Hardest badge to get

PotatoLove

On 8/26/2023 at 11:59 PM, Shocktacular said:

I haven't managed "The Really Hard Way" even once yet, but then again, I'm on Indom, so there aren't as many opportunities.

If you really want it, transfer to another server for the badge, then go back later.  I did that for some of the ridiculous arena badges.  I moved to Excelsior and made a temporary Ironblade to make sure I didn't lose my name before I went back to Everlasting.

Everlasting usually runs The Really Hard Way once a month, on the first Sunday of each month.  They run it twice and often (usually?) get it both times.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

• 2 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later

"Avoids the Green Stuff" by far. If people don't Incan or aren't alert/quick enough it just fails. "Dodger" was difficult before but now we just get it through raw DPS/T4 Barrier and stuff.

"Master" badges aren't particularly hard if you're on a good team and have Discord etc.

• 3 weeks later
On 9/10/2023 at 7:51 PM, Display Name said:

Ski Slope badges.  Yes, including the "Bunny" slope!  Lol!

Travel powers have been buffed enough now that there's an "easy" workaround for the ski slopes.  Just make a build at level 50 with flight, afterburner, and evasive maneuvers, maybe slot some +fly enhancements, and you'll be fast enough to fly though both the ski slope and slalom courses fast enough to get all the badges. 

It's the only way I could get them, anyway, since I'm astoundingly bad at navigating those slopes in the way they were intended.

Edited by Zhym
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later
On 10/6/2023 at 1:19 PM, Zhym said:

Travel powers have been buffed enough now that there's an "easy" workaround for the ski slopes.  Just make a build at level 50 with flight, afterburner, and evasive maneuvers, maybe slot some +fly enhancements, and you'll be fast enough to fly though both the ski slope and slalom courses fast enough to get all the badges. 

It's the only way I could get them, anyway, since I'm astoundingly bad at navigating those slopes in the way they were intended.

Thanks!  I had to respec my badging toon (and threw "Hover" in there for good measure) and was able to badge gold fairly easily.  I used a single Fly IO in each power to avoid depreciation.  BTW: Does that prevent depreciation?  As opposed to putting four enhs in a single flight power, I mean.

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

• 3 months later

For me, there's hard as in tedious or time-consuming,  like the damage taken badges, or hard as in overcoming one or more challenging mechanics in the game. When you write it on paper (or in the forums) avoids the green stuff sounds just trivial. But when you run a league, even with exceptional leadership and other folks with great reflexes that know what to do, just one player making a small mistake can cost it for the whole league. 

The bomb badge in Underground comes to mind. Instructionally simple. Heck, I've been on leagues that have zerged all the bombs with no problem, and I've been on leagues where some players don't read, or some leaders don't explain clearly, or at all, what the solution is to the problem at hand. I'm sure all of us have stories to tell. 

For me, Avoids the Green Stuff is the hardest one. 
You have to get a league together. 
You want about 4 to 8 people with incandescence. 
And you need folks to pay attention to the trial data box and still manage their characters. 

Procedurally, it's not that bad. But in game, it can be challenging for some folks more than others. 

I still don't have "Doesn't look at Explosions", from the new hard mode of lady grey. I don't even know what has to be done to earn it yet. But given my only single experience with it so far, I don't think I'm going to have any fun getting it. Maybe after I get it, I'll think it was fun. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

I still don't have "Doesn't look at Explosions", from the new hard mode of lady grey. I don't even know what has to be done to earn it yet. But given my only single experience with it so far, I don't think I'm going to have any fun getting it. Maybe after I get it, I'll think it was fun. Time will tell.

You just have to escape the final fight area and get back to the underground area before the portal overloaded.   Follow the glowing lines to exit.

If you have someone with incan that knows the way, they can port everyone out.

And I withdraw Pentad victor to being hard to get.   Followed KaizenSoze's method from

and got it with a defender/scrapper duo.

Swiss Draw looks like the tedious one to setup, but may play a bit with it this week to doublecheck the instructions given.

1 hour ago, Indystruck said:

Every time I've tried that Pentad method it's never worked for me. And It's one of the last badges I need so I've tried a lot.

Ping me at @Lemming and I'll try to help.  I ran it again with a pair of characters and did have a few restarts, but worked

• Thumbs Up 1

There's plenty that'll be a pain - the no-death 'Masteries', several of the iTrial badges that require tight coordination... the ski-slope? Plenty of ways to cheese those, even without respeccing into high-speed flight. I did it just by having a friend with Teleport Target help me skip the slowest checkpoint on the bunny-slope, and having Athletic Run activated for better air-control and sharper sliding control. (That, alone, is enough on the Expert Slope, really.)

The hardest has to be those two Arena-badges, though. Pentad Victory requires you to coordinate at least 10 people, though at least it's fairly brief and painless once you DO. Tournament Victory, though... good GOD. Sure, you 'just' need 8 people, but they have to be willing to stick with it through a whole bunch of matches just to get ONE person the badge... AND it's all kinds of glitchy on top of that. I mean, the whole ARENA is pretty glitchy, but the Tournament is notorious for it. That one, I despair at ever getting without transferring to another server...

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 6:31 PM, PotatoLove said:

In your opinion, which badge is the hardest to get other than 'bug hunter'? 

I have by no means experienced all badges, but I find No One Left Behind extremely difficult. image.png.a2adfd8d1322793526251d54f21c1592.png

There are even guides on how to do it, but you'll still get turned around by the stupid door system (Am I going up or down? What floor am I on? Is that the American "first floor" or the UK "first floor"?) and the corridors that all look alike when obscured by fire.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

1 hour ago, Herotu said:

I have by no means experienced all badges, but I find No One Left Behind extremely difficult. image.png.a2adfd8d1322793526251d54f21c1592.png

There are even guides on how to do it, but you'll still get turned around by the stupid door system (Am I going up or down? What floor am I on? Is that the American "first floor" or the UK "first floor"?) and the corridors that all look alike when obscured by fire.

That one takes a bit of practice and I still mess up.  Easier with a team where someone able to solo the boss goes to get the hostage to lead them out while everyone else goes to the usual down bodies.   Using a targetting macro helps.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 11:50 AM, Voltor said:

When I run the nightmare farms, I take people through 10 rounds of that first mission.  So that is 30 GM's total with needing 16 for the badge.  Most get to walk away happy but sometimes even with 10 rounds 1 GM just doesn't want to spawn.

Do you have 25 toons with ALL the badges? Even including this one:

https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Bug_Hunter_Badge

Edited by Purrfekshawn

To keep this game safe, We have to give it to the world.

Arc ID #13097 - Archvillain Beatdown, try it out!

Arc ID #21066 - Archvillain Beatdown - Past Edition!

Letz now talk about existing Incarnate Lore Pets:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/

On 3/19/2024 at 9:29 PM, Purrfekshawn said:

Do you have 25 toons with ALL the badges? Even including this one:

https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Bug_Hunter_Badge

Bug Hunter is a trophy, not a badge and does not count towards the grand total.

I also do not have the Rikti Vanguard training dummy nor the Excalibur toy sword on any alt, and that is perfectly fine with me.

• Like 1

25 alts with all the badges!

On 3/19/2024 at 9:14 PM, lemming said:

Bug Hunter does not count toward the total number of badges, and it's a subjective badge.

And while it's the same for this bit of info,  the HCwiki gets updates: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Bug_Hunter_Badge

That should be updated (I might do that!) The HC devs have handed out many Bug Hunter badges for assisting in testing on the beta shard. There's even a post somewhere here on the forums explaining the criteria.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

3 hours ago, Voltor said:

I also do not have the Rikti Vanguard training dummy nor the Excalibur toy sword on any alt, and that is perfectly fine with me.

Excaliboink is fun! You should get one.

Thank You to Testers!

Now that Issue 27 has been live for a few weeks, we wanted to take a moment to thank the testers who helped ensure we had a stable and polished release with their time, feedback and bug reports.

So, we'd like to extend a thank you to @Wavicle @AustinSmith @csr @Molubdos @America's Angel @Hopestar @Doomrider @Kanil @GruntledDave @Ratch_ @Tsuko @Keleko @MindOverMatter @Nayreia / Karonax @oedipus_tex @Keen @Lines @zenblack @Tater Todd @Myrmidon @Infinitum @Replacement @ScarySai @macskull @Monos King @Apparition @Vanden @Yuro, and an extra big thank you to @Bopper and @Galaxy Brain for helping to organise the testing efforts!

You've all been sent at least one Bug Hunter badge. You can find it in your account mail in-game (the same place where Super Pack items appear). Please be aware that each Bug Hunter badge can only be claimed on one character, so choose wisely 🙂 

Badge_bughunter_01.png.e8ee377a4e0cdcddd9ab7312683d4863.png

Participation in the testing process is hugely important for ensuring a solid release, so we really do appreciate the time that everyone has put in. If you're interested in earning a Bug Hunter badge for yourself, be sure to join in with the testing of future patches!

Like I said, help out with testing. It really helps the community!

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

On 3/27/2024 at 11:02 PM, Glacier Peak said:

Like I said, help out with testing. It really helps the community!

I think most of us know to go to Brainstorm to test...or is there another secret shard we're supposed to use? 
Also - it's easy to say "help out with testing"...but there's a fair number of folks, myself included, where the only way I think of to test something is to just play the game the way I'd play it on Excelsior. 

If there's something specific to be tested, that should be mentioned, and how it should be tested. 

Back on live, there was a chap who may or may not have gotten in trouble with the Paragon Devs. I think he did, because he found a bug and may or may not have exploited it before reporting it. It's all hearsay, so no idea how accurate it is. The dude was on a pb, and apparently, he was able to put a lot more than just 6 slots on a power. And it was well before ED, so he had like 22 slots on one of the nova form blasts and supposedly one shot hami. Again, that's just what I heard. No idea if it's true, but it doesn't matter. 

It shows a scenario where someone finds a bug/exploit just by training up and proceeds to use it in a fashion quite unintended. Most of us know the limit is six slots, so it would never occur to me to try to get more. (I'm quite sure that bug was addressed quickly)

I'm happy to test. I just need to know if there's something specific, and if there's a method to use when testing, if there's some sort of proper format for reporting any findings to make it more readable, etc. 

I stopped leading THE REALLY HARD WAY run a while back after numerous (and expensive) failures. I've seen it done elsewhere relatively easily, but since I tend to lead PUGs maybe that's the reason. I've really examined my own leadership and can't find anything I am doing differently than those who succeed. I may come back around to trying it again sometime.

But for me, it's TRIPLE THREAT because everyone can literally do everything right, and you can still fail the badge because the AVs regen at random times. What's truly frustrating is when you get all the AVs down to 2%, Nega's shield is down, and Chimera just TP'd so you give the kill order and... someone regens. It's like they were waiting just for me to give the kill order. Maybe if you have everyone on VC in Discord you can get everyone to instantly stop, but once you give the kill order it's really hard to stop that train. I recently suggested some ideas for a revamp to keep the badge challenging by addressing the randomness issue.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

I stopped leading THE REALLY HARD WAY run a while back after numerous (and expensive) failures. I've seen it done elsewhere relatively easily, but since I tend to lead PUGs maybe that's the reason. I've really examined my own leadership and can't find anything I am doing differently than those who succeed. I may come back around to trying it again sometime.

Unless you've taken a hard hit recently to the head, your leadership is fine.    I've been hanging out on Everlasting for the last year and while I think they are more consistent in getting "The Really Hard Way", I think there's a larger core of beefed out characters that are paying attention.

iirc, the Excel iTrials were a little more adhoc with the schedule.    On Everlasting, it may be more focused in that the Hami raid at 7pm EST happens, then there's a set TF or two, then with usual schedule iTrials of two or three.  With a weekly schedule of sorts.

Thought of one other thing: Everlasting tends to read chats a bit more due to all the RPG stuff?  <Total theory, since I've run into the "I don't read chat" plenty of times>

Either of those might contribute to it.    I've seen the Magistereum fail more from knocking Cole down too fast now a bunch of times though.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1