton of replay value for me.

I've sunk a lot of hours into Project Zomboid in recent years. Sort of a sims meets survival horror sandbox game. It's been in active development for 10 years. They plan on adding NPCs eventually but the number of complex systems plugged into the game definitely feel like there's 10 years of work in it. Cars in particular are kind of insane for all the parts you can upgrade/replace/break, etc. Most games are all about getting over the initial looting for what you need without dying hump, building up a proper safehouse with crops, some kind of water plan, an escape strategy, and then getting bored and reckless and getting killed while trying to find that one missing trainer book for a crafting skill-level you didn't really need. Fortunately, starting over is a lot of fun. There's also peer to peer multiplayer, which I haven't tried yet.

9 hours ago, Pherdnut said:

Master of Magic and MOO2 are both available on steam with a bunch of community patches. MoM even has a new-content version. MoM to this day is one of the most brilliantly designed strategy games ever made IMO. The layering of magic, wizard, starting race choices all come together for a ton of variety and fun combos to try on.

I honestly did not know this, but I've loved MoM since it was new back a quarter century ago.  If there's a new and improved version you can bet I'm gonna be buying that now.

Hmm.

Stuff that stays installed and replayed -

Command and Conquer 3. Single player is borked thanks to being "balanced" for multiplayer, but I find a skirmish vs multiple AIs relaxing.

Recent replay - Dragon Age: Origins.

Earthsiege:Cyberstorm. Turn based strategy from way back (and when I bought it, it was unique in having two CDs - one for you, one for a friend, both the same, so you could play over a LAN.)

WIngs of Prey - simple "simulator," but it's distracting.

And then there's my Atari 2600 (though now it's the retron - works better with a modern TV, though seeing Combat in widescreen is odd.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 5/9/2020 at 3:03 PM, Greycat said:

Hmm.

Stuff that stays installed and replayed -

Command and Conquer 3. Single player is borked thanks to being "balanced" for multiplayer, but I find a skirmish vs multiple AIs relaxing.

Recent replay - Dragon Age: Origins.

Earthsiege:Cyberstorm. Turn based strategy from way back (and when I bought it, it was unique in having two CDs - one for you, one for a friend, both the same, so you could play over a LAN.)

WIngs of Prey - simple "simulator," but it's distracting.

And then there's my Atari 2600 (though now it's the retron - works better with a modern TV, though seeing Combat in widescreen is odd.)

Haven't thought of Cyberstorm in maybe 20 years, it was a lot of fun.  Hmm, I DO still have the game in the old junk drawer, maybe it's time to try it out again.

Spoiler

• 4 months later
  • Retired Game Master

I hadn't noticed this forum!

Moo2 will occasionally demand some attention from me.  The interface and graphics are SO dated, but the game play is still really good.

There's a game called Startopia that I love, too.  They're remaking it and I'm hoping they aren't messing it up.  The beta is... lacking.  The snarky British humor in the original and the weird combinations of things that happened were great.  You need ALL the trash bins.

On 4/24/2020 at 6:29 PM, Saeletra said:

I always find myself going back to Mass Effect (2&3) and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Old post but +1 for VtM bloodlines. I played the Clan Quest mod for it a few weeks back. Highly recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the game. Adds in a Sabbat story-line with excellent voice acting.

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

#1 reply-able = City of Villains

Sid Meier's Pirates! +1

FIFA

NCAA Football +1 (could edit new plays)

Ultima Online

Galaga

If I had time to remake an old game: 'Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic' or 'Herzog Zwei'

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 3 months later

Well, I played the life out of Firefall, through all its good and bad, but then the new owners got all mysterious and pulled the plug a few years back so...

I like the Civ series, but I'll share an unconventional one:  Rail Baron Player (hereafter "RBP").  I've not played it since upgrading to Windows 10 a couple months back, but it's definitely on my replay value list.

For those who don't know it, RBP, is a computerized adaptation of an old Avalon Hill board game, Rail Baron.  That in turn, has some key similarities to Monopoly, but has a different enough format that it is clearly its own game.  One moves a "train" around a board composed of historical rail lines, gaining wealth for each successful station-to-station haul (determined by the role of the dice).  You're goal is to upgrade your train, buy up key lines, bankrupt other players by forcing them to pay fees for riding your network of rails, all while moving to certain victory conditions.  The board game is a lot of fun for 4 to 6 players, and the computer game improves on that by significantly faster game play, as well as offering an optional solo game with competent A.I. players, as well as expansion game boards that cover historic railroads in other countries, state-level railroads, and fantasy railways.  The graphics are basic compared to today's possibilities, but they're quite sufficient for allowing the focus to be the game, and not just a beautiful board.  There's even an expansion option for creating your own board with rail systems of your design, and an option to print out everything to make your own board game.

https://www.railgamefans.com/rbp/rbp.htm

Pro tip:  If playing the USA map, it's more important to buy railroads that connect east to west, rather than north to south, as the greatest cost threat lies in riding others' railroads for a long haul east to west without your own railroad system nearby.  Likewise an east-west rail system that cuts diagonally across the continent is to be preferred above one that runs horizontally east-west.

On 2/22/2020 at 7:26 PM, Call Me Awesome said:

It's not new, it's not shiny and it's very dated but I still enjoy Master of Orion 1 & 2.

It's Master of Orion: Conquer the Stars (MOO 2016) for me, but yeah.

I can play MOO II, and still think it's among the heights of 4x gaming, but even the remastered version looks like crap and annoys the heck out of me.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Neverwinter Nights (although I rarely play anymore, since having discovered CoH.  If a good Dark Sun Persistent world ever goes up though, you'll likely not see me around again for a while).

Megamek.  Super old.  Crummy graphics.  But I love Battletech and hate the clunky rules that come with the board game (not to mention the issue of finding players).  I never really learned how to do multi-layer/campaign style play, but I always fire up single player mode to face off against the bot with my battallions of giant robots.  Megamek does all the heavy lifting on rules/calculations, and I love that.

I recently downloaded Galactic Civilizations III.  It looks really cool, and I'm hoping it'll become one of my new favorites.  It's really complex though, and I haven't been able to find a good online tutorial.  Just gonna have to bite the bullet and sit down with it and learn on my own, I guess.

• 2 weeks later
On 2/22/2020 at 12:54 AM, Heraclea said:

The one game that claimed more of my life than City of Heroes is Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures.  This was a game editor that allowed you to create games in the old SSI 'Gold Box' style of Dungeons and Dragons games.  Eventually the game was hacked to allow you to import new music, walls, sprites, and the like.  I created at least ten full length adventures for this game.  There was an active community of players that's slowly dwindled but is still around.

OMG, I used to love FRUA back in the day and made a dozen terrible, terrible adventures for it. This was back before the internet exploded, so mercifully I didn't inflict them on anyone. I found the site you mentioned half a dozen years ago and have used it as an example of 'why are they still around'.

Which were the ones you made? I may have played them.