General Feedback: Issue 27, Page 3

• City Council
27 minutes ago, Blackfeather said:

I have! But I don't recall things changing - I was a little occupied with surviving at the time. 😅

Out of memory:
- Portal on the boat loses the blue FX and gets sparks as the fight with Zoe progresses.

- Portal on top of Golden Roller loses the blue FX as the fight progresses.

- Giant ice wall in front of the Vanguard portal disappears after defeating Glacia and Infernia.

- Faraway Mount Diable and all security cameras disappear after talking to Professor Echo.

- WSPR antennas and sign disappear after planting Aeon's scanner there.

- 22nd National Bank's facade disappears after planting Aeon's scanner there.

- Planters and the whole back of the Dark Gallery disappears after planting Aeon's scanner there.

- All trees in the zone disappear when Ripplesurge is at 75%.

- Gazebo disappears when Ripplesurge is at 50%.

- All streetlights in the zone disappear when Ripplesurge is at 25%.

- The blue forcefield around the zone disappears, and the zone is covered in a Doom Dome, when Ripplesurge is defeated.

- Various blue portals appear when completing objectives during the last mission.

- Trees are uprooted, rocks go up the sky and ceilings go flying as the Wavelenght Ripple Stabilizers are destroyed in the last mission.

- The cauldron that King Midas is standing on while being fought disappears after each phase of the fight.

• Like 2

• Developer
14 minutes ago, Blackfeather said:

Out of curiosity, what is meant by dynamic geometry?

The shortest explanation is that it is what happens to the map in Recluse's Victory when an area's control changes. We improved it and used it in the Dr. Aeon Strike Force to dynamically change the map in certain ways as you progress through it.

Edit: Faultline beat me to the response. 😛

• Like 4

Love this game and its community? Want to give back? Volunteer as a Game Master! Help make Homecoming the best it can be!

Writer of the Patch Notes

Red side, best side!

38 minutes ago, Faultline said:

It's either this or they keep ticking down while they're disabled, since their duration can now be extended a lot by using the self-disable powers. You can't keep them at the same price while at the same time being able to esentially toggle them off when out of combat.

Speaking as someone who nearly always levels the old fashioned way I really value the starting boost the amplifiers give you. SO's at early levels smooth things out quite a bit but I'd be very sad to see the amps go (there is no way I'm paying full price for them).

• Thumbs Up 3

46 minutes ago, Faultline said:

It's either this or they keep ticking down while they're disabled, since their duration can now be extended a lot by using the self-disable powers. You can't keep them at the same price while at the same time being able to esentially toggle them off when out of combat.

I'd very much say they just need to be kept ticking down, in that case.  Right now, they're useful as replacements to things like DfB for new characters (particularly Praetorians), and less useful to people who are already performing high level content due to the restrictive prices.  Circumstances where they're going to end up being temporarily disabled are for that high level content where they should be impractical, while the more practical use shouldn't be effectively eliminated for that.

• Thumbs Up 7

9 minutes ago, Parabola said:

Speaking as someone who nearly always levels the old fashioned way I really value the starting boost the amplifiers give you. SO's at early levels smooth things out quite a bit but I'd be very sad to see the amps go (there is no way I'm paying full price for them).

On the flip side, as someone else who levels "the old fashion way" and entirely solo, I've never purchased them a single time and have had no real issues.

Maybe I'm just too patient and willing to wait/rest every few spawns. Then again, I don't think the P2W amplifiers should even exist at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

1 hour ago, Faultline said:

Fair enough.

I would prefer that the amplifiers be reverted to their original logarithmic cost and that they be rendered immune to anything that would affect their duration.

Oh, and I don't believe that I speak for the entire player base, but someone will certainly accuse me of believing that I do. I just thought I'd save time and get my disclaimer in now.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

43 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

I'd very much say they just need to be kept ticking down, in that case.  Right now, they're useful as replacements to things like DfB for new characters (particularly Praetorians), and less useful to people who are already performing high level content due to the restrictive prices.  Circumstances where they're going to end up being temporarily disabled are for that high level content where they should be impractical, while the more practical use shouldn't be effectively eliminated for that.

Same.  Keep them ticking down then would be my vote.

As a matter of fact, the logic of this change makes no real sense as the top price is staying the same.  If they are so much better now and can last so much longer, they actually should cost a lot more than 2.5 million per hour shouldn't they?  You are literally only punishing lower level characters using them while buffing them for level 50's using them.

Maybe just double the price and keep the scaling so that it scales from 2,000 at level 1 up to 5 million per hour at 50?

Edited by Riverdusk
  • Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Fair enough.

I would prefer that the amplifiers be reverted to their original logarithmic cost and that they be rendered immune to anything that would affect their duration.

Oh, and I don't believe that I speak for the entire player base, but someone will certainly accuse me of believing that I do. I just thought I'd save time and get my disclaimer in now.

PeregrineFalcon speaks for me this time . . . BUT JUST THIS TIME!!!!

I rarely use them, but they do help smooth out some early levels before you get key powers and enough slots.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm with the others here - if it's a decision between 1) amplifier timers still run while temp powers are disabled but the cost scales by level and 2) amplifier timers do not run while temp powers are disabled but costs are fixed at 2.5m/hr for all levels, I'll stick with option 1. Amplifiers are a nice extra in the low levels when a character can barely afford enhancements - setting the cost at 2.5m/hr regardless of level eliminates that flexibility.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

1 minute ago, macskull said:

I'm with the others here - if it's a decision between 1) amplifier timers still run while temp powers are disabled but the cost scales by level and 2) amplifier timers do not run while temp powers are disabled but costs are fixed at 2.5m/hr for all levels, I'll stick with option 1. Amplifiers are a nice extra in the low levels when a character can barely afford enhancements - setting the cost at 2.5m/hr regardless of level eliminates that flexibility.

how about option 3:

amplifier cost scales with level, timers don’t run while temps are off, but

amplifiers are not available after level 25.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I don't use those amplifiers often, but when I do it's for my new lv 1's (mostly non-MM's and controllers) to help with the early levels.  That or lower the amount you can buy from 8 hours to like 4-6 hours.

Please just let them run down no matter what.  If you are using them at high levels then you have money to burn.  That or lower the amount you can buy from 8 hours to like 4-6 hours.

13 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

how about option 3:

No thanks. That effectively stops amplifiers from working as an inf sink for level 50s.

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, macskull said:

Amplifiers are a nice extra in the low levels when a character can barely afford enhancements

Who's buying low-level characters amplifiers with their own inf? If you can't afford SOs there's no way you could afford amplifiers. Did you mean when they don't have a lot of slots to put the enhancements in?

I'm biased so my opinion is thus biased. As someone who only buys amplifiers once (but who -always- buys them) and never again past level 1 I am obviously in the opinion that those initial 8 hours (that usually last me until I reach Manticore) are more important than them not dripping down at level 50... obviously because I don't use them at level 50.

Some sort of compromise would be good since levels 50 are people too though we could always argue levels 50 make a lot of money and can afford the amplifies ticking down.

But rather than diminish a level 50 annoyance at seeing their amplifiers ticking down a compromise, yes. Not sure what would be satisfactory though. But the 'worry' that someone makes a new alt, buys 8 hours, and then toggles them on and off just when doing TFs, seems a bit minor, no? It still takes someone making a new alt, leveling it for 3-5 hours, collecting accolades, slot and respec... to save buying amplifiers for 8 hours?

Dunno, I can understand the point of view, but even if it happens it's going to be a once-per-character thing. Can't imagine people making an industry out of it.

The more common worry seems to be that a character will make that large investment and then dole the use of the amplifiers to make them last. Can the amplifiers actually be paused via a command or does it take doing a TF with the 'no temp powers' option? If it takes being in TF/flashback mode with that challenge toggled on then that character will need to live 24/7 under a TF they started solo so that the amplifiers would not run down. They never again team for whatever group activity because they would leave TF mode and the amplifiers would once again start ticking down.

I'm not going to say I can't see people doing that or having a dedicated alt for the effect, but since amplifiers don't run down while logged off a dedicated alt already achieves this by logging off.

My opinion is that leaving the prices as are while keeping the new code will not impact the economy negatively.

Would it be possible to make Amplifiers something you can outlevel? That way normies and muggles can justifiably have them cheap on lowbies, but you can’t buy 8 hours worth at level 1 and wind up using 6 of those hours at 50 if you didn’t take the scenic route.

Thinking it would be too harsh for them to drop after 1 level, but maybe every multiple of 5 levels you outlevel their usefulness? Just spitballin 

Edited by arcane

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

Would it be possible to make Amplifiers something you can outlevel? That way normies and muggles can justifiably have them cheap on lowbies, but you can’t buy 8 hours worth at level 1 and wind up using 6 of those hours at 50 if you didn’t take the scenic route.

I feel like this is a solution for a non-existent problem. If you're leveling the "normal" way and buy 8 hours of amplifiers at level 1 with some inf you emailed yourself you're not getting that many levels before those 8 hours are up.

59 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

how about option 3:

Works for me, I can say I usually don't buy them again after the ones at level 1 run out...but I can see how other specialized playstyle folks might be peeved. 

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

17 minutes ago, Faultline said:

Out of memory:
- Portal on the boat loses the blue FX and gets sparks as the fight with Zoe progresses.

- Portal on top of Golden Roller loses the blue FX as the fight progresses.

- Giant ice wall in front of the Vanguard portal disappears after defeating Glacia and Infernia.

- Faraway Mount Diable and all security cameras disappear after talking to Professor Echo.

- WSPR antennas and sign disappear after planting Aeon's scanner there.

- 22nd National Bank's facade disappears after planting Aeon's scanner there.

- Planters and the whole back of the Dark Gallery disappears disappears after planting Aeon's scanner there.

- All trees in the zone disappear when Ripplesurge is at 75%.

- Gazebo disappears when Ripplesurge is at 50%.

- All streetlights in the zone disappear when Ripplesurge is at 25%.

- The blue forcefield around the zone disappears, and the zone is covered in a Doom Dome, when ripplesurge is defeated.

- Various blue portals appear when completing objectives during the last mission.

- Trees are uprooted, rocks go up the sky and ceilings go flying as the Wavelenght Ripple Stabilizers are destroyed in the last mission.

- The cauldron that King Midas is standing on while being fought disappears after each phase of the fight.

16 minutes ago, Cobalt Arachne said:

The shortest explanation is that it is what happens to the map in Recluse's Victory when an area's control changes. We improved it and used it in the Dr. Aeon Strike Force to dynamically change the map in certain ways as you progress through it.

Edit: Faultline beat me to the response. 😛

Thanks for the clarifications! That's quite neat for sure.

6 hours ago, Faultline said:

Why not either then make temps per-level range cost that you can't buy unless you're within that level range. Or, make them work like the dxp buffs where you can't disable them, but only delete them.

2 hours ago, macskull said:

No thanks. That effectively stops amplifiers from working as an inf sink for level 50s.

Exactly.  I think that most people who want amplifiers removed, or no longer available at a certain level, don't quite realize exactly how much of an INF sink they are and how much prices of everything would go up as a result.

• Like 1

The change to Sleeps gave me an idea. A possible fix for the powers Sonic Cage and Detention Field.

1. Sonic Cage and Detention Field are now Auto Hit in PvE.

2. Taking Sonic Cage or Detention Field also gives you another power (Sonic Key or Force Key) that removes the Cage or Field and can only be used on the target of your Cage or Field.

Done.

And give Black Hole the Dimension Shift treatment.

Edited by Wavicle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wavicle said:

The change to Sleeps gave me an idea. A possible fix for the powers Sonic Cage and Detention Field.

1. Sonic Cage and Detention Field are now Auto Hit in PvE.

2. Taking Sonic Cage or Detention Field also gives you another power (Sonic Key or Force Key) that removes the Cage or Field and can only be used on the target of your Cage or Field.

Done.

Has hitting with these two powers ever been a problem though? It's already the most reliable way to take an opponent out of a fight. I'd think number two alone would be sufficient, since the real problem is that it slows down groups and as a solo survival tool it's already actually pretty good.