Anyone else prefer to just play "regular" coh?

Lately I've been trying to just play "regular" ie going to contacts, getting a mission, completing arcs... I have only two 50s since returning from 2005... i barely know what's going on in the endgame... and this method of play is more relaxing to me.

I advertise in LFG some version of "old school mission team, unknown enemies, unknown maps..." sometimes I add "we will probably have to use pulling and other tactics... we will die some"

I usually get only a few takers who say "sounds fun" or "let's do it" which is fine because I personally prefer small teams. It either goes really well... or people are leaving halfway through the first mission.

Croatoa is the latest culprit. The maps and quality of the missions are all over the place. I don't even know that it's an xp issue, because it seems fine to me. I play on +1/x4 maybe that seems low to people? But i never stop moving and fighting.. 

Is this just not a thing anymore?

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1
  • Microphone 1

There are plenty of us but we tend to be less vocal about forming groups etc. If you happen to play on Indomitable there's a solid group there known as "steady Indom" (you can join the channel) and we have a regular Saturday team and often do other content runs.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

That's how I play (mostly solo), although my playtime is minimal of late.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Forager said:

Lately I've been trying to just play "regular" ie going to contacts, getting a mission, completing arcs... I have only two 50s since returning from 2005... i barely know what's going on in the endgame... and this method of play is more relaxing to me.

I advertise in LFG some version of "old school mission team, unknown enemies, unknown maps..." sometimes I add "we will probably have to use pulling and other tactics... we will die some"

I usually get only a few takers who say "sounds fun" or "let's do it" which is fine because I personally prefer small teams. It either goes really well... or people are leaving halfway through the first mission.

Croatoa is the latest culprit. The maps and quality of the missions are all over the place. I don't even know that it's an xp issue, because it seems fine to me. I play on +1/x4 maybe that seems low to people? But i never stop moving and fighting.. 

Head on over to the Indomitable subforums and sign up for a weekly team event, such as our wildly popular Theme Team, Steady Indomitable Weekly Red and Gold Static Team, or if you're looking for some hard to snag badges, join me in my weekly Indom Badge Runs event (self promo!).

We also run MSR, Hami, iTrials, or CoP throughout the week. 

We've got more XP than any other North American server and there's no lag thanks to a lower population. Come join us!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Forager said:

I go through periods where I solo a lot of stuff.  Not sure why.  My favorite method is to take a toon and do every contact in a level range, stpping exp to get it done, then move up to the next, repeat, etc

5 hours ago, Forager said:

Sound like fun to me.

When I team with friends from RL, we do a lot of mission arcs.

It has seemed like many really don't like hunts and they are liberally thrown into many contacts' missions lists outside of the newer content (Night Ward and First Ward are pretty hunt-less if I recall correctly)

I definitely find tactics other than "steamrolling" (I prefer to call it "bull in a china shop" tactics) more enjoyable.

I don't even know that it's an xp issue, because it seems fine to me. I play on +1/x4 maybe that seems low to people? But i never stop moving and fighting.. 

Myself, I like higher difficulty versus mob size.

Generally, if the team can take it, I move it up to +2 as soon as possible in game content (I don't run end-game content if I can help it).

If I'm soloing, I might put it on +2 if the character can handle it.

When teaming, I generally leave the x# at x1 but will sometimes put it a x2.

Generally, there are more players looking for a team than those willing to lead a teams, so if you recruit and keep recruiting while running a contact mission team generally you will get people to join you regardless or level range. This is always dependant upon which server you are on and the current population.

I haven't recruited for a generic contact mission team for a long time.

I like running on bigger teams so when I recruit, I'm generally trying to get a task force going.

Seems like a lot of feedback from Indomitable for weekend work.

I don't think I've ever managed to get on any team over there other than an DFB, but I can't game on the weekends due to my work schedule.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

5 hours ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Unfortunately it's not. Unless you're on +4/x8 and steamrolling thru missions as fast as possible most people aren't interested.

Thats not what I’ve seen. It depends on time of day and patience of course but I mean you can form an old school team in ~10 minutes on a good day and maybe 30 to an hr on a bad.

I would know, I have 25 old school 50s and the rest from PLing myself. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

10 hours ago, Forager said:

Pretty much all and my friends ever do, with the occasional Hami and SNS thrown in, sometimes an SF.  Just finishing up Janet Kellum's arc in FF beating on Crey and Paragon Protectors, mostly done with 2 stalkers and 2 blasters, quite a bit of fun.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

This is all i do... I run story arcs to level up with TFs/SFs/Trials tossed in.  I mostly run solo as I like to read the content - yes, even after playing each arc 500 times since 2004, I still like reading through the content.  Most teams don't like to take things slow and casual or give the leader a chance to read the content.  And, running with a team (especially at increased levels) goes through arcs too quickly a lot of the time.  ..so hence... mostly do this solo.

But there are times I may open up to running arcs while teaming.  I'll adjust the level to +whatever depending on the team's capabilities.  

But yes, running arcs is how I level and up play.  

13 hours ago, Forager said:

Lately I've been trying to just play "regular"

While not the exact same thing as what you're saying, sometimes I'll just log in and fly around various zones and watch what NPCs are saying or see what vistas or unmarked points of interest I can uncover, or just look for nice "photo-ops"...

I guess it makes sense there are quite a few active forum users that are into it. This is, by definition, the most patient and interested players.

I have read about Steady Indom and it sounds more like my speed.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Forager said:

You might get better results if you were more specific in your description. For example, "xx lvl mission team running [contact]'s arc at +x". Obviously some of the arcs are more fun than others, but I had very good results when I recruited for the Freakalympics arc.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Forager said:

I say "Chilled out missions teams running in X at level Y, anyone welcome" or similar.

People like specifics, so giving a location helps get people in because it makes the group feel organised. The words "chilled out" in an LFG description is my cheat code for nicer groups.

• Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

Oh hey, its this thread again.  I was wondering when it would pop up after the last one on the Suggestions forum petered out.

• Banjo 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 2
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Everlasting's Actionette 

Also Wolfhound, Starwave, Blue Gale, Relativity Rabbit, and many more!

I've had good success with something like:

"World's slowest ITF now forming. Yep, we're gonna stop and smell the Silphium!"

• Haha 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I'm still hoping to one of these days, when I have a new character to start from square zero again, to find a regular group to actually experience at least the full 1-20 Resistance story line in Praetoria, yes, with everyone actually running the arcs themselves as well.  Also have a Praetorian gal that managed to do SOME of that, but now has never been able to find a similar group to fully experience the First Ward/Night Ward arcs (which I have still never done other than on teams that just want to blast through it all as quickly as possible, not even time to train up or anything, no communications at all and when one does pause to try to type out anything, the team is already in the next mission, likely mostly through it before you can even get to the door, etc.

How does one get a team for that sort of thing?  Even when I do advertise specifically what I am looking for, it always ends up otherwise anyway.

I am also hoping to one of these days actually experience all the different TFs and SFs, instead of no communications or waiting up for anyone speed runs.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, skoryy said:

Oh hey, its this thread again.  I was wondering when it would pop up after the last one on the Suggestions forum petered out.

Thanks for your contribution. This was valuable insight.

• Haha 5

On 6/19/2024 at 4:04 AM, Forager said:

Are there people who play as you do and like playing as you do?    Yes.

Are there people who like to play completely differently, and don't like playing the way you do?    Yes.

Are the majority of the player base playing as you do?  No.

Im failing to see the issue here other than perhaps indirectly saying you feel others should play as you do?

• Microphone 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Play regular?

As in login and:

1. Monday:
    1. Work on my bases. Move stuff around. 
    2. Close chat
    3. Screw it, open chat and see what is happening in General ...close chat..... lol
  2. Tuesday:
    1. Tackle current alt (PsiBlade/Shield Stalker at the moment) ... only 250 to go
    2. Work Zone badges for her
    3. Work on Incarnates
    4. Do some auction house shenanigans ...
    5. To Hami or not to Hami
    6. See what is running
  3. Wednesday
    1. Tackle current alt (PsiBlade/Shield Stalker at the moment)
    3. Work on Incarnates
    4. Costume work
    5. work on Flashback arcs for badges
    6. Hami ... or something
  4. Thursday
    1. Tackle current alt (PsiBlade/Shield Stalker at the moment)
    3. Work on Incarnates
    4. Bio ... no ... character actual biography
    5. Hami ... or WST ... or something
    6. Garden ... I don't farm ... lol
  5. Friday
    1. Whatever
    2. See what is running
    3. Or Flashback arcs
  6. Saturday
    1. Remember this a game, and to have fun
  7. Sunday
    1. Same as Saturday

Kinda what I do ... but pretty much

Edited by JasperStone
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Moose 1

/e poofgone

I guess it makes sense there are quite a few active forum users that are into it. This is, by definition, the most patient and interested players.

I have read about Steady Indom and it sounds more like my speed.

I think it's also important to realize that many of us have very limited play time. This is not a game populated by young adults and teenagers anymore. This is a game that us older folks enjoy. So, when I jump on sometimes I want to just steamroll while piling on the XP so I can play a character concept in my head at full strength. 

Recently I've been only playing my Dominator who is already at 50 and has nothing left to gain. I just enjoy the character. So, I've happily joined a few teams here and there that are going slower and just enjoying the scenery. It just depends on what's going on during the day/evening. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 1