Where special IO's are not to be used

Diantane

Last night a player had a WP tank that I once tried, but just couldn't take alphas past level 30 and he was abandoned. Told him about it and he said that he added a bunch of IO's to fix the defense holes. That may have worked some, but you don't "fix" a bad AT with expensive IO's. Use them to make good AT better. This adds true value to your character.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 6
  • Thumbs Down 7

12 minutes ago, Diantane said:

Last night a player had a WP tank that I once tried, but just couldn't take alphas past level 30 and he was abandoned. Told him about it and he said that he added a bunch of IO's to fix the defense holes. That may have worked some, but you don't "fix" a bad AT with expensive IO's. Use them to make good AT better. This adds true value to your character.

Sounds like you really need to learn how to play this game before sharing your pearls of wisdom. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Up 5

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

There's all kinds of things you can attain with the IO system.  WP has high regen with lots of enemies surrounding it and some decent resist and defense.  On characters you take their strength (regen/hp) and shore up most of its weakness through the mathematics of your choosing.  In this case there's plenty of defense and resist bonuses you'll want to target.  I amplify my Shield tank in this way.  

Every AT is like this.  My permadoms are animals with recharge baked in plus any defenses I want to go for.  Stalkers, Scrappers, Blasters, Defenders, you name it, every and anyone can make use of the IO system.  There's a plethora of things at your fingertips to optimize a character that you thought subpar but someone else sees potential in.  

Edited by Mezmera

28 minutes ago, Diantane said:

First, figure it out.

You're mismatching words into areas that they aren't meant for. "Fixing a bad AT", yet you're talking about a powerset.

A "bunch" of IOS to fix def holes, I'm thinking the only hole around here is in whatever logic your trying to pull from.

"Use them to make good AT better", read that back to me. You're made of spare parts aren't ya bud.

Expensive IO's lol...yeah ok you putting purps or ATOs in there?

A WP tank that couldn't take an alpha lol...yeah ok. 

What exactly adds "true value to the character", you just pointed out complaints as far as I can tell. I figuring you'd have a hard time rolling a tire down a hill at this point. 

And honestly I'm the dumbass for even responding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

To summarize:

You couldn't make a build work for whatever reason.

Someone else did.

They were the one shamed for what they did.

Something tells me the issue with your play is you. (looks at poster's history) Wait, nope. That can't possibly be it. Sorry I even mentioned it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

46 minutes ago, Diantane said:

1.  There are no bad AT's (although I think you meant powersets).

2.  'Fixing' problems with a powerset is EXACTLY what many people use IO sets for.  Is that their only use?  Of course not.  Is it a popular use?  Hell yes.

On a side note, I have a WP tank currently working on her incarnate powers.  Not sure how you screwed up your build so that it couldn't take alphas past level 30.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

1 hour ago, Diantane said:

...but just couldn't take alphas past level 30 and he was abandoned.

I have a WP/SS tank that I recently got to 50. No special IOs. I played him extensively on the retail servers as well.

Never had a problem taking the alpha for the team, regardless of my level or the enemies' level.

I really hate it when people say "lrn2plan00b!" So... I guess I'll just say "maybe Willpower just isn't your powerset." And that's ok. No one has to love every powerset. Look for the powerset that does click with you.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

8 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I have a WP/SS tank that I recently got to 50. No special IOs. I played him extensively on the retail servers as well.

Never had a problem taking the alpha for the team, regardless of my level or the enemies' level.

I really hate it when people say "lrn2plan00b!" So... I guess I'll just say "maybe Willpower just isn't your powerset." And that's ok. No one has to love every powerset. Look for the powerset that does click with you.

My main sake is a WP brute. I got to 50 on level 25 common IOs. I had no real issue with alphas. Sure, there might have been some issues if I was facing +5/+6 and the mob type, but that's about it. To say a WP tank can't take alpha come level 30 is openly admitting the issue is the player.

• Thumbs Up 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

Willpower is great.  The only reason I do not use it is that Invulnerability (when properly built) is better.  You do have to build Willpower to play to its strengths, then play it that way.   Do not try to “fix” Willpower by building it like Invulnerability.  Built it for more health, add in sorcery Rune of Protection.  Alternate Willpower’s Strength of Will, Rune of Protection, and orange inspirations to handle the nastiest Alphas.  It is truly a powerful Armor built correctly.  In my opinion.  As long as you do not spend all your I/O budget trying to turn it into Invulnerability’s little brother that is

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mezmera said:

There's all kinds of things you can attain with the IO system.  WP has high regen with lots of enemies surrounding it and some decent resist and defense.  On characters you take their strength (regen/hp) and shore up most of its weakness through the mathematics of your choosing.  In this case there's plenty of defense and resist bonuses you'll want to target.  I amplify my Shield tank in this way.  

Every AT is like this.  My permadoms are animals with recharge baked in plus any defenses I want to go for.  Stalkers, Scrappers, Blasters, Defenders, you name it, every and anyone can make use of the IO system.  There's a plethora of things at your fingertips to optimize a character that you thought subpar but someone else sees potential in.  

Why are you answering an unserious post with a serious reply?

Edited by arcane
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's been far, far too long. After the week I've had I sorely needed this. 

Keep fighting the good fight to find something that works for you, because it seems all you're finding is unworkable and unfixable piles of dogshit. 

• Haha 5

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

4 hours ago, arcane said:

Why are you answering an unserious post with a serious reply?

Clearly you haven't teamed with the OP.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

35 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Let's discuss willful ignorance and how it has been a complete plague on our species ever since we came down from the trees.

Came down from the trees??? I was told the ground came up to us. This contradiction to my view of how the universe should be cannot and will not be tolerated. I shall whine and complain until it is so.

Edited by Six-Six
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Where special IO's are not to be used:

1) As inspirations

2) As bookmarks

3) As doorstops

4) As Christmas tree ornaments

Edited by KC4800
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Im not sure I can add anything to this thread that hasn’t already been said. 

However I do find the logic of ‘don’t use IO’s to make a powerset combo good’ hilarious 🤣 

Plus a vague underlining theme of ‘because I’d already written off those powersets for myself and I don’t want to be proven wrong’ 😅

• Thumbs Up 5

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

Last night I was playing with a "not good" AT. I realized it was because I didn't spend enough Inf on my Enhancements. All my existing enhancements were trashed and I put in all new bids for replacement Enhancements at 10x market prices, and now I have over 300 Alphas! The mistake I made was not spending MOAR on PRIMO Enhancements.

-This message brought to you by the Guild of EbilTM Marketeers. Past performance is not a guarantee of future returns. Spokesmen may have been compensated for their endorsements.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, tidge said:

Last night I was playing with a "not good" AT. I realized it was because I didn't spend enough Inf on my Enhancements. All my existing enhancements were trashed and I put in all new bids for replacement Enhancements at 10x market prices, and now I have over 300 Alphas! The mistake I made was not spending MOAR on PRIMO Enhancements.

-This message brought to you by the Guild of EbilTM Marketeers. Past performance is not a guarantee of future returns. Spokesmen may have been compensated for their endorsements.

Now i understand why someone would buy a lvl 53 cytoskeleton for 600 million.  They are more powerful and i am more richer.

• Thumbs Up 2