How long does it take you to get to level 2?

Spot

Bonus question:  How much inf does it cost you?

EDIT: You're all forgetting the time it takes to pick AT, powersets, name/costume, set UI, buy P2W buffs and powers, and some might say PL to 50 before training to level 2 and all the IOs purchased.

Edited by Spot
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

As long as it takes to run to P2W, grab Sands and 2x XP, then to the phased Hellions area. A few moments later, punching grouped up punks, and Ding! 

I don't go level til 4, tho, just rotate thru using level insps to keep punching punks. It is fairly brisk; then I hit Brawler and street sweep down there til I get in a DFB.

Cost? Whatever inf I give up for the x2 booster.

Horizon Twilight, The Chernobyl Effect, XLR Mk8, Dodgeball, and a host of other alts all hanging out on Everlasting.

Depends on if I feel like doing the tutorial or not. I mostly just hit up a couple mobs and ding 2 that way. I've given up on using 2x XP boosters as I found I felt less invested in them once they got to level 50.

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

If you're talking about character creation time included... it can take all day to several days.  The concept, name, and costume all have to be something that I really like or i will never the the toon.  Sometimes a bio is included in that creation.  Sometimes, I have to do a Mids build ahead of time to see if i like the pairing of power sets - that can take hours too. 

Once the character is in game, then it's just a couple mins to see P2W vendor, fix the UI, and then running through the tutorial or running one of the initial contacts. 

3 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

If you're talking about character creation time included... it can take all day to several days.  The concept, name, and costume all have to be something that I really like or i will never the the toon.  Sometimes a bio is included in that creation.  Sometimes, I have to do a Mids build ahead of time to see if i like the pairing of power sets - that can take hours too. 

Once the character is in game, then it's just a couple mins to see P2W vendor, fix the UI, and then running through the tutorial or running one of the initial contacts. 

Yes, I feel once in game it's super quick. My first read of the thread came after the OP's edit of their post though, so I included the character creation part. I don't even bother with initial contacts until lvl 4, which is like 2 to 3 minutes after I fix the UI and grind through either Longbow or Hellions.

John Hancock

Well, I usually have a build in MIDs, or at least a rough idea of what I want before I even create a new character. At least the AT, primary and secondary selected. I usually have 1-2 costumes premade as well. Once I am in, it takes about as much time as it does to get the first mission in mercy and go get the spy and longbow.

But I do spend hours just messing around both in MIDs and the Costume creator, saving things that I may or may not ever even use. Sometimes getting a name that I like, that fits the theme, and isn't already taken proves to be the most difficult. 

2 hours ago, Spot said:

EDIT: You're all forgetting the time it takes to pick AT, powersets, name/costume, set UI, buy P2W buffs and powers, and some might say PL to 50 before training to level 2 and all the IOs purchased.

Let's see.  I believe the cost is just over 12 million inf (10M for the team transporter, 1M each for the mission TP and base TP, some jet pack charges and a bunch of free stuff).

Picking AT, powersets and name are all done before I log in, so zero time.  I don't sit down and plan to create a character.  When I randomly think of something I'd like to play, then I go make it.

The only time-consuming part is the costume.  I did one yesterday that took under 10 minutes, but that's unusual.  I don't think I've ever taken more than an hour, though.

Setting up UI, chat window, etc - seconds.  I'm a big fan of keybinds so this stuff takes as long as it takes to me type the command to load my main keybind file.  From that file, I load other keybinds.

Getting my P2W stuff, under 2 minutes since I've done it many times before.

Running around Atlas Park to get the exploration accolade and unlock the Long Range Teleporter, then smack some dudes on the way back to the trainer - 3 or 4 minutes.  Then train to level 2.

So, we're looking at 7-8 minutes plus the costume creation, which varies greatly.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Depends on the concept, probably the longest part is working on the costume since I tend to have the starting powers and name picked out ahead of time.

Once I'm past that stage.  However long it takes to go thru the tutorial and rearrange my trays.  10 minutes at most.

3 hours ago, Spot said:

I'm not sure why it would cost you any inf.  If you take into account the time to create a costume I like, we could be talking several hours.  That being said, I usually just grab the utility powers from the P2W vendor, but *not* the XP booster, so I can get some "seed money", then I'll sell off any medium or large insps from the "Inner Inspiration" power on the AH...

if you count concept, costume, and using your above edit PLing to 50 and respec i would say (including breaks) 6-8 hours.  If it a storyline toon i am not PLing then maybe an hour or two depending on happiness with concept, costume etc.

Edited by Snarky

It usually takes me about 5 days. I make the character, then look for a free ride to Ouro and park it before I do anything. When I get the chronologist badge, then I begin to clobber npcs. I tend to visit p2w at level 4, and proceed to market, kill stuff, grab exploration accolades, etc. 

While it's true I've never gotten a recipe drop before reaching level 10, getting from 1 to 10 doesn't take very long at all (once I start). So, since I tend to do story arcs en route to 50, I see no reason not to get the random rare recipe after each mission completion. 

I will often spend two or three hours pondering over a build and coming up with a completed solution before a character is ever rolled. Even in the case of new sets I would tinker in Mid's with it to get a path of expectation before playing the character so I knew where it could/was going. Once a character his Atlas Park I snag the Inspiration Temp and roll for a Tier 3 and then knock around couple of Hellions until they drop two more inspirations but make sure I do not gain enough XP to hit level two. I vendor the two drops so that I can list the Tier 3(s) in order to purchase a full stack of the Offense, Support, and Defense buffs at level one while they're only 1,000 INF each (cheapest they'll ever be, and the only time I'll purchase them). If I was lucky enough to get three Tier 3's, I'll even pick up 30 minutes of a flight pack too. Then I grab 2XP and DFB until I have each of the Hydra buffs. I used to run DiB as well but that one is a bit more tedious and I find less folks are willing to do that one.

I will start collecting XP and officially train to level two while trying to join my first DFB and I will continue to train until 20 where I will stop until I hit 28. The reason I wait until this level is because it is commonly about the point where I've played my eight hour point and the original P2W buffs are wearing off and I'll no longer be able to limp along between their support and the Hydra temps and I'll have to commit to actual enhancement slotting at this point. Ideally I'll have flipped some recipes around and have a bit of a fund to begin enhancing the character, and between 28-32 have the first 10-15% of the build slotted.

So in total the average character from Concept to Trained 2 is anywhere from 2-4 hours, and from 2 to 32 is usually about 8 hours. After 32 it's kind of a mill-about and do what I feel like kinda thing.

Depends on the toon.  I made one sort of on the fly then spent like four hours perfecting each very varied costume slot to take advantage of them being free below ten, after running through the tutorial quickly (somehow, stepping into the "real world" of the game at level 1 just feels wrong).  THEN I went through the whole setting up my basic targeting macro, tray arranging and P2W purchasing.  And are we going to start discussing time spent of the forums looking at builds before I even made the toon?

Other times I've just had an idea for this guy with like guns and.... something, wears a hat like so and dove right in.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I.... may spend an absolutely ridiculous amount of time in the costume creator. 😅

My magi all start with pretty standard, straight-forward Oranbegan armored costumes, but I spend a fair bit of time tinkering with the colors for my "non-canon" types that don't have NPC analogues. *Everybody* gets the colors of their powers tinkered with. I never leave power colors default, though the changes are more subtle on some than others.  

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

My typical MO has been:

Make a new character and change the costume to "Bare".  I always have an idea for powersets but not always for costumes.

Run the tutorial for every new alt.  I don't know why I do this.  Even worse, I will usually get the badge for the starting zone.  My rationale is 1.  I want the two large inspirations to sell for starting capital; and 2.  maybe *this* will be the alt I want to badge on.  I realize there are better ways to get those initial badges, but what are you gonna do.  5 minutes?  Boom, level 2.

For non-gold zoners, I defeat one or more mobs for the AH fees.  Gold zone, they give you a pittance of inf after the tutorial.  Sell my two starting large inspirations.  

My initial inf outlay is 15,000 at the P2W -- 10k for Reveal, 5k for the jetpack.  I will also get Athletic Run, the free inspiration one, and xp boosters if that's how I'm playing this alt.  Then reinvest because I almost always self-fund each new alt.

Usually at this point I work on my costume, but sometimes I'll play for a few more levels as a near-nudie running around the starting zone.

When I can, I'll pick up Portable Workbench (10mm), Mission Transporter (1mm), Team Transporter (10mm) in that order.

Who run Bartertown?

I think I sneezed once and went from L1 straight to 3 in outbreak.

• Haha 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

14 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

😅I.... may spend an absolutely ridiculous amount of time in the costume creator.

I have worked on a single costume for hours.  Especially when I ask my wife for her opinion, because she's not as familiar as I am with the byzantine lists of options for options on the options. I think my latest stalker has a single costume slot we spend easily 3 hours on, and she's helped me with more than one for him.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝