Should One Person be allowed to control AH prices?

Which person?  What items?  Going to need proof of that happening.  That said, blame for any inflation/price gouging/insane pricing will inevitably be laid at the feet of farmers, and not the people who gleefully toot about generating billions of inf in no time flat simply by playing the market.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

yes, though unlikely. markets require buyers and sellers.

with convertors folks can get what they want relatively easily.

• Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Is it I?  I'm probably the most likely culprit, but artificially setting prices really isn't in my wheelhouse.  I was smart enough early on in HC to realize that you cannot keep supply from entering the market thanks to seeding, converters, etc., and it's way too expensive to buy everyone else's supply and resell or delete it.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

Is this an anti- seeding/bucketing post? 

Asking for a friend...

• Haha 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

1 hour ago, roleki said:

people who gleefully toot about generating billions of inf in no time flat simply by playing the market.

Playing the market does not generate inf. Playing the market trades existing inf between characters, and in the process destroys a portion of that inf via fees. Defeating enemies, completing missions, and otherwise playing game content generates inf.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Witchcaster said:

"Should One Person be allowed to control AH prices?"

Because they do.

If you think that is what is happening share with us what you item(s) you think are being controlled and people will immediately jump in to correct the outlier or demonstrate you are likely mistaken.

If you are noticing something going for an absurdly high price, for example the Miracle unique, it could also be the result of a long standing display bug in the AH last 5 screen.

• Like 3

• Ouroboros
Just now, Ashington said:

The Rumors that Nemesis is manipulating the Auction house are completely and utterly false!

Ahh, yes. There's no possible way Nemesis could be THAT clever...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Mender Silos

Leader of Ouroboros

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

1 hour ago, roleki said:

That said, blame for any inflation/price gouging/insane pricing will inevitably be laid at the feet of farmers, and not the people who gleefully toot about generating billions of inf in no time flat simply by playing the market.

Oh, that is certainly I.  Toot freaking toot!

• Like 2

Who run Bartertown?

2 hours ago, Witchcaster said:

Because they do.

I'm sorry.... But...

Is everyone ready for it...

That's not how economics works.

But on the seriouslies, no one person can. Well except @Jimmy.

And Nemesis.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Witchcaster said:

Because they do.

Most of the auction houses I walk into have at least 3 NPCs controlling the prices ...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Control the market? No. Play the market? Yes.

Since the AH came into being on live I've probably made myself around 15-20 billion doing essentially day trading.

On HC, I've scaled back as the prices for IOs are significantly lower than they were on live, to probably only have made around 3-5 billion influence.

I willing to entertain claims that they're an actual problem, but there needs more documentation than a "Because they do" assertation.

Details. 

• What exactly were you wanting to buy?
  • What led you to conclude that one individual controlled the price.
  • Even naming no names, do you have a specific individual in mind?  If not, how can you say it's one person controlling the price.

3 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

Of course its a nemesis plot. I thought you knew?

No, no. This is a Nemesis plot.

angryband.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 6/30/2020 at 4:24 PM, AboveTheChemist said:

Playing the market does not generate inf. Playing the market trades existing inf between characters, and in the process destroys a portion of that inf via fees. Defeating enemies, completing missions, and otherwise playing game content generates inf.

This one has to be shown again for emphasis.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Like anyone can control the market when a fix price cap is applied to everything due to reward merit vendor. not to mention being about to convert to attuned, or choose the level you want for the io etc. Homecoming has effectively put so many changes and artificial items on the market no one is going to truly be able to control it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later
On 7/1/2020 at 9:14 PM, Noyjitat said:

Like anyone can control the market when a fix price cap is applied to everything due to reward merit vendor. not to mention being about to convert to attuned, or choose the level you want for the io etc. Homecoming has effectively put so many changes and artificial items on the market no one is going to truly be able to control it.

Even in the Old Days, you could nudge a market but not control it outside a certain point.  There was a point around 2010-2011 where I resolved to crash the Alchemical Silver market as a protest to its ridiculously high price (50K-65K per unit).  I build up a huge amount of the stuff by flipping it.  For a while the prices I set for buy and sell seemed to be the upper and lower limits for A. Silver.  Then prices started to drift and I could not hold back the tide.  so did I ever have control or was it just the illusion of control?

As an aside, I sold all that A. silver in a few hours one weekend, but I couldn't drive the price below 10,000 per unit.  And I sold on the order of 7500 units heroside and another 5000 units villainside (the markets were not unified at the time).  I figure the reason was old bids on the market from dead accounts.  Coh deleted items on the market after the account was inactive for 90 days but they apparently never deleted pending transactions so these dead accounts continued to buy.  These old bids were acting as a price support keeping the market from swinging downward.

• Like 2

Just to clarify, I could place an Alchemical Silver on the market, and Vorlonagent could buy it as a Temporal Analyzer... The merging of same rarity items has made market exploitation/manipulation much more difficult (and also made a lot of things much smoother). The same can be said about separating level from the IO equation. Does anyone remember trying to move lvl 49 IOs before attunement/level boosters?

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation