The War Needs To Stop! Enough is Enough.

Xcillion

I'm glad that this game has come back. So I'm expecting tons of hate once I post this. So Please be respectful.

City of Heros is in my books one of the best games that have had many memories over many years. A Book worthy master piece that thankfully lives on.

But war is in our midst. Filled to the brim with People who hate on others.

Monuments taken away, Players hurting every few months because they aren't good enough in the eyes of it's creators or it's communities.

A common misconception has been routed deep and long before something we call the AE.

Yes I am talking about the Farmers vs The Community.

This war I speak of is a daunting experience. A means to force them away.

Bringing up the topic evokes the Creators wrath and often filled with painful shouts in both in game and forums alike.

The very second a player say they farm are immediately put down. Hunted down like a sheep to the slaughter.

And I say war because of how we are being forced into silence. Our buildings destroyed by the very people we have invested in *donated*.

Our experience and our economy repeatedly attacked.  *xp/influence*

We are humans behind a computer just like the rest of the community. We spend just as many hours clicking away, defeating foes working on our builds and many of us myself included do the content. Join task forces and badge collect.

I'm not saying every farmer follows the rules and those individuals should be the ones who get the sentence. But the rest are just playing the game their way. How they enjoy it. And how they feel is right for their needs, their individual play styles.

So why does the community want to punish players for how they enjoy their time.

Respect those who want to enjoy the game their way Please.

Life has enough Problems. Why add more to the pot online.

This war needs to stop. Enough is enough.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

How dare you suggest that a group of people on the internet should stop pounding a dusty reddish brown spot on the ground that used to be a dead horse before it was beaten into mush, then to a liquid that, with additional beating, soaked into the ground and dried up? It goes contrary to the established norms of the intarwebs....   😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

50 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Cough.  The farmers are the community.   Cough

"Smoke inhalation from too much fire farming," diagnosed Doctor Fortune, whose doctorate was definitely not in medicine. 

• Haha 2
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

Gasoline!

YARN | Naked force has resolved more issues... | Starship Troopers (1997) |  Video clips by quotes | 3ef4da72 | 紗

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

I've... sort of embraced being The Root of All Evil?

I've made peace with the idea of being thought of as a completely OMGBADWRONGPLAYER.

I mean, between being an unapologetic farmer, a mostly solo/small-team player, someone who *isn't* wearing nostalgia-goggles for The-Way-Things-Were back in the single-digit issue days... on top of being a former SCoRE player... I've basically got something for almost everyone to hate. So I may as well just say "Yep! I'm the one who's Ruining Your Game!!!!" and roll with it.  😝

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I mean, I farm and I’ve never felt attacked for it. I think what would help is if folks stopped thinking of the CoH community as some kind of family wherein their judgement holds weight, and instead looked at it for what it is, a bunch of people on the internet doing a thing. 

• Like 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Approved.

• Haha 3

Oklahoman, Okie, Vayne Glorious, Sooner Magic, Treehugging Wacko, Boy Band, etc

Farming Incarnate Salvage - 1 salvage roll every 15 minutes!  ||  Why NO TELLS to join your little MSR thing?

Using DEMORECORD To Find Who Is Sabotaging Lambda Badge Runs  ||  https://www.twitch.tv/oklahomancoh

Excelsior Bases: The Sooner State (OK-8602), Atlas Records (ROCK-29730), Generic Heroes (G-16581), Sooner Nation (SOONER-8490)

I don't have a problem with farmers.  They are friendly, they offer free rides to higher levels, which helps generate influence, and stocks the AH with recipes and salvage.  They are, in my opinion, generally very helpful and outgoing and generous in a very specific way.

However.

Unfortunately, that generosity, in my opinion, has reared an unintended crop alongside the goodwill, influence, and inventory, due to new players (not toons, players) being encouraged (by whatever means, some well-intentioned, some not) to solely farm, usually doorsitting, from 1-50, and not learning how to play in any other way (note: i clearly said any other way, with no judgment of right or wrong).  Players who don't know how to travel to different zones.  Players who flat out don't know how to play the game because all they have done is doorsit a farm.

Is this everyone?  No.

Is this even the majority?  Also no.

But it happens enough, and has derailed enough task forces and teams for me that even a no good pug-with-anyone filthy casual like me is aware of it and bothered by it.

Tldr: farmers good, some of their products (uneducated players) bad.

• Like 2

Eh, mixed feelings here. First, disagreements or different opinions are going to happen. Normal, to be expected in fact. But the "how" those conversations take place can vary. In game, for the most part its been cordial. I can only think of a few conversations in the in game channels that I would describe as hostile or too aggressive. It's happened, but I would call those rare. (For comparison, I've found more purples than the number of those kinds of conversations I have personally witnessed.) In Discord, it has also been largely cordial. Though there are mods present to help manage things there. People can be outspoken there, but even there I wouldn't call it aggressive or hostile discourse. I would call it passionate debate.

The most hostile conversations I have seen, have been here on the forums. And I am not too proud to admit that I have been a part of them myself and even guilty of some of that aggression. I think a part of that though is that communication here is quite imperfect, as you only have text to go on, not tone of voice, body language, and other cues. So here on the forums unless someone says "I respectfully disagree" or "I see it another way" it is quite easy to assume they are being aggressive in their counterpoints. But that's human nature I suppose. Unless you are Snarky. We all know he isn't human anymore. 😋

But even here on the forums, I see more good than bad. Even with the levels of raised voices and heated debates here, we are still far better off than some other game communities I could mention where personal insults are considered the opening arguments.

So it's not all doom and gloom. Personally I try to remember that people being passionate is a good sign. People are only passionate or outspoken because they care about the game. And I am thankful for that. Even if we disagree on some matters, it is more important that the game is even here in its current state to begin with. The reality is, is that most games don't get a resurrection of any sort, so we got quite lucky in that respect.

• Thumbs Up 3

I find it highly amusing that a change to the game to manage server load and instancing more efficiently is being perceived as an act of war.

• Like 4

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

3 hours ago, MistressOhm said:

I find it highly amusing that a change to the game to manage server load and instancing more efficiently is being perceived as an act of war.

Well said

Edit: And perhaps concerning also. 

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Thumbs Up 1

The OP has a valid point.

Shocked others are masking it.

As a farmer I received so much hate that I feel scared to even speak up. But seeing this I have to.  Today I was told Farmers are no better then high school drop outs. That I should go play My little pony or mine craft cause no one wants another afk farmer hogging the bandwidth. And it went on like this for quite awhile.

My friend was also hurt by players back when AE was in Atlas they cried on discord. I don't think they logged in since.

War is a metaphor. I think. Because people don't see the pain it causes.

I believe even 1 person in the thread admitted to being part of it.

Just because a person can say it doesn't affect them, that they can defend for themselves or that they have never felt attacked for farming does not mean it isn't happening.

Good on the OP for bringing up a touchy topic.

You knew hate would follow this but you still brought it to peoples attention.

And for that I am grateful.

I think my friend will be to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh FFS. I have never seen any war is issue amongst players. I am sure it's there but it doesn't really seem significant. Seriously, do you not have anything to do? This is as about fruitful as the other thread where some yahoo suggested a player is greedy if they don't take leadership powers. How low can we go?!

• Thumbs Up 2

57 minutes ago, Aida said:

My friend was also hurt by players back when AE was in Atlas they cried on discord. I don't think they logged in since.

I in no way justify the actions of anyone when I say this, but there are tools in the game to prevent these types of actions from occurring between the ignore function and the report function if a player feels they are being harassed unduly. Use these tools. We have an opportunity to experience this game again and there's absolutely no reason to tolerate poor behavior when it is incredibly easy to exclude that player's [voice] by simply tossing them onto the global ignore list and move on. I say this regardless of whether the reason any player is spoken against is because of farming or otherwise, step away from the situation, report it if needed, and go about your gaming experience.

• Thumbs Up 3

I feel like I’m at a party and went to the restroom when some big event happened. Did I miss a bunch of hateful and angry posts or is this dude exaggerating?

• Thumbs Up 3

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

3 hours ago, Arc-Mage said:

I feel like I’m at a party and went to the restroom when some big event happened. Did I miss a bunch of hateful and angry posts or is this dude exaggerating?

we’ve been performing on the west end for the last two months when page 4 was in beta

cmon everyone, time to perform the Pro vs Anti Nerf Show, start warming up for your roles

i’ll say something about nerfing AE, @battlewraith will disagree, @PeregrineFalcon will then say something middle of the road

@Ukase i need you to post a long, 500 word ramble where nobody in the forum knows whether to upvote or downvote it as we can’t figure out what point you’re trying to make 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 5