If you could radically overhaul 1 thing....

Galaxy Brain

11 hours ago, Six Six said:

Also, get credit for completing the contact mission. If I run Marchand's missions with someone, I shouldn't have to redo them for myself when I do his arc. Maybe that should have prerequisite that I do have that mission up... something like that. It will make it seem that the leader and I are actually doing the mission together, not just me riding piggy-back as a hired hand.

That's how it works at the moment.  If you're teaming with someone and you both have the same mission, then completing theirs will also complete yours.  You just need to keep calling the contact to turn in the mission and pick up the next one, and you'll both progress through the arc in sync.   The only exception is for failable missions, like some of the rescues.  In that case you'd have to repeat the mission with the second player's mission set as active to complete it.

The big issue, as you said, is that for most missions you don't get to see the in-mission dialogue unless you're the mission owner, and it would be brilliant if it was changed so you could.  I tend to duo with my SO, so whoever has the mission just reads the text aloud, but that's not really a convenient general solution :-)

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

50 minutes ago, Grouchybeast said:

That's how it works at the moment.  If you're teaming with someone and you both have the same mission, then completing theirs will also complete yours. 

True if and only if you enable it

Menu - Options - General - Team Options - Collaboritive MIssions = Enabled/Disabled

EDIT:  I don't remember what the default is, but I remember having to find that option, so I suspect it may start disabled.

Edited by MTeague

19 minutes ago, MTeague said:

True if and only if you enable it

Menu - Options - General - Team Options - Collaboritive MIssions = Enabled/Disabled

EDIT:  I don't remember what the default is, but I remember having to find that option, so I suspect it may start disabled.

Ah, thank you!

I don't remember doing that when I restarted playing, but I think I copied over my old settings files, so if the option is stored locally the game probably just loaded up with the option already turned on.

Regeneratio delenda est!

22 hours ago, TJBC said:

Lots of good suggestions. For me it would be altering the exp bonus for maximum sized groups (8) by just giving the max bonus to any group. 

My favorite experiences in this game have been in small groups but these days no one will start a mission without 8 players. 

Doesn't increasing the slider to x8 do this? I have no idea if it does or not as I never really bothered looking at XP, but I would have assumed that it does.

Completely remove set IOs and convert enhancements from a Skinner Box progression system to a character customization system 

• All enhancements are attuned at crafted IO strength.
  • Resist powers would have something like aegis for every damage type.
  • Example: Dark embrace. You could choose to slot +resist to improve S/L and N, or choose to pick up a 5% cold resist because it fits your character better.
  • Ditto defense.
  • Attacks are similar. Your choice how much you want to improve the base damage vs add specific typed damage.
  • Added damage is a scaled portion of damage, 100% of the time.
  • Accuracy enhancements add a chance to crit, reduced chance by enemy defense.
  • Ranged attacks all have very low range (probably 25', 50' for snipes) but +range enhancements would add like +70-100% each.

And then enhancement vendors would be reimagined as a different type of training.

... You said radical.

Edited by Replacement
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its a toss up between changing the skin on the Team Transport power to anything else but Longbow and adding toggle suppression to the Flight powers that detoggle the user (magic carpet, rocketboard, void skiff).

I would love to have the Base Raiding System, however with the current system for bases, I think that ship has sailed.

Edited by Myrmidon

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Lots of ideas already mentioned.. so I'll go a little more obscure, not really needed but maybe..

How about some type of skill requirement.

Should folks be 50 without having played the character? Wouldn't need to be mastery or anything too terribly hard.

(Maybe one mission, badge, or something needed every __ levels. Maybe 30, 40, 50 or 45 & 50)

Edited by Troo
cleaned up

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

12 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

That's how it works at the moment.  If you're teaming with someone and you both have the same mission, then completing theirs will also complete yours.  You just need to keep calling the contact to turn in the mission and pick up the next one, and you'll both progress through the arc in sync.   The only exception is for failable missions, like some of the rescues.  In that case you'd have to repeat the mission with the second player's mission set as active to complete it.

oh. I did not know this. =(

Thanks 😃

I would get rid of the near binary status effect protection in the game, and allow more shades of grey...

Tanks get 12 protection from everything, nice helps them do their job solo and in teams

Scrappers and the like (rest of melee) get 8 protection, actually very nice and they shrug off any status effect even when spammed by a group.

and here is the problem, the rest gets absolutely none, which is dumb.

I would give all others, following the trend shown above, a 4 protection to all others, for it is enough to take the first hit of 1 or 2 mobs in the first round, but not enough for 3 mobs attacking you in the same round, nor a second refresh of status effect attacks attacks by 2 on the second round. This means the non melee are still vulnerable, but not absurdly vulnerable.

This would be nice to implement despite the eventual availability of Clarion, would say with IOs defenses can be very high, but many unbalanced mobs that can use status effects, and spam them as a practice, cheats the non-melee player by not having their attacks with both positional and type components; for example the rikti "controller" is a type attack with no positional component, and guess what trying to get 45% defense versus psionic is rarely possible for a non melee class to attain, and toxic is even more ridiculous; which ultimately  renders defense as a survival method rather lame against this 2, then of course there is the spam use of defense debuff, that debuffs you with out even having to hit you or again exploits the non paired damage type attack.

So at the end, non-melee which are combatants too in groups and solo, need status effect protection albeit not as good as melee, but common let them have something reasonable.

Sue

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Six Six said:

oh. I did not know this. =(

Thanks 😃

You're welcome :-)

As @MTeague reminded me, you do need to enable it in options:  Menu --> Options --> General --> Team Options --> Collaborative Missions [Enabled/Disabled].

Regeneratio delenda est!

I'm gonna have to go with something I have half-a-chance of actually doing, since I have a vague familiarity with:

Reorganizing the costume creator would be a side effect, but the big swing would be rebuilding the 3D assets/textures in a more accessible toolset. The fact it's all built in a proprietary toolset that no longer officially exists, and has to be hacked at to achieve anything is a big barrier to adding more costume pieces, converting existing NPC pieces to usable PC pieces, dealing with base building objects, buildings, vehicles, *maps*, etc. The graphical update that people have been asking for would likely be easier if the asset modelling itself was easier.

Personally I'd convert it all to Blender, GIMP, and Inkscape as those seem to be the current freeware standards for 3D modelling, raster painting, and vector drawing, and they are unlikely to go away any time soon. However, others are far more skilled than I in this area and might have better ideas for more efficient workflows.

• Like 4

I don't expect to get much support for my pie-in-the-sky radical overhaul.

I love this game, but my aesthetic objection is that there are simply too many overpowered heroes.  I'm a sucker for a good progression story.  Peter Parker goes from wrestling in a home-made costume to punching out Galactus (that part may not be true) as he progressed.  I love the idea of 8 scrappy neophyte heroes teaming up to take down a Skull AV -- it's like Mystery Men!  I hate the idea of six teams of the Avengers (the good ones, not Hawkeye!) forming a league to punch out the giant Jello(tm) mold that is Hamidon, twice nightly.  Incarnate powers from the Well make you a god.  Well there's more gods around than you can shake a stick at.  And you know what they say:

I would change the team progression so that you only could have 8 members under a certain level.  By the time you hit 50, no more than 4 on a team.  I would also restrict the number of incarnates per account to a small number, like two.  If you wanted to promote someone, you would have to demote someone else.  

I only mention this idea because I know it will never happen.

• Like 3

Who run Bartertown?

On 9/12/2020 at 8:53 AM, Coyotedancer said:

"Sorry guys. I can't make it to this mission... Auto-Hostile Overpowered Contact NPCs X, Y and Z are being jerk-asses. I've been killed three times just trying to cross the zone to get to the door-" is pretty much the complete opposite of fun. <_<

Sounds like it wouldn't have to be any worse than the usual game of dodge the perception radius as you cross a zone.

• Thanks 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

The enhancement system is in a terrible state and has utterly obliterated several aspects of game balance. The game is too easy to make too easy. 

Everyone and their cow is rocking levels of defence that tankers would once have dreamed about and cheap recharge bonuses make emergency powers into perma powers.

Remove most of the +defence set bonuses that give everyone an effective armour set. It's broken.  

Ditto most of the +recharge bonuses. You shouldn't be able to replace Hasten with influence. (I'd also add a bigger crash on Hasten.)

Make it possible to enhance damage resistance debuffs. It's not possible for a really stupid design oversight, from what I remember. Ditto -DMG.

Lower the Rule of Five to three. It's abused.

I'd also call for the return of crashes on blast nukes.

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

Can I have another one?

Streamlining enhancements!

At the moment, enhancement drops are inferior to the ones that can be crafted. There's a big rift between the two that I'd try and meet. Obsolesence bothers me.

All TOs, DOs and SOs would no longer expire, behaving exactly like crafted IOs. If you get one from a drop, it could be useful to you until 50.

To keep things simple, you can craft SOs (but not DOs or TOs - they'd be interface clutter). Generic IOs will be gone, but just for the sake of having fewer types of enhancements. This means you'll be able to access SOs from a lower level. The SOs available to craft correspond with your origin.

I'd do away with generic/SO recipes, since enemies are dropping the actual enhancements anyway, and just double the cost of crafting them at the workbench. Cut out the middleman. Once you have the corresponding badge, the price is halved.

The upshot is, crafted enhancements and drops are exactly the same thing.

Set IOs will still drop as recipes, but I'd do one of two things:

Either

Separate attuned IOs from the levelled IOs pool in the AH. You can basically circumvent using catalysts as it stands, which I find kinda weird from a game design point of view. It makes a small bunch of things redundant and that cannot be tolerated in my empire!

Or

Crafted set IOs are only attuned, levelled ones are gone. Keeps it simple.

Edited by Lines
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our selection of animal heads would be much better if I were driving this bus, let me tell you!

Like that one that looks like a bat, with the nose?  Have you ever seen anyone use it?  I did ONCE, and was in fact told I had a really ugly character (which was fitting as he was red side, but still).

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 9/11/2020 at 9:25 PM, Luminara said:

And barring either of those, I'd add damage to collision physics so Knockback could be more than soft control.  Knocking an enemy into a wall should hurt, not merely provide a brief pause in incoming damage.

That's something I've often wanted, the further the KB into things the more damage. It would make slotting for KB actually meaningful.

Another thing I would like to see is to be able to purchase through the AH, or with merits, slot unslotters and power unslotters. Like enhancement unslotters, but they let you remove the slot/power so you can rechoose them without having to go through a full respec. I hate having to do a full respec when I only want to change one power.

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"