Delight and Disappointment

ToonHawk

Hello,

This is my first post since joining the forum last night. I can't tell you how excited I was when a friend of mine let me know that there was a community-run server for City of Heroes, a game I absolutely loved and played a ton of in my younger years. I completed the download last night and jumped right into character creation. That is when Disappointment punched me in the face.

Completed an Ice Blaster only to find that every derivation of icy, cold, frigid, arctic name you can think of is already taken. I am literally on naming attempt 30 or 40 now... Wish me luck trying to successfully achieve my own homecoming.

~Chad

Ice powers are popular, what can we say? I suggest hitting the good ole trusty thesaurus anytime I want names that are taken. A quick search for the term you want will suggest alternatives.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Good luck with the name! I'm terrible with coming up with names, so I'll let others take care of that in this thread.

There are a couple of name release threads in the respective server sections, if you wanted to try your luck there...

Zero Kelvin

Iced Teabag

Hard Water

Mark

• Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

20 minutes ago, ToonHawk said:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I changed the name of my character in his backstory. Let me introduce...

Cryonick!!!

Cheers!

Nice!  I like that one!  You could make one of your costumes a Santa costume.  😉

Edited by Sura

Yeah the name thing is always a challenge. I think I may have given up on actual hero names. I seem to settle upon things like Hero Named Ted and New Cool. 

While we are here if there is someone on Excelsior with the name Pulse or Pulsar I would gleefully give you a billion influence for it.

• Haha 1

Pretty sure I nearly broke a keyboard once in frustration not getting any of the names I wanted for one alt... even worse was when I got a couple of names of old toons from back in the day for a server on HC only to find it had already been taken on another when I wanted to build an alternate version of that character...

The naming struggle is real

Freaking Brisk

Our cross country coach in high school, no matter how low the temperature got, never admitted it was ever cold.  The closest would be that he would remark that it was "a little brisk outside".  Our response was always: "Yeah!  Freaking brisk!" 😬

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

3 hours ago, Sakai said:

While we are here if there is someone on Excelsior with the name...Pulsar I would gleefully give you a billion influence for it.

LOL That would be me. 😎 It is a remake of one of my original toons from Live (formerly a Rad/Rad Defender, now a Rad/Sonic Defender). Don't think I'd ever sell the name, but it was so random to see someone post about the name I felt I owed you a response.

For the record, names get me too. I will not create a toon until I get a good name to go with the concept. The struggle is real.

And here I am with characters named things like "Operative Cunajas" and "Magical Consultant Stu."

That struggle of trying to find a name is so foreign to me.  Hell, I even got names like "Pure Evil" and "Fear Incarnate" months after launch (the latter of which I gave away to someone who said they'd take good care of the name, but hasn't even surpassed level 10 yet . . . *squints toward that individual*).

5 hours ago, Bopper said:

Hard Water

👍

5 hours ago, Bopper said:

Iced Teabag

👀

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Title additions are your friends.  

I tried to port my #1 guy over to Excelsior only to find ever other server had a "Ray Gunn", the name I used in the original game.  Funny, I play all the servers and I've never seen another with that name.  Anywho, I actually deepened his backstory slightly by designating him CMDR (old abbreviation for Commander), and I've been off and running ever since.

Now thinking of doing it for another of my characters I intend to port.  Don't forget the professional titles too.  Anyone got dibs on Senator Foghorn for a sonic?

5 hours ago, Snarky said:

Was in Fort Darwin years back. Was laughing because my friend walked by and pointed out two names in the Fort. “Flamesy” and “Thiswillwork”. 

welcome back!

See... now I'm thinking about rolling up a plant character and naming them "Thistlework".

• Like 3

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Cold Snap - wait... I might want to use that one if it is available.  Pretty sure it isn't.

I was shocked that "Random Violence" was available just a few weeks ago.  Wanted to make a new Villain Scrapper and wanted to use that name... it was available.  I was seriously surprised.

Other names that aren't available and I was surprised were Gamma Man and Gamma Girl.  They weren't available.  Neither is Dark Gamma.  I use Gamma in the names of most of my characters seeing as they are the "Gamma" family.  Did that back when, do it now, at least in this game.