The Officially Unofficial Weekly Discussion #69: Do you use discord with or about CoH?

I use it to chat with a few friends that I play with often.

I also join chats that are being run by the various server task force channels.   (Currently Everlasting)

Easier than typing, though I need to get a better headset.

I use it to keep up to date with Closed Beta topics, some RP discords on the off chance I find a good bio or something actually interesting to read, and various SG discords because once I join a discord I usually am too lazy to leave. Honestly, some of 'em I've gone, "How the hell did I end up here again?" and still refuse to leave. I am LA-ZY lol. Discord is...ok. I think I got into it because a few college buddies back when we were all in school got into it for a pathfinder game when we all got sent home for COVID lockdown and just stuck with it from there. Or maybe HC got me into it, I dunno. It IS very annoying to navigate at first, but once you get the hang of things it works itself out.

I do recommend a lot of people join the closed beta discord to try and get an inside view of changes coming to CoH and voice your opinions during the shaping stage of a page. Otherwise, eh, you're really only missing cringe memes and painstakingly stupid takes. So basically its like here except the messages are in real time I guess.

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

23 hours ago, DougGraves said:

I only use discord for a D&D game every other week.  I don't have it running otherwise.  Discord does not work well on my laptop (neither does Windows Update).

I know there is discord for CoH but I have not used it.

Do you use discord with CoH or to talk about CoH?  Do you use it for voice chat, or for forums?

I use it to talk with my friends while we are playing CoH, while we are playing Starfinder, while we are playing Pathfinder. I use the CoH Discord for info that may not be in the forums or are slower to show up there.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Discord has become a pretty standard tool for my usual group, and pretty much mandatory for high level stuff. Sure, there aren't many things in the game that require voice coordination (I was convinced nothing did until attempting Omega Kong), but to say it makes the experience smoother is an understatement. Plus, I like making poop jokes with my friends!

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

Yes, but only with one very select group of people where we coordinate the leading of Hami raids. Other than that, I hate Discord with the white hot passion of a thousand suns.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

Yes, but only with one very select group of people where we coordinate the leading of Hami raids. Other than that, I hate Discord with the white hot passion of a thousand suns.

I know that you're not the only one who feels this way, but I don't know why. Could you please explain why?

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I never use Discord unless I'm forced to because some game company has decided that despite having a forum, a website, and a bunch of other social media channels, they're going to put important information out solely via an ugly IRC knock-off with a terrible interface.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

I have a friend who hosts a Zoom room (used mainly for tabletop gaming) and another who runs a Discord server (used for CoH and other MMOs).

I love 'em both for doing it, but both applications drive me nuts!

Zoom has a terrible interface, is wildly different across platforms, and has ongoing privacy and security issues.

Discord has a terrible interface, ongoing privacy and security issues, and unique technical aggravations.

(I run and recommend TinyWall, a small add-on to Windows firewall that blocks any program from accessing the Internet until you approve it. Most programs, including frequently-patched ones like Firefox, require only one initial approval. For whatever reason, Discord needs to be reauthorized every time it updates. Which it does every time you launch it!)

And, yes, both tend to have at least one participant who hasn't spoken to another human all week, and just wants to chat.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

We started using Discord for voice chat in our weekly D&D 5E sessions during COVID.  So then our SG in CoH used it occasionally to coordinate when running TFs - but since most of us preferred to type (& typo) in CoH chat instead, Discord fell into disuse.

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

I do not like voice chat for gaming and avoid it whenever I can. Nothing takes me out of the game quicker than hearing people's voices.

The text chat functionality of Discord is also pretty miserable for me.

First, Discord does NOT like privacy measures like VPNs or custom browsers. If I can log in at all, it's because I'm not using any of the online privacy tools I prefer to.

Second, Discord also does not like 3rd party clients for the same reason, so you're stuck using either the web interface or the Electron interface (which is still just the web interface). Both come with all the usual headaches of webapps, including a tremendous memory footprint

Third and most importantly, Discord just doesn't seem to like me. Even if I'm jumping through all the hoops, I can log in maybe one of three or four times.

• Like 1