Tell me about your "main"

Cheddacheese

Hi all,

I was wondering if you guys could share your stories about your main character(s)?

Why is it your main and what makes him/her so fun to play?

Personally, I love my EM/Rad/Mu brute Chedda Gold, just because the build is so damn steady and he hits like a truck!

I am curious to hear your thoughts!

-Chedda

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

My main is a DP/SR Sentinel. As long as you know the secret Sentinel konami code, she easily outdamages Blasters and Scrappers combined.

Of course, since she's a little too OP, I keep an NRG/Rad scrapper on hand for when a DP Sentinel is just plain overkill.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

My main is my namesake, an Ice Blast / Cold Domination Corruptor. I've got three builds, solo, team, and PvP. My solo build is set up for being able to solo anything that is 'soloable' (that's a word, right?). I've taken down every AV, GM, and EB in the game solo with that build, including pre- and post-nerf RV AVs. I've collected over 1,500 badges on it and ran every Hero, Villain, Praetorian, Rogue, and Vigilante story arc in the game. The team build is for MSRs, Hamis, and Incarnates content, which I rarely run anymore. Lots of solid buffs and debuffs coming from Cold Domination 🥶 👌.  Last build is for PvP, but since debuffs aren't as good as they used to be, and slows are a joke, it's not much more than an annoyance in competitive settings. 

So, the reason this character is fun to play is because of the creative costumes and back story I made for him. A cross between Raiden and Sub Zero from Mortal Kombat. The builds I mentioned are also super versatile.

When Bitter Freeze Ray, slotted with 4 damage procs is cast after Build Up and Scourge active, it is a tremendous amount of damage. Love that part!

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Mine is a Claws/SR scrapper, recreated from Live, who was just starting her Incarnate journey on HC (vet lvl 6 iirc) when the computer went belly up, Covid-19 hit, a new born arrived and replacing said computer became a much lower financial priority.  On Live she was my badger (among the top on Pinnacle for a number of issues), solo'd a big chunk of Maria Jenkins arc AVs before I decided smacking sacks of hit points wasn't my thing I knew what I needed about her capabilities.  I found diving into multi-spawn swarms of Rikti, Malta and Cimerorans more entertaining than soloing single AVs or GMs.  She was always the first to log in for any new content and spent hours exploring every nook and cranny of any zone she could reach.  No unrevealed, dark map shall remain!  (The Storm Palace is huuuuuuge when explored via older and much slower versions of Hover).  Other versions existed across many of the Live servers but the original, the main was on Pinnacle.

Edit:  Most of her backstory remains locked within my brain but is fairly represented her name,  GRETA-001. 

First prototype of the Genetically Resequeced and Engineered for Tactical Assault program.  Can't say more without sending a Cyborg or two your way for a friendly visit.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Typos and more info
  • Like 2

For like a good hot minute there I was dedicated to try and make "Miss American Pie" lyrics work for a back story on one of my characters, but that song is like crazy long and really it was just a flight of fancy and I gave up.

I tend to bounce from one focus character to the next once one hits 50+T4 Incarnates, but there are a few that have logged considerable more play time overall (I suppose) than the majority, and those would be my "Mad Kings." Link in Signature kind of explains that concept, but I am in all intents and purposes the Mad King, so it's only justified for them to be my primary focus I suppose.

Storm/Energy Defender - The Matador MK1 S
There are those who lead, and those who follow, and there there is the Matador, ahead of the herd by a mile clearing the path. She travels beyond the extent and range of the point tank not because she wants to, but because she must; the winds of change (Tornado) demand it. Triple Lightning Storm, double Tornado, Nova on 30/s tap, endurance neutral, and just plain hard to stop. She can aggro 50 Cims without breaking a sweat. Once she starts rolling it is very hard to slow her down.

RadArmor/SS Tanker - Carthage
Power. Undaunted, extreme, rage, hellbent power. Double stack Rage, Meltdown used for its damage bonus, triple pack procs, 5/s cooldown on KO Blow, able to take down an even-con AV in >3 minutes and +4 Nictus-backed Rommy in 9 with zero support or inspirations. Hard capped resistances, and just doesn't die. He is the epitome of everything that is broken about Rage. Once he was complete I used to run near-nightly Tinpex's with him for several months because I could clear both together in 25 minutes on my own, so having others tag along just meant smoother finishes (and sometimes shorter).
  • Like 2

*points at his avatar*

Way back when i first started playing,  I wasn't too enthused. I had tried an empathy defender, and I think a katana/dark scrapper, and neither of them impressed me too much.

But one day I join a team, and I keep seeing dudes getting THROWN INTO THE AIR and I'm like "woah, what powerset is that?!" and the person said "Mind Control!" and I was all "oh damn, I gots to roll me one of those!"

And so I did.

What got me hooked is that I didn't have a backstory for her at first. I knew she was psychic, so I made sure her name, Patty-Sue Ivanova, accronym'd to "PSI" because I'm effin' clever like that =P

So I decided that SHE didn't know her backstory either, just her name. And as I played through the game, I carefully read all the mission text and clues to see which character or enemy group she would most likely be tied to.

The Skulls, Hellions or CoT? Nah, she wasn't magical. Outcasts? They were mutants (what I had put her origin as), but they were all elementalists, not, er, mentalists. Council? They had some good tech, buuut they seemed too focused on turning people into werewolves and vampires, not making them psychic.

Just as I started to doubt I'd be able to tie PSI's origins to anything in the game, I started running the Crey arcs. And HO-LE crapoli, it all fell together! Brainwashing? Cloning supers? Their BOSS was a pale-skinned, dark-haired woman with Psychic powers?!?!

It was PERFECT! i "discovered" that it would totally fit that PSI could be, not just another Crey project, but a clone of the countess herself! Like a body-double, in case anything ever happened to CC herself, and she needed a new body to put her mind into (like what Prof X wound up doing in both the comics and the movies, to a degree).

I never quite figured out how Crey would have let this project slip through their fingers (it mostly revolves around the body double gaining sentience and murdering her way out of the lab), but I've gotten some good mileage out of the concept. And so even though she isn't my most fun or powerful character (devs plz buff MC k thnx), she still remains my favorite!

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 4

Main? What the hell is a main? 🤣 I have severe altitis. The closest thing I have to a "main" is probably my Demons/Storm/Fire MM. I bring her out when I want to make enemies flop around helplessly while being pelted by my various storm powers and demons. She's also one of the few characters who has a relatively developed backstory (mostly in my head, but still), and whose costumes are a progression of that story.

I think, though, that one of my most fun characters is my human-only warshade. I just recently got her to 50, and every time I play her I'm reminded just how much fun she is. I never got into Kheld's in live, and it was a struggle for a little even here on HC, but once I got something to click, it just became amazingly fun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but didn't we have one of these threads not too long ago?  🙂

So far I don't have "main" I keep character hopping, usually once they hit 50.  My two closest so far I guess would be a Bots/Emp MM and a Stalker who just can't stop Teleporting (see the stalker forums for my "bamf melee" stalker), in that I haven't gotten sick of them yet.  OTOH, they are also less than a year old, and some toons I might have named last year haven't done much as of late, so...  *shrug*?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I got tired of the bureaucracy in Hell and needed a vacation. Heard about this place called Paragon City where a buncha supers were running amok. Sounded like a good idea. Crafted myself a new body, gave it some groovy claws and a knack for avoiding damage and went to town. Been tearin through the baddies (and goodies) ever since. What's to say? I enjoy flipping out and killing things while painting rooms with their blood and entrails. The name seemed close enough to my real one and American enough to fit in.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

A main? Oh Lordy. My "main" just happens to be who I enjoy playing the most at the moment.

I guess if I had to talk about which toon of mine probably has the most cumulative playtime, it would probably be my Fire/MA Tank, Spicy Red Pepper. She is just a masterpiece of a concept (unbiased opinion, btw), and is fun taking on any content. Some she excels at, some takes a bit of strategizing.

The toon I've been playing the most lately is Commander Crumpets, a Rad/SS Tank. Not a super complicated concept. I just wanted to make a tiny girl in badass power armor. Truly a pillar of destruction. There isn't anything I haven't seen her melt in quick order. Lots of fun.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

9 hours ago, Lines said:

My main is a DP/SR Sentinel. As long as you know the secret Sentinel konami code, she easily outdamages Blasters and Scrappers combined.

Of course, since she's a little too OP, I keep an NRG/Rad scrapper on hand for when a DP Sentinel is just plain overkill.

Ooh you just sparked my interest! Can you tell me more about this so called ‘sentinel Konami code’? Outdamaging blasters sounds like a challange 😄

I have a pile of characters, not a "main" so much.  And while there'll sometimes be something I enjoy mechanically, generally what keeps me going with them would be whatever stories are going on with them in RP.

• Thumbs Up 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

My main is my tank Phrendon Largo which I have recreated on 4 of the 5 servers, but with different powerset combinations. I play on Excelsior mostly with my Fire Armor/Savage Melee version.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

5 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but didn't we have one of these threads not too long ago?  🙂

We sure did.:-)  But…

KR Devil is probably still my main. AR/TA blaster does a bit of everything. No travel power outside run, run, run and devices. The Devil is linked to the Row’s Juan Jimenez (and MAY even be JJ, himself). He’s a 50 with sets and all that proc stuff (mainly everything is KB to KD).

As for what I’ve been running lately, rolled up a TA/Archery DEF because it seemed like DEFS were back. Mikayla Jenkins got a bit of training from Lt. Chelman (thanks to Manti) and is out there doin’ her thang (though grandma doesn’t like it much). She’s closing in on L30.

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

All my guys are mains, at least until they hit 50 and are semi-retired as new mains arise. I seem to favor tankers, though, as I have more of them at 50 than any other AT. Currently running through my SG's cycle of TFs with a stone/stone Stalker, Spacecat Rocky, first one of those I've got to 50. Probably won't go far into the Incarnate stuff with her, though. My most 'incarnately advanced' character is Polecat Plum Ink Man (see avatar). Electric/Martial/Electric blaster. Living proof that Tub Ci has a sense of humor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As much as I like to test different powersets and combinations, my 'main' characters all come from superhero tabletop games I've played in the past. If any of you are familiar with Champions, you know what I'm talking about.

My first character ever was a SS/Invul Brute named Total Violence. CoH was my first MMO ever so I wanted something simple. Now, he has a lengthy backstory including some fanfiction.

I like Masterminds and I also like a humorous backstory, so I have several including Centurion Commander, a Bot/Time MM who is short because Central Processing was trying to design a unit to scout the Earth for future invasion and they mistook their units of measurement. He still complains about it in his weekly reports. Then there's Viper Commander, named after a certain snake-themed head of an unnamed snake-themed villain organization. He and his Mercenaries are determined to take over Paragon City...and sign copies of his book. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Cheddacheese said:

Ooh you just sparked my interest! Can you tell me more about this so called ‘sentinel Konami code’? Outdamaging blasters sounds like a challange 😄

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, admit you're a fraud, start.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Im finding my Fire^3 to be m fave so far. I have a strong fear I’ll be kicked from a team, seeing as there’s been times when I’ve out damaged the entire team( a seeming regular for Fire blasters I know, but still). 

Next is my Stj/SR stalker. Very crunchy, very much a risk v-reward style build

*Several other 50’s alternate between main on both this and my alt account

Edited by Seed22
  • Thumbs Up 2

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

My main is Snarky, looking remarkably like my forum icon (as close as I can get)    

Snarky is undead.  Bereft of hope, but having (what he believes) is a good sense of humor about it. Now I originally wrote him as a vampire, and have written his backstory that way.  I am now trying to devise a backstory that is focused on him being a Lich.  There are a number of reasons for that (many due to his unkillability) including a plot point in a short story I am working out (slowly) as I write it.

In game I just love Brutes.  A friend says I play like a cat looking for shiny objects.  I would go so far as to say a cat on catnip not really looking for anything except stimulation.  That is why I enjoy low level PUG TFs.  Just a rollicking mess half the time.  

Character wise I gravitate to the concept due to the infinite questions about life and the unavoidability of death.  The morality blends beautifully in CoX where Villains or Rogues are playable.  After all, we are going out to kill (arrest?  really?) people and confiscate (we steal off their dead bodies, cough) their stuff.  Taking their life force to defeat them and make yourself stronger just dovetails so well with this.  I gravitate to a Dark/Invul Brute.  I have run him as a Dark/Dark as well.  (arguably meaner and tougher, esp in modern late game) 

Snarky bumbles through the world looking for humor and the opportunity to share his wisdom about ....erm anything really.  For that is life after all, interaction, conversation, transactions, until fate deals you that last card,

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 4

My main is a Claws/WP Scrapper, a Time/Rad Defender, a Thugs/Traps Mastermind, an Energy/Bio Sentinel, a Street Justice/Invuln Brute, a Dark/Dark Dominator, and more, whose true in-character "super power" is that all rumors about him become true.  So that gives me a whole stable of alts named "Lazarillo" (or vaguely equivalent names) that represent different beliefs about them.

Because my own real life super power is altitis.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm altophilic, but my main main is still my namesake, Doctor Ditko:

Once a powerful and arrogant magician, he overreached himself and suffered a sorcerous backlash that left him unable to access the higher magics. In despair and wandering, he was taken in by a kindly relativistic physicist who taught him the ways of his field. Now, having achieved his own advanced degree, he uses his knowledge of both science and sorcery to make the world a better place. (Affectionate parody dedicated with love to Steve and Stan, who made MY world a better place.) First Appearance: Classic Issue 6 (2007-10-31) NB: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)