How many people play multiple servers?

MHertz

Do you actively play on multiple servers?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actively play on multiple servers?

• Yes, all the time
    • Yes, fairly often
    • Yes, on occasion
    • No, never
    • There are other servers?

I moved all my toons from Torchbearer to Excelsior in 2020 and never looked back. I have thought about putting one on Everlasting to check out, I hear the villain pop is higher, but otherwise I like sticking to the one server. It keeps things easier. If you meant things like Thunderspy, then still no - my only account is with Homecoming because its where the people are.

45 minutes ago, Astralock said:

Different servers, or different shards?  There is a difference.

I'm going to assume "shards" was the intent.

Personally, I started on Excelsior and once friends started joining the game several months late and informed me they all pretty much dedicated their time to Torchbearer, I spent a good portion of my time moving characters over there and was solidly entrenched by middle of 2020.  I left several characters behind on Excelsior because I their names (as well as what I'd consider as acceptable replacements) were already taken on Torch.  By late 2021, my friends' interest had started to wane and they moved on to other things, and it seemed like the general population had shifted to Excelsior and so I started moving my characters back.  Surprisingly, I was able to retain most of my names.  (Yay!)  I lost a few, one or two because I foolishly gave them away by suggesting them to others thinking I'd not be back.  Damn my lack of foresight!  Of course, I've left a number of characters behind on Torch, mostly newer creations, because of the name availability issue...  but if the population shifts again, I can always start playing with them while considering which (if any) to move again.  Not sure I'll commit to any major roster moves again.

For reference, at one point I had as many as 500 characters on Torch and eventually trimmed that back to 300.

I currently have a roster of about 300 on Excelsior.

Point is, I have more than enough characters that I can play on either shard, but I generally maintain a focus on just one at a time.  Mostly because if I'm playing and want to jump into something else because I saw an open invite in the LFG channel or hear about costume contests or other goings on in General channel, it's all about the shard I'm currently in.  The other shards are alternate realities to me, and one reality at a time is enough for my limited attention span.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mostly been on Excelsior from 2019, but a couple friends came to the game, and had mutual friends on Everlasting and Reunion.

RL came up for them, but I still play a lot on Everlasting.  The one char left on Reunion will probably get the axe soon.

(Been on a reducing number of alts lately, but it's a slow burn)

When I first found out about HC, I wasn't sure how many people were still playing a dead niche MMO, so I joined the only shard with a yellow population on a late Sunday night. I still play 100% on Excelsior because I made some friends that I still play with from time to time. Outside of that interaction I hardly ever step inside a team, so I have never felt the need to try other ones. Plus, I get to people watch through General.

• Like 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

It's easier to pool my resources across my characters if they're all on the same server shard.  Personal SG base, salvage, etc. 

Also, I tend to solo, so I don't have a large draw to other servers. 

I did once look at potentially mass transferring my characters from Excelsior to Everlasting. But a full third of my characters would have to have been renamed, and some of those were complete deal-breakers for me. 

Edited by MTeague
  • Thumbs Up 1

Like others, I'm guessing you meant 'shards'.  I only play on Homecoming, but I have Ironblade at level 50 on every shard.  I have four characters on Excelsior that I play in regularly scheduled teams and the rest of my characters are on Everlasting.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I started on Reunion and stayed there up until recently.

I tried Everlasting for SG and RP, but the wifi gods would not allow me with my third world internet to enjoy the game without lag every 2 steps. So I left. 

Reunion started lagging for me (I blame Putin and his BS in Europe). So I moved some of my active toons to Torch.

Then Page 4 and the name-flagging started, I reviewed my toons which I wanted to keep and which I didn't mind losing. I ended up grouping my ATs to either Torch or Reunion. When Torch is slow, I play in Reunion and vice versa.

There was a time both Torch and Reunion were slow. So I set up camp in Indom. Indom's low population works for me since I solo 95% of the time.

So nowadays, I go where the wifi gods let me. I have 50 toons on Reunion, 55 on Torch and 10 in Indom.

I have characters here (mainly on Everlasting because I happened to be watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when the server went up having previously migrated from Torchbearer and Bria, etc.), I also have accounts on rebirth, and thunderspy as I wanted to check out their work. I also have my own private server as well that I've tinkered with my own changes every once in awhile.

The only server I don't play on is Reunion. 
Have a base on each. Nothing fancy, just functional. 

I really should raid the coffers on Torch and sell that stuff, as I barely ever go there anymore since they banned @tort . (he was the lead of Veracity SG - I somehow was in the right place at the right time and got on the first league to get RHW. At least, that was our understanding.) 

When I play, each server seems the same. I see folks asking for a seat on  a farm, I see folks advertising for Adamastor or a sLam or a weekly. But, the recruiting is less frequent on servers that aren't excelsior - at least, that's what I notice. 

It still takes entirely too long to form a 3 team league for incarnate trials, but when I think about it on Liberty, it took too long then, too. So many folks are trying to squeeze in playtime and find themselves taking a few minutes longer than they thought, and everyone else has to wait a bit. If we didn't get vet level rewards, I think I'd just not bother with incarnate play at all. 

I don't think it would matter how populated a server is. There's more than enough people to do content - they thing is - they have to want to do the content. Poor Indom has about 15 players (last I was there) that want to do a hami raid. Obviously, they want more. It's well run, and attendance suffers - first because not everyone wants to do a hami raid, and secondly because, of those that could be talked into it - they don't want to wait 40 minutes. It kind of removes the motivation for most folks. 

It's not just a population problem, it's a content problem. Make more content - people will still want to do different things. The only solution is an influx of another 100 - 200 players or so, across all time zones for all the servers, and of those players, they should be trying to team, rather than solo or farm solo. That's the only way I see to satisfy the cries of "merge shards" that I see. That brings with it different problems, of course. There's always going to be trade-offs. Christmas is coming. Give the free gift of CoH to people you know with a lot of free time. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Greycat said:

I *have* alts on other servers, but I go to them somewhat rarely.

☝️  This.

I don't play as much anymore, though I should.  Back on Legacy I routinely played on 3 servers, Protector, Justice and Champion.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I didn't discover HC until early 2020 and thought "Reunion" was appropriate...until I found out it was (even back then) the lowest pop shard.  Moved most to Excelsior, but still have toons on all shards.  Some of the sig list have moved around, mostly due to Tanker Tuesdays and chasing WSTs.

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

I have characters primarily on Everlasting and a few on Excelsior.  Both because when I found HC in late 2019 that was where the 2 major SGs I was in on Live had been started on those servers.  Then the computer died early 2020) and I've been on a enforced hiatus for almost 3 years.  Back *soon* ...  new computer is finally become a thing but not arrived yet.  Unsure what's been going on with SG friends on Excelsior and therefore whether any migration might occur as a result.

1 hour ago, MrAxe said:

I don't see a point in playing on multiple.

While I don't *think* it's happened here, I remember Live having issues with one or two (or several) shards. Always seemed to have this conversation:

"When is (server) going to be back? I want to play!" (sometimes adding the "what am I paying for?!")

"Why not roll an alt on one of the servers that's up? They say it'll be down for a while, at least that way you'd get to play."

"All my characters are on (down server!) Why should I play somewhere else?"

"... because that server's down and the others aren't?"

Like I said, I don't *think* it's happened here, but it's one of the reasons I tend to go for server diversity. 🙂

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

While I don't *think* it's happened here, I remember Live having issues with one or two (or several) shards. Always seemed to have this conversation:

I remember that a few times on live there were routing issues that affected the NA servers but not the EU, or vice versa.

(Your .sig makes me chuckle every single time I see it.)

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

4 hours ago, Greycat said:

"When is (server) going to be back? I want to play!" (sometimes adding the "what am I paying for?!")

"Why not roll an alt on one of the servers that's up? They say it'll be down for a while, at least that way you'd get to play."

"All my characters are on (down server!) Why should I play somewhere else?"

"... because that server's down and the others aren't?"

Like I said, I don't *think* it's happened here, but it's one of the reasons I tend to go for server diversity. 🙂

On live we also had much fewer slots, so there I did have a presence on each server.  Here, not an issue (well, I guess someone might have that much altitis)

On 11/16/2022 at 5:15 PM, JasperStone said:

When I first logged in again everything was yellow... I picked the one at the top

Indom

I have since moved mostly to Excelsior

I worked too hard on my base on Indom to just abandon it.

I too started on Indom, and now just have one left to maintain the base. Moved the rest to Everlasting, Excelsior or Torch.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty