Weekly Discussion 55: Power Pools!

GM Miss

• Retired Lead Game Master

Weekly discussion 55 - Week 6/14/20-6/20/20:

⚔️YOU VOTED: Let's talk about power pools!⚔️

Things to think about:

>Here is a link on power pools: https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Power_Pools
>What power pools need a little TLC?
>What would you change (If you want me to post the feedback, make sure it's feasible)?
>What do you love?

Don't just use these prompts, talk about whatever you want from this weeks prompt!

Let's Chat 😄

Contact me on Discord (Miss#1337) for a faster response!

Want more information on lore pets?

Want to get involved in our weekly discussions on discord or the forums?

Oh god . . . uh . . . ok, I'm going to need to ask for people's help on this one.  I figure if a few of us split the load and each search for threads on a specific Pool, it might be manageable.

I'll compile the Teleport Pool Threads.  Who wants the dubious honour of collecting the Hasten/Super Speed Threads?

Oh man, oh geez, oh I-don't-know-Rick!  What am I getting myself in to here?  These are just the results from the first 8 pages, of 80 pages worth of results on the subject:

General Pools:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/12308-instant-teleport-pipedream-request-incarnate-travel/ - Incarnate-level Travel Pool Ideas (my thread)

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/18299-travel-power-pools/ - a little short thread about bundling the Travel Pools (a suggestion which periodically shows up)

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/18872-proposed-power-pool-makeover-post-origin/ - The Power Pool Make-Overs Thread

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/19851-power-pools-again/ - a call to rebalance the Power Pools, again

Teleport:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/10252-teleportation-power-pool-rework/ - a 5 page thread discussion related to reworking the Teleport Pool

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/18949-teleport-is-broken-and-needs-to-be-fixed/ - a 2 page thread of similar content

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/17990-teleportation-rework-would-be-awesome/ - a call to change Teleport after witnessing Jaunt in action (I feel this one on a personal level too)

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/14756-new-teleport-animations/ - Teleport Animation Ideas

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/20111-pipe-dream-request-new-teleport-animation/ - a more recent thread with Teleport Animation Ideas

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/16727-brainstorming-session-how-do-we-fix-the-teleport-pool/ - a brainstorming session of ideas to help improve Teleport Pool

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/14220-medium-range-teleport/ - suggestion to implement additional Teleport points to zones for users of the Teleport Pool

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/15423-teleport/ - an alternative suggestion to make Teleport work like invisible super-speed

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/16088-qol-teleport-to-target-versions-of-most-teleport-powers/ - brief thread discussing improve Teleport player-controls

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/19359-long-range-teleport-should-be-tp-to-ally/ - a suggestion which received no reply or Rep, but may still be worthwhile

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/20085-teleport-pool-now-that-enterbasefrompasscode-exists/ - the most recent thread calling to attention the change in metagame dynamics between the Teleport Pool and the plethora of tools available to players to navigate between zones rapidly (not -just- enterbasefrompasscode)

Edited by ImpousVileTerror
Started adding links.
  • Like 2

I think, while not necessarily a consensus, that there is a strong sentiment favouring improvements to all things not named Hasten, Maneuvers, Tactics, Tough, and Weave. Basically make more powers competitive, and make the choice between going into the Fighting pool vs say, Medicine or Presence more of a meaningful and, perhaps, agonizing decision.

I'd be all over seeing more synergy within each pool. Just as the Fighting pool attacks get better the more of them you have, and a couple of Medicine's powers improve with deeper commitment, perhaps the other pools could get a similar treatment. Maybe (maaaayyyybe) it's time to rethink the whole "power pools must never be better than a primary/secondary" concept? Especially since Hasten kinda blows that idea up anyway.

• Like 4

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

Request #1) Increase maximum number of Pool Powers you can select to 5, or have the Origin Pools not count as a Power Pool in the current limit of 4 Pool Powers.

Request #2) Remove the Requirement of the T4 powers in a pool needing 2 sub powers before selection. Only have the T5 power require 2 previous powers. As a compromise, move the minimum level for slotting a T4 pool power to level 20.

Edited by Bopper
Very poorly phrased, corrected.
  • Like 8

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Request #3) Lock every thread that suggests "nerf Hasten". 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

The problem with power pools in general is that they are to provide powers to an AT that does not get that power normally.  But then they are made so weak that they are not worth taking in order to keep the AT's balanced.

I would rather have the powers balanced by a long recharge but be good powers for everyone, rather than get weak powers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

-Fighting; Punch and kick are still terrible, and they always have been for sure, but I don't see them being spiced up....in every game, there's gonna be a power that is pure trash. Fighting was dived into because of the great toggles (Tough/Weave). Make them boost defense and or res, though I don't see these powers going anywhere, popularity wise.

• Like 1

An indirect solution to promoting other Pool Powers:  Pool-Specific Invention Sets!

Give us something special to slot in to Powers that are underused which will encourage players to examine those Powers.

Give Teleport an IO Set which can be used to unlock the Superior Teleport idea expressed in the other threads.

Give us ANYTHING to slot in to Pacify and Misdirection.

For consideration, anyway.

• Like 1

Okay lets see!

I am only going to focus on a couple power pools. The Origin pools are interesting. Force of Will and Sorcery are undertuned in my opinion. The activation time for Force of Will powers are way too long, for way too little damage. The trade off seems to be that they have very short cooldowns. But they really seem underwhelming. I have a Thugs/Forcefield/Force of WIll mastermind, that I made specifically to utilize Force of Will. It's fun. It's the closest I can get to a psychic mastermind. But is it actually effective? Probably not. But I wouldn't use Force of WIll on any of my other characters, because the attacks are so incredibly slow they break the flow of combat, especially for how little damage they do.

Experimentation though? Seems like you guys threw the "pool powers should do low damage" rule out the window. It has high damage and low cooldowns. It pairs really nicely with Containment for 'trollers. It's versatile and can be combined with a lot of different sets in fun ways. I like it on my elec/ controller. 

So I guess my opinion is that Origin pool powers should be comparable to AT powers, since you can only take one Origin. If they don't do much damage, they should have useful utility. Force of Will is weird, because it has the most offensive powers (so far) of the Origin pools... But also insanely low damage output. Sorcery has some nice buffs/debuffs so it doesn't need a ton of damage. Experimentation has two offensive (high damage DoTs) abilities, and some snazzy utility. Force of Will has two attacks (Single target and cone) as well as a single target debuff and the standard travel power & long cooldown buff. But Project Will and Wall of Force do so very little damage, with very long activation times AND slow travel times. I'll often start Project Will and my thugs will kill my target before it even reaches it. Project WIll and Wall of Force DO have a slight knockback/down chance, but it is so weak and so infrequent I wouldn't even bother keeping them. I would just increase the damage, and remove the knocks entirely. 

Another pool that I really really like is Fighting. I took boxing/kick/cross punch on my mind/dark controller for all those damn robots and zombies and Awakened Seers. And you know what? The Fighting synergy is really nice and really satisfying. I like that with one or two, the attacks are 'okay' but with all three, they are pretty powerful. Combined with Containment, and I feel like an even more vicious version of a Dominator. I love it. It's fun and satisfying and it all fits together really well. My 'troller feels powerful and versatile, and I feel like I have multiple ways to complete a fight. And it's because Fighting adds something different to my set. I can't compete with a Dominator for instantly hard locking enemies, and I can't compete with a Scrapper for crits and toughness. But I can still get a lot of enjoyment out of putting a group of enemies to sleep, debuffing them and then beating the crap out of them one at a time. 

So I STRONGLY suggest doing some sort of inter-pool synergy for the Origin pools and maybe even the other ones that have attacks. The more Force of Will powers you have, the stronger Project Will, Weaken Resolve and Wall of Force are. The more Speed powers you have, the stronger Flurry and Whirlwind are. Maybe do the unthinkable and tone down Hasten baseline, then have it ramp up to it's regular overpowered state with a couple other Super Speed powers. Things like that. Though honestly I would limit the synergy to attack powers, since the utility ones tend to be decent as they are. No one takes Flurry, Air Superiority is only good for the knockdown, etc. Make them desirable if you are willing to build them into your character, rather than cherry-pick them. 

Finally, and I don't actually expect either of these suggestions to come to anything:

Add another pool, comparable to Fighting but with a single pistol. Three simple attacks that build off each other, that aren't fancy or crazy. If any Hero or Villain can learn to throw a punch or deliver a simple kick, any hero should be able to pick up a 9mm and learn to shoot. Again, it doesn't have to be crazy gun-fu or complex. Make it function almost identically to Fighting. Several low/medium damage attacks with a higher damage one. Maybe some toggles that are the inverse of Fighting. Resistance instead of Defense, Defense instead of Resistance. Maybe even make it so those toggles are mutually exclusive with each other. So Tough and Weave can't be active at the same time as whatever the Small Arms pool toggles would be, so people aren't double-dipping too much. There are already a few single handgun animations in the game used by NPCs. 

The other suggestion is add power customization to Fighting. The way Martial Arts can switch between kicks and punches? Let Fighting switch between unarmed, and simple melee weapons. I would limit the skins to the more mundane options. So no Rularuu or Nictus Romulus swords. But a Nightstick, basic broadsword, or simple mace? Sure why not. And if the attacks are paired with a primary/secondary AT's powers that have a similar weapon, let them all flow together seamlessly. Let my Psionic Assault/Ninja Training Blaster use The Lotus Drops with "Katana Punch" as if they were all part of the same set. 

I know these last two suggestions are highly unlikely, but I feel like they would open up so much build diversity and concepts. 

• Like 7

Medicine Pool needs a LOT of love. 

1. An alternate animation would be nice so our Magic friends don't use a tricorder.
  2. Aid Other should actually be useful. "Oh no my Defender friend is getting hurt. I'll just drag out my tricorder, check some settings, check my email and Twitter, and oh no they're dead." It would be much better as a faster animation that is effective even if my Blaster uses it, i.e. remove the scaling by AT.
  3. Stimulant. Seems like it lasts long enough to finish the animation, maybe. It should last MUCH longer. It would be cool if you could cast it even if you are under a status effect to help someone else break out, like passing them a Break Free.
  4. Aid Self. Again the "Let's get my tricorder, call work, check my Facebook, and oh yes I got 3 hit points!" animation. It should work AT LEAST as well as a second tier Heal inspiration, and as a third tier if enhanced.
  5. Resuscitate. I've never seen anyone use this power since I stated playing on Live. 
  6. Field Medic. Great Idea, bad implementation. It should be an Auto power that enhances healing.

Just my 2 Inf worth. 

• Like 6

I wonder how nice it will be, but could we also get Elemental Power Pools? Just as normal power pool.

1. Fire Pool : 1. Low damage fiery breath (cone)
                     2. Resist against fire,toxic and cold damage (Click)
                     3. Fiery Trail: When you move fiery trail is following you. Enemies on fiery trail get fire damage (DoT) and Feared (Runaway kind) (Toggle)
                     4. Fiery Teleport : You throw fireball at enemies (Targeted AoE) when it booms you teleport with fiery explosion.(Click)
                     5. Burning Ground : You burn ground for some reason dealing damage to surrounding enemies but you get speed buffs if you use it with Fiery Trail.

I update when I think of some more.

Edited by Darkneblade
  • Like 2

I’d like access to the limited #/uses powers in a single pool called, I dunno, “weaponry.”  Revolver, grenades (regular and stun), bat, throwing knives. I’ll snag these sometimes for solo toons. Realize I can just buy them, but the ability to slot that stuff might be interesting. If not that, the “pistol”pool sounds fun. Realize we have dual pistols, but a single weapon would be a nice option. Or something like the experimental blaster from Champions Online. Instead of chem/ice/fire a la DP, maybe it could have focused sonic/energy/elec options.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

The pool powers provide a lot of flexibility and flavor.

It's tough to say "just ignore the min/maxers" they may have some good points but their use of the pool powers may be different from the average player or the role playing folks.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

5 hours ago, killigraphy said:

-Fighting; Punch and kick are still terrible, and they always have been for sure, but I don't see them being spiced up....in every game, there's gonna be a power that is pure trash. Fighting was dived into because of the great toggles (Tough/Weave). Make them boost defense and or res, though I don't see these powers going anywhere, popularity wise.

Rubbish

Other items:

• Aid self is really sloooow.
  • I totally use stealth pre 50. I don't love having to take another power to get phase shift but it is what it is.
  • I'm not in favor of giving access to an additional pool in a build. Trade offs are part of the game.
  • New pools would be interesting.
  • Should we be able to create builds that rely heavily of the pool powers?
  • Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

This seems like a huge chunk of the game to only devote one week to. Instead of individual ideas I'd rather propose a hierarchy of where development time should be spent on improving. Depending on the person I think any of these could be ranked differently by preference, but they are all in need of attention and work.

1. Presence

2. Teleportation

3. Medicine

4. Force of Will

5. Concealment

Honorary Mention (as it relates to other Patron Pools)

Leviathan Mastery

Edited by zenblack
Extra by
  • Like 1

Thanks @ImpousVileTerror for getting the ball rolling on threads that have already addressed these issues.

What I would like to add is a direct quote from one of my threads (these are not all my ideas, I have called out people who have contributed thoughts on this in the past but will not do that atm):

On 5/8/2020 at 3:26 PM, Zepp said:

I am looking at the origin pools and thinking that, frankly, many of the Pool Powers need some love. So, I thought I would look at what an overhaul of the Pool Power System would look like.

First of all, and I will likely get slammed as a power creep for posting this one, but I think that Hasten should be made inherent, unslottable, and auto at 70% recharge. This would mainly be a boon for control and support powersets, but it would also help DpS ATs a little. While I understand this would be power creep, It would also be targeted at the ATs that have been hit hardest by changes to the game over the year making DpS more powerful, while control and support became less powerful (especially in endgame) and required much more global recharge to remain viable.

Second, I would like to make all power pools standardized as:

T1a: Requires level 4, no pool investment

T1b: Requires level 4, no pool investment

T1c: Requires level 4, no pool investment

T2: Requires level 14, 1 pool power investment

T3: Requires level 20, 2 pool powers investment

Builds that are not in compliance with these requirements would continue to exist as is until respec.

Next, all damaging attacks would have their DpA adjusted.

Pool Power Tier Primary Power Set Tier Equivalent
T1 T3
T2 T6
T3 T7

Next, there may need to be some fine-tuning of individual sets. --Only adjustments to non-origin pools are being written about--

Concealment:

Misdirection: Addition of +Placate and -Res IO sets (sets need to be developed)

Phase Shift: Add +Res (All Dmg) equivalent to Tough but only effective while intangible.

Fighting:

Power Pool Standardization and DpA adjustments would be sufficient for this set.

Flight:

Group Fly: Change from toggle to PBAoE (60s cooldown 120s effect). Remove the -Acc.

Leadership:

Maneuvers, Assault, Tactics: 20-25% reduction in Endurance Cost.

Victory Rush: Recharge reduction 300s->150s, duration increase 2s->10s.

Leaping:

Acrobatics: Add +Res (Immobilize, Stun, Smashing, Lethal). S/L Resistance equivalent to half of Tough.

Medicine:

If possible, decrease animation times in half.

Field Medic: Convert to Auto power. No change in effect.

Presence:

Pacify: Addition of +Placate IO sets (sets need to be developed)

Unrelenting: Recharge 600s->300s. Duration 30s->60s. +Dmg 25%->15%.

Speed:

Hasten: Moved to inherent, no longer in this pool.
Vibration: New power. +Spd (run), Semi-tangible (new state - can effect tangible and intangible foes. Can be affected by tangible and intangible foes). +Res (Smashing, Lethal, Energy, Negative, Fire, Cold) S/L equivalent to 25% Tough, E/N/F/C equivalent to 50% Tough.

Whirlwind: KB 2.08->0.03. -ToHit 15%. Addition of -Res IO sets (sets need to be developed).

Teleportation:

T1a: Recall: Can target ally or enemy, brings target to caster, never causes in-game aggro. Cast time around 3s (no interrupt), recharge around 4s.

T1b: Tactical Teleport: Range= 30', +Def (all [equivalent to Combat Jump]), +Res(Teleportation) duration 60s. Uses Jaunt animation. Recharge around 3-5s.

T1c: Group Teleport: Reduction in current Teleport endurance cost and animation time. Hover tar is 6s and cancelled by movement. Affects self, team, & pets within 30' range.

T2: Long-Range Teleport: Expand the number of choices to include most zones and current mission. Reduction in cast time by about 50%. [Consider adding an Ouroboros style portal for others to follow.]

T3: Teleport Assault: Chain attack (up to 10 targets). -Def, 50% chance for Mag 3 Fear, 10% chance for Mag 5 fear. (up to 10 targets).

This is a fairly thorough explanation and includes some general fixes - adjusting the DPA of attack powers and standardizing level and pre-requisites - as well as some specific changes - especially the TP pool. The Medicine pool could probably also use a little bit more love than explicitly stated in this post, something along the lines of what @GetRidOfWires posted in this thread. I figure, however, that these should be held back until after all the origin pools have been implemented (or when the final origin pool is implemented).

Edited by Zepp
  • Like 5

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

3 hours ago, Troo said:
  • Should we be able to create builds that rely heavily of the pool powers?

I think that depends on just what you mean, since looking at min/maxing could take it two different ways.

1 - "This lets me reach the cap due to the power itself" - IE, Hasten, Tough or Weave being the most popular examples here.

2 - "I use these pool powers for mules to let me reach X bonus."

Both can be true, but they don't necessarily draw the same attention. (Hasten, for example, being popular in the "This needs nerfing!" (which it doesn't) category, moreso than "I take CJ and hover as two more places for a LOTG global recharge global." And I think both approaches tend to be used in those min/max builds.

(Of course, the third meaning is the "poolboy" build which ... as much as it can, just takes pool powers, but I don't think that's what you mean. 🙂 )

Either way, the direct answer, as far as I'm concerned, is yes. Pools add more avenues to build, rather than "You are a fighter, you have these powers by this level" in so many other games. It may seem like min/maxing is dictating "these powers are musts," but that's just from it being more.. vocal and obvious.

---

For my own answer, I had been considering how concealment can be mostly replaced by temporary powers at little to no cost. And it can - stealth by a quick patrol in bloody bay, invisibility by the same in Siren's, even Phase in Warburg, not to mention empowerment stations.  (I want to say there's a temp for an AOE placate, but it's escaping me right now.)

However, looking at it further, "replacement" by those is questionable.

If you're not going to use them a lot? The temp powers are great. They last 30 minutes (1 hour for the empowerment station,) don't take up a power slot and just work. Their cost, of course, *is* that duration - they can go away (and sometimes at a bad time,) and while you can recharge them if you're in level for that zone, if you're not, they're gone, period.  The pool powers don't disappear, of course, though they cost power and pool picks - but can be enhanced, for the most part, helping out the build in other ways. Plus, at its simplest, concealment does what it says on the box, so you can't really complain about that.

So, to me, concealment is generally fine (offering at least one power that can't be gotten through a temp, as far as I recall.) And it's pretty flexible as far as choices in how to obtain the effect, pool or temp power.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Item on my "Wish List":

"Forge Master" (Blacksmith/Weaponsmith) Origin Pool that strays a bit from normal convention.

• No Travel
  • Single Target Debuff "Tear Down" for -Def and -Dam (make it worthwhile), light damage. "You can easily see the weakness in craftsmanship on any armor or weaponry making it simple to weaken with just a few quick blows"
  • Attack be a PBAoE (knife throw/slash)
  • At least two powers focused on self-buffing (one toggle, one auto)
    • +Dam (10%), +ToHit (5%), +Perception - "Years of experience have hardened your strength on the anvil, and your focus on the finer details." (Toggle. Marginally enhance ToHit, ToHit sets).
    • +Res (3%), +Def (3%) - "Years of sweltering heat, molten steel, and the flame of your forge have toughened your fortitude and skin." (Auto. Take Res/Def sets, but no enhancement effect, purely mule opportunity).
  • T5 Ability: Reforge - A Power Build-Up like effect that only impacts Damage, Resistance, and Defense (and yes technically being an intentional and controlled use of the buff bug when it comes to Res crossover with Dam)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, GetRidOfWires said:

Medicine Pool needs a LOT of love. 

1. An alternate animation would be nice so our Magic friends don't use a tricorder.
  2. Aid Other should actually be useful. "Oh no my Defender friend is getting hurt. I'll just drag out my tricorder, check some settings, check my email and Twitter, and oh no they're dead." It would be much better as a faster animation that is effective even if my Blaster uses it, i.e. remove the scaling by AT.
  3. Stimulant. Seems like it lasts long enough to finish the animation, maybe. It should last MUCH longer. It would be cool if you could cast it even if you are under a status effect to help someone else break out, like passing them a Break Free.
  4. Aid Self. Again the "Let's get my tricorder, call work, check my Facebook, and oh yes I got 3 hit points!" animation. It should work AT LEAST as well as a second tier Heal inspiration, and as a third tier if enhanced.
  5. Resuscitate. I've never seen anyone use this power since I stated playing on Live. 
  6. Field Medic. Great Idea, bad implementation. It should be an Auto power that enhances healing.

Just my 2 Inf worth. 

Also needs alternate animations that are suitable for non-tech characters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

11 hours ago, Cutter said:

I think, while not necessarily a consensus, that there is a strong sentiment favouring improvements to all things not named Hasten, Maneuvers, Tactics, Tough, and Weave. Basically make more powers competitive, and make the choice between going into the Fighting pool vs say, Medicine or Presence more of a meaningful and, perhaps, agonizing decision.

I'd be all over seeing more synergy within each pool. Just as the Fighting pool attacks get better the more of them you have, and a couple of Medicine's powers improve with deeper commitment, perhaps the other pools could get a similar treatment. Maybe (maaaayyyybe) it's time to rethink the whole "power pools must never be better than a primary/secondary" concept? Especially since Hasten kinda blows that idea up anyway.

While the Field Medic and Fighting Pool Attack synergy mechanics are okay, I actually am not too fond of the idea of increasing synergy mechanics. I think that making powers competitive individually (without requiring the high investment related to synergy mechanics) should take priority over thinking of gimmicks that give preference to a focused approach over a broad spectrum approach.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

I would say to summarise my thoughts succinctly, on one hand we have VERY powerful pools and powers like Hasten, Leadership and Fighting, and then on the other hand you have ones which are so heavily taxed they hardly make a difference, like most of the power pool attacks, Presence and Concealment. 

Not to turn this into a 'nerf Hasten' thread because lets just all assume that isn't on the cards (its been a staple of the game for too long), but certainly my biggest issue with Power Pools is the varience in effectiveness is just so extreme, anywhere from massive impact to your character to dead powers that hardly make a difference. 

Some other random thoughts:

• I don't like the cap on only being able to take 4 power pools maximum. It sometimes can really restrict your ability to take some of the 'anxillary' power pools (like Presence, Concealment, a Travel power from a pool you haven't otherwise taken...). It would be more interesting gameplay if all the power pools were equally balanced, but unfortunately there aren't. 
  • There are huge question marks in my head about the point of power pool attacks. There seems to be a general rule and belief that power pool powers should be weaker than anything from your primary and secondary.  That might be proper when we're talking about buffs and debuffs, (although not universal - see how Weaken Resolve was nerfed very hard but buffs like Leadership and Hasten are still massive), but when it comes to power pool attacks, why should they be massively weaker? What is the purpose of these powers? The only AT which has few attacks are Controllers, and even their single target controls can be slotted for damage. For Most ATs the rule where power pool powers should be weaker means that power pool attacks do not compare to their attack powers in the primary/secondary. I think we have to remember that the cost of buying these powers, (taking up a power slot) is the same. There is a strong argument I think that these attacks should be more competitive choices, and not taken just for style. I would be inclined to up their damage, or up their recharge and have them grant a temporary buff after activation. 
  • Sometimes I find the 'you must take 2 powers' to unlock a power pool power very restrictive. Sometimes it works, other times it just doesn't seem warrented. It works better where you have pools where you're already taking the travel power so the 'power slot' cost is in effect reduced. Otherwise some of these 10 minute recharge, 1 minute duration powers take 3 power slots to acquire - and rarely do you want all the powers and so the cost just becomes not worth it.  Especially when the powers you have to take have nothing to do with the power you want to get. For example, take Fighting - boxing/kick have nothing to do with Tough and Weave. It is almost as if it is two pools combined.
  • Speaking of Tough/Weave I would actually put them in the Fitness pool and make them baseline. Radical I know. Tough at 20, Weave at 25, or something. Make the fighting power pool much more focused on melee attacks. There would be more room without Tough and Weave. 

• Like 8

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

Here's an early morning thought (and if someone else has mentioned this before somewhere, consider yourself credited!)... what if choice of origin during character creation came with that origin pool as a set of inherent powers which don't count against other power pool picks? They would NOT all be available at level 2, but rather open up on their current tier unlock schedule. They would be easily ignorable by those who wish to ignore them, but otherwise having a "free" travel power, attack or two, buff etc. seems like it would be a good thing?

• Like 5

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

I'll get on board with the making of field medic into an auto power. I remember when I first saw that power existed and got excited to try it out in practice. What a letdown that was. It doesn't remove interrupt from aid self (why? I don't know), and would take a whole lot of leverage to get anywhere near perma. I have one character with medicine pool, and I respecced out of field medic ages ago and don't feel any loss whatsoever. It would also be nice if it helped with interrupt on aid self.

• Like 2