Set those titles! Show those badges!

Heraclea

Noticed a disturbing trend, max level characters so little characterized that they aren't showing a concept-enhancing badge or setting a title.  The fact that the titles default to pitch black and have to be manually reset to something readable probably does not help.  And characters that do have a badge set often just have it set to a 'brag' Master Of badge rather than something that enhances the character concept. 

Even if you aren't into writing or reading character bios, badges and titles can enhance your characters and help bring them to life.  Here for example are a few of mine.

baroness-tb.JPG.c34b18609c06217cecd706a535d038d4.JPGiceminst-tb.jpg.621d0e72a5736053e50be2b576d45827.jpghera-tb.jpg.ee8138e817cacf0b5575e1d18823c945.jpgpc-tb.jpg.9e55743d90152038de1b7d068bdb8a56.jpgmh-tb.JPG.e9acb4c834e5c03bab848249f76a55dd.JPGJj-tb.JPG.4b8e50498a78c96470624a23836f0744.JPG

• Like 6
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Hear hear!

There's nothing more fun than finding the perfect badge display for a character.  Well, OK, there's lots of other fun to be had too, but that's definitely up there.  And I hate how the titles default to black, was it always this way?

• Like 3

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Hey, speaking of this, I have a question: if I take a character from blueside to red, would their title go away or something?  Like if she's wearing "Spelunker" and goes red, would that change at all?  Seems like it would be funny to hang out redside with the appellation

2100 Atlas CompleteBadge.png

Savior of Atlas Park

or something

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I'm just not a fan of the over-name titles. (It bothers me when the colors don't match the character name, and given that they're a static color while the character names AREN'T... changing when you're teamed, for instance... there's no way to *make* them match . So... <_<) I've used a simple "The" on a few characters where it made sense, but that's as far as I ever go with that. 

Badge titles? THOSE I use all the time... It's the only reason I've collected badges for any of the gang here on Homecoming. 

But not every character has a badge title that suits them, and so there are some who have never had one. I'm not going to slap just anything on there to say they have one, so... Sorry, Heraclea. You're just going to have to deal with a few creepy Oranbegans running around with "naked" names. 🤣  

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

2 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Hey, speaking of this, I have a question: if I take a character from blueside to red, would their title go away or something?  Like if she's wearing "Spelunker" and goes red, would that change at all?  Seems like it would be funny to hang out redside with the appellation

2100 Atlas CompleteBadge.png

Savior of Atlas Park

or something

Some do.  Others don't.  Exploration badges are generally safe.  Accolades and similar badges that are different redside and blueside may change, and for some of those you get a second badge (e.g. Ex-Marshal) when your alignment changes.  

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I try to gather badge titles that fit my characters, the one I worked hardest for was for a character I do not drag out much at the moment, for reasons that will be obvious. He... it... is the second character I created when I discovered a year and a half ago that CoH was back, so prior to our current... situation. It's been a great villain to play but I wouldn't want people to assume that I created it to make light of what's currently going on in the world.

Hemorrhagic_Fever.JPG.2f41dfe6fe06867480a87191ecb94244.JPG

Edited by Oubliette_Red
  • Like 9

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I've mentioned it once or twice before over the past year and a half, but my main villain earnt the Role Model badge during some interesting roleplay activities, and that has remained her badge title ever since.

My main hero has never had a Badge title, mainly because "True Undead" or even just "Undead" isn't a Badge title.   If I could, I would gladly flag my main as True Undead in the game files, taking the penalties associated with that, for no other advantage than to have the game recognize my hero as undead.

My myriad pile of alts generally start without any Badge title, but either slap an interim Badge titles until something better comes along, or have their life-long appropriate Badge titles.

Granted, since I roleplay, sometimes those Badge titles shift, since they describe an aspect to the character which is no longer applicable.

7 hours ago, Lines said:

While a thematic badge is the stuff of champions, I gotta be honest I find the titles add a bit too much clunkiness to my characters' names.

This mirrors my thoughts on the subject. I always try to find a badge title that works well but I rather strongly dislike titles.

• Like 1

I'm damn proud of my Praetor badge as it's not straight sailing to get a Praetorian to level 50 without leaving.  I earned that Praetorship!

KameronDaniels.png

• Like 9

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Depends on the character. Sometimes just having a simple name without badge or title works better.  I do have to say I'd rather see that than a dense word cloud floating above the character, always topped by that neon-green maraschino "HELPER!" where most or even ALL of it is either not descriptive of the character, or worse detracts from any interest I may have had as an observer.  But then all of that extra baggage over your head was given for more than just one reason.  If you want your PC to seem impressive because they have a NY phone book over their heads, I guess you do you.  If you want something more minimalist and more usefully descriptive and definitive for your character, it's there for that too.  It's no worse than having to look at some costumes in the first place.  🙂

It's kind of the same with the bio.  It's there for those who want it - but some people should actually be forbidden to use it.  🙂

2 hours ago, Apparition said:

I am not a fan of titles, but I do use badges.

Same.  I find the titles available rarely suit my characters.

Badges, however, can be fun... especially if I can work them together into something with the character name... like the AE badge Author with my scrapper, Hard-Hitting.  In his case, I did use "The" from titles, but no actual titles.

image.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I've rarely like the choices in Titles, they rarely fit my concepts. All my alts are animal/creatures and self-aggrandizing isn't in their nature.

I don't badge hunt, but if I get an appropriate badge at random that is suitable to the alt's story or behavior, I'll use those.

Heck, I don't even bother to change the colors on my name/title/badge or my thought bubbles anymore. I still write bios though; mostly for me, since few others ever read them.

Badge titles..... yeah....

<.<

>.>

I keep planning to make a character named Baby Seal and then park them in Pocket D to get the Clubber badge.

• Haha 8

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.