What Combat Attributes do you monitor?

30 minutes ago, Grouchybeast said:

I'm intrigued by how many people monitor Inf.  I never would've thought of that one being popular.

Eh, it's mostly "useful at low levels, forgotten at higher" for me, since if I need to pick something up I don't want to go to the auction house or whatnot. Or if I suddenly can't craft any more, though that's also shown in the interface.

Edited by Greycat
  • Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

For me, I mainly use the monitoring to see if I am being debuffed (or if I need to consider popping a yellow to hit a target), so:

Max HP (when tanking Market Crash - that giant bot drains HP like a vampire!)

Regeneration Rate (on anything tanky)

Recovery Rate

Endurance Consumption

To Hit Bonus

Last Hit Chance

Damage Bonus (on SS or Brutes)

Stealth Radius (PvE) - (on anything non-tanky)

Recharge Time Bonus

Defense (most relevant to the character)

Resistance (most relevant to the character)

Only being able to monitor 8 at a time makes for some tough choices.

I will say that the combat monitor has made me appreciate just how many enemies debuff - particularly Regeneration Rate.  It seems that if an enemy can debuff Regen at all, they can usually floor it.

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

26 minutes ago, Mister Mass said:

Only being able to monitor 8 at a time makes for some tough choices.

Thought it was 10. In any event, more would be gooder. Maybe a dev request?

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

13 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

I'm intrigued by how many people monitor Inf.  I never would've thought of that one being popular.

I think it's mostly because it's annoying to look up by normal means.  

• Like 3

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Damage Bonus - Useful for rage crash, but also to see if at damage cap.

Base Defense - This let's me see if there are any -def debuffs on me (this is the number they change), also useful for rage crash.

Smashing Defense - Lets me see both smashing & lethal defense. Any character of mine with capped ranged defense also has these capped. So no point monitoring that.

Energy Defense - Lets me see both Energy and Negative Energy defense. I also build so that fire/cold are the same.

Smashing Resist- Lets me see both smashing & lethal resist.

Energy Resist- Lets me see Energy and Negative Energy resist. I also build so that fire/cold/psi are the same.

Recovery - Lets me see if -recov debuffs are on me. Also lets me know if I need to click the blaster sustain power.

Influence - Easiest place to monitor it.

Edited by Xanatos

City of Heroes Class of 2001.

I always monitor:

Regen Rate

Recovery Rate

ToHit Chance

Damage Buff

Recharge Time

Depending on build (res vs def, for example):

1 paired resistance (S/L F/C, etc.)

Melee def

Ranged def

AOE def

1 other paired resistance

For typed defense characters I monitor one paired defense (s/l, etc) of each pair and a resistance to see if I've been debuffed.  For resistance characters I monitor one from each pair and then one of the vector defenses for similar reasons.

On 7/29/2020 at 10:23 AM, Coyote said:

Positional Defense, Damage bonus, Recharge bonus are the ones I generally monitor. Probably also Smashing (or Lethal) Resistance, and characters with typed defenses will monitor Smash/Energy/Fire rather than Melee/Range/AoE.

This more or less & last hit chance 

Edited by Chance Jackson

On 7/29/2020 at 9:46 PM, DoctorDitko said:

Thought it was 10. In any event, more would be gooder. Maybe a dev request?

Just checked in game.  It is 10.  I don't know why I thought it was 8.  The character I was checking on already had 9 monitored so... 🙄

• Like 1

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

Doesn't matter, there are always N - 1, where N is the number you want!

• Haha 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On my tanks. I'll monitor either resists or defenses (or both on invuln and willpower).

On a character I routinely use for stealthing missions, I'll monitor PvE Stealth Radius.

For the Underground iTrial, I'll monitor Confuse Protection.

On Ironblade, I monitor Melee Defense because I enjoy seeing how much I can stack from Parry.

That's about it.  Many characters don't monitor anything.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Can someone please explain the difference between Last Hit Chance and ToHit Bonus? I understand (barely!) that the two values represent different information, but I don't know enough to form an opinion on which of them is more useful for me to have in the Attributes Monitoring box.

T.I.A.  :)

Unless there's something AT or powerset specific my general layout is:

Regen

Recovery

End Consumption

To Hit

Last Hit Chance

Damage

Recharge

Defense (whichever has highest importance, mostly to check for debuffs)

Resistance (usually S or L, mostly to check for debuffs)

Last slot I'll fill with whatever strikes me as important at the time.

On 8/4/2020 at 11:14 AM, gamingglen said:

Based on forum posts and chat messages I think I'm in a tiny minority of why people play. 

I dunno about this. I think there just happens to be a correlation between people who like to get under the hood of the game and people who want to chat about the game.

• Like 1

For me, all of my toons monitor;

-Regen Rate

-Recovery Rate

-Endurance Consumption

-Last Hit-Chance

-Inf

Depending on the toon I will also montor;

-Current Hit Points (if the toon regularly rides that edge... regen rate and the basic bar are usually enough)

-PVE Stealth Radius (if the toon has stealth)

-Hold Protection (if mez protection isn't steady state; ex. a clicky or Blasters with the stacking ATO proc)

-Damage Bonus (if the toon has a non-permanent means of buffing it)

-A relevant defense bonus (if the toon is defense focused and has elements that will cause it to vary)