Officially Unofficial Weekly Discussion #24: Temporary Powers

This week our conservation revolves around to temporary powers, whether they are based on a timer, or charge system (these can be from story arcs, purchased, or crafted but they expire). Purchasable powers that don't expire (Sands of Mu, Nemesis Staff, Black Wand, Hover Boards, etc.) don't count. That said a temporary version of a power that is permanent does count, a la the Sands of Mu, Nemesis Staff, Black Wand that do expire do count.

Do you use make use of temporary powers?  Do you have characters that stack as many temp powers as you can like a collection? If so how many is your record? Have you ever built a character based on the regular use of a temp power? If so which power and why was it necessary? What are your favorite temp powers, what are your least favorite temp powers? Are there any that you feel compelled to get on just about any character you play? Do you have characters that rely on temp powers for travel instead of selecting travel powers?

Thanks again.

I tend to forget the temp powers I have, most of the time. The one that I try to get on every character and actually use is the Ring of Peebles. That thing is a life saver.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

I hoard my temp powers, never using them outside of jetpacks it seems.   Normally it's because I forget about them.  Though I do tend to use the ones that only last X amount of time just because.

Occasionally if I'm in a tough fight, I'll remember to check to see which ones may help.

• Like 3

Deep subject, or wide, or...nvm.  

Temps that run out, that I get from missions.  i do not use.  I tend to hoard them.  Once in a great while I will be in a situation where I am burning everything.  They get used then.  Otherwise they just clog up that section of the powers display.

P2W temps like jet pack, summon, grenades, envenomed dagger.  On low level toons or when doing flashbacks?  Like candy baby.

P2W temps like the heal, end recovery, and intangible.  emergency buttons I usually buy and half the time forget I have when it would be useful.  rarely use.

P2W "temps" like rocket board, vet reward attacks.  I use the flying carpet/rocket board a little more now that it does not detoggle.  But its still a hot mess.  Much like MM pets none of the themes are exactly what I want.  And just not flat out as good as other options at any price. The Sand etc are relatively useful in low level content.

Probably my favorite is the temp fly. Major dislike (such an easy fix that just is not in game....) is I do not like ANY of the jetpacks.  Mostly because I run a ton of magic theme.  Even my robots do not like it however.  they tend to have back costume pieces.  Can we get a "non animation" temp fly?  Just a glow or something?  preferably colorable?  Such an easy code. One option, no animation, does what fly does.  

• Like 1

Hmmm.

Stuff like the War Wolf Whistle, the (single) imp you get from billy heck, Amy from the KHTF, I'll tend to use sparingly.

Shivans, I'll tend to have. I'll even pick up the 500k reinforcement temp power. And most will pick up a jetpack at some point (unless they have fly) and the envenomed daggers.

I'll often grab the temp stealths from PVP zone patrols, as well. They're just useful, though you need to watch the duration.

Most everything else? Just gets built up as I play, and how much I have depends on what character I have. I'll pick some up (like the pistol) if they fit a character, or if they're low-damage initially I might pick up hand grenades and the energy AOE... but otherwise they just keep adding up 'til one day I look and have fifty or so.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

20 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Do you use make use of temporary powers?

Yes.

Do you have characters that stack as many temp powers as you can like a collection?

No. I haven't tried an all temp power character yet, but I do know at least one player that has done this.

Have you ever built a character based on the regular use of a temp power?

No.

But I did design a character and a temp power seemed essential to complete the character conception.

If so which power and why was it necessary?

It wasn't really based on the regular use of a temp power and to reply to this would possibly be a hint to my secret identity.

What are your favorite temp powers, what are your least favorite temp powers?

Favorites

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Plasmatic_Taser

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Temporary_Power:_Hand_Grenades

Least Favorite (don't use and likely never will)

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Offense_Amplifier

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Defense_Amplifier

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Survival_Amplifier

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Temporary_Power:_Kinetic_Dampener

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Temporary_Power:_Med_Pack

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Temporary_Power:_Power_Analyzer

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Temporary_Power:_Recovery_Serum

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Temporary_Power:_Resuscitator

Are there any that you feel compelled to get on just about any character you play?

No.

Do you have characters that rely on temp powers for travel instead of selecting travel powers?

Yes.

I have Winter Holiday characters that rely upon the jiggle jet (https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Jingle_Jet aka https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Holiday_Rocket_Pack) for their mode of transit.

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I'd like to see temporary powers become more relevant.  I'm not sure the best way to do that.  On one hand, they have to allow you to do something you can't, so they need to be strong or you've no reason to use them.  On the other hand they can't be game breaking or the game will break.

The jetpacks are pretty good examples of a good temporary power.  They're slower then full flight, but allow people without flight to fly when need to.

Also, I like the use of temp powers as a game mechanic rather then a reward or enhancement.  For example, the backpack water jets used to put out fires in steel canyon.  Or that wand for converting lost.  Using the temp power system as plot devices is a neat concept that should be used more.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I generally pick up the accuracy booster and damage booster from DFB and try to pick up the replacement accuracy booster from DIB at lvl 22. I try to pick up Flames of Prometheus from Mortimer Kal SF. When I do Dream Doctor's arc, I generally take Aura of Mot (vs. Blessing of Tielekku).

If you count the temp powers you can get and recharge via day jobs, there are several I get on almost all my characters:

Jet Pack - earned by logging off in the Shadow Shard (or Grandville). I always pick this up at lvl 1.

Base Teleporter - earned by logging off next to a base portal.

Revive Ally - requires Physician (logging off in hospital) and Professor (logging of in university). Once you get it, can be recharged by logging off in either location.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

The Temporary Power I covet is the IR Goggles.  When those Arachnos go invisible, my characters usually have no defense.  I just wish I could buy more time or remember where I got them (and if I could get more).

I like the idea that they are available through a mission, so they are not initially purchasable.  But I would like to be able to renew them before the time expires.

Something I just thought of:  Temporary powers cannot be enhanced.  What if there was a pool power that would affect them.  Maybe something with 2 or 3 slots that would accept aim, damage, recharge, or something generic.  It shouldn't take jump or flight so it can't be used for the travel powers.  For example, it would affect the Hand Grenade Temp power so it hits more often, or can be thrown further.  But very limited for how much improvement can be added.

53 minutes ago, Rishidian said:

I just wish I could buy more time or remember where I got them (and if I could get more).

"These Temporary Powers are acquired by foiling the arms dealers during Weapon Raid Side Missions within Mayhem and Safeguard missions. These powers are awarded to the person who clicks the objective in the side mission, and are random as to which power is awarded." https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/IR_Goggles_(Raid)

There's a base empowerment buff you can craft that provides increased perception. There's also the Rectified Reticle: Increased Perception IO that you can slot in any power that accepts tohit buff sets.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Every character gets:

• Envenomed Daggers (sooner or later, you will face an AV)
  • Plasmatic Taser (sooner or later, you will be on a Synapse TF)
  • Jump Pack (because it increases travel speed while active)
  • Self-Destruct (because sometimes you have timed out on all the other travel powers)
  • The timer-base travel to mission powers

When I can, everyone gets:

• Shivans, they are simply too handy. Not every character needs them (at level 50), but every character can use them

Depending on power choices, I will occasionally buy jetpacks. I don't like NOT having a travel power, but I have at least one build that I felt I couldn't slip one in for the concept, so he has a Magic Carpet.

The temp power I wish I could buy (please someone tell me this is true!) is something that does a mag 3 Immobilize. I find it weird I can diminish GMs Regeneration with Envenomed Daggers but I can't buy something to single-target immobilize.

The damage scale for P2W attacks appear to follow the AT scale, which seems kinda sad to me.

Temps that run out, that I get from missions.  i do not use.  I tend to hoard them.  they just clog up that section of the powers display.

Can we get a "non animation" temp fly?  Just a glow or something?  preferably color-able?  Such an easy code. One option, no animation, does what fly does.  

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 4/13/2023 at 1:11 PM, SeraphimKensai said:

Do you use make use of temporary powers?  Do you have characters that stack as many temp powers as you can like a collection? If so how many is your record? Have you ever built a character based on the regular use of a temp power? If so which power and why was it necessary? What are your favorite temp powers, what are your least favorite temp powers? Are there any that you feel compelled to get on just about any character you play? Do you have characters that rely on temp powers for travel instead of selecting travel powers?

I collect temp powers on my badger.  I have not done this lately, so he only has 111 (I just counted).

Everyone MUST have a Shivan Shard and Vanguard HVAS for when the team runs into an AV they can't handle.  A few also have the Envenomed Daggers - super useful.

Just about all of my characters have one or more jetpacks in their tray.  Most don't have fly and other travel powers don't cut it for Hamidon raids.  A few characters have multiple jetpacks to coordinate with different costumes.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 4/13/2023 at 12:13 PM, Skyhawke said:

I tend to forget the temp powers I have, most of the time. The one that I try to get on every character and actually use is the Ring of Peebles. That thing is a life saver.

I agree.  Peebles' ring temp is probably the only one I place in my tray.

I forgot where I got it, but I had a throw wrench temporary power that was pretty fun.  Made me feel like Patches O'Hoolahan.

Hit and miss for me.  Jet Packs and Jump Packs, and any summons (War Wolf, Loa Bone) I keep and actually drag out onto an ancillary tray.  A few temps work well from a thematic standpoint that I feel character invested when they use them on a lark; grenades on my traps people or my gunfighters.  At low levels when doing Flashbacks they are helpers, especially stuns (Confiscated Beanbag is awesome really).  Some you can get over again when you use them up via Ouroboros, Striga really is great for two good temps (Wedding Band and Whistle).  Temps form Safeguard/Mayhem are on my like list.

But others, I actually delete them.  Almost never even think about them and the clutter bothers me.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

I like temp powers. Some I like way more than others. I find it helps encourage players to do various missions because you get something unique out of the experience.

I'll admit when I do get these powers, sometimes I am reluctant to use them as I don't want to see them get used up and be gone!

Jet and Jump Packs fer sure. Plas Tasers for my squishies. I REALLY love stun grenades for my lowbie soloists, but they're a might expensive, relative to everything else.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Heavy Rock, what am I, Charlie Brown?

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Adding my affirmative to forgetting to use temp powers.  I think this is because I usually perceive them as too weak to begin with.  If I had a temporary baseball bat of 10 uses with extreme conical damage, I'd certainly be putting that in a position to use in a tough scrape.  Sort of a poor man's "I Win" button.

I do use jetpacks often.  I keep jetpacks on every character that does not take flight.  It is unfortunately necessary due to things like the Shadow Shard.

I do keep certain reward temp powers handy, usually those that will drop a temporary fighter into the match (For the reason, see the "I Win" comment above).  In fact I was eyeing that control for the temp power rewarded from the Katie Hannon TF just the other night during a tough fight.  I did use one charge of it due to getting jumped by a gang.

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

Adding my affirmative to forgetting to use temp powers.  I think this is because I usually perceive them as too weak to begin with. 

That is an issue.  Some temp powers are very good but most seem to be just another attack that I don't care about since I already have attacks.

99% of the temp powers I get, I click 'Remove from Tray' almost immediately and never think about them again.

One that I do use sometimes is the Iron Blade power from Croatoa. It lasts a good while and can be re-acquired. I use it as an extra attack power on a few lower-damage characters. It does decent damage even against non-Fey, and allows me to continue to avoid P2W like the plague.

On 4/13/2023 at 10:11 AM, SeraphimKensai said:

Do you use make use of temporary powers? 

The only one I (used to, been a minute for this particular toon) regularly re-up that qualifies for your list is the Enchantment of Serafina for my Psi/SD scrapper. Because the +dmg to Psi is too juicy to leave on the table.

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=temporary_powers.temporary_powers.enchantment_of_serafina&at=scrapper

It does mean running that <opinions may vary, not my favorite> strike force to get it though. 🤣

Edit: I am mostly certain the text description is wonky. It doesn't "add" Psi dmg, it buffs existing Psi dmg. There is always the chance I'm wrong, but it seemed that way in regular use.

Edited by InvaderStych

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.